• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Oh I still have much to learn. But I do like to help people ... especailly women who are new so that they are not intimidated by a gun they might have purchased for protection. Most of the time women will not buy a gun until they have already been a victim of something. Even they they feel safe having it in reach a night. But it will not do them any good if they don't know how to properly use it. You don't have to hit that tiny dot on a target but practice weekly to build muscle memory to draw and fire within the size of a chest ... but you should know how to safely use it and also even better know what to do if you get a jam or stove pipe and how to quickly handle it or even better know how to prevent some of these things. How to load it... how to clean it. If they do not like semi auto and consider a revolver how heavy is the trigger. Also can a lighter trigger be installed. The best gun I had for learning was the worse gun I ever owned. It was notorius for jamming. But that gun taught me how to immedialy get it unjamed and continue to shoot. It is great to take classes and learn one on one. But practice practice practice until you are really comfortable and confident. And don't just go to a guy who says he can teach you because he thinks he knows how... but someone who is certified and can truely teach well. Most stilled teachers are very accomidating to women and want them to learn and feel comfortable. They are not intimidating. And if you as a women ever walk into a gun store and they act like you are in idot. Walk back out.. there are better placess to purchase from that will help you pick something that works for you. Sorry but not really sorry.... as you can see I am very passionate about women learning safety and being comfortable and able to carry out the task if ever needed. Otherwise the weopon they own can and will be probably be used against them. I know a range in Kokomo that offers a free range day to women weekly. The workers thrtr are great and it is a wonderful way to watch and help each other imporve their skills
    Another great post. You've demonstrated that you are quite aware of all the aspects it takes for responsible gun ownership and it's great to know that you would like to encourage other women to become knowledgeable as well.

Just a kindly word of advice and that is if you could break a long post up into paragraphs it would be helpful for others to be able read.

We all try to avoid posting what turns into a wall of words. Other than that, like I said. Great post.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Welcome to INGO! As other have stated: Great intro and solid follow up posts as well.
    Always nice to have more than just us guys here.

Please be sure to read the FAQ. Lots of good info in there like: Purple = Sarcasm. :cool:

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    Oh I still have much to learn. But I do like to help people ... especailly women who are new so that they are not intimidated by a gun they might have purchased for protection. Most of the time women will not buy a gun until they have already been a victim of something. Even they they feel safe having it in reach a night. But it will not do them any good if they don't know how to properly use it. You don't have to hit that tiny dot on a target but practice weekly to build muscle memory to draw and fire within the size of a chest ... but you should know how to safely use it and also even better know what to do if you get a jam or stove pipe and how to quickly handle it or even better know how to prevent some of these things. How to load it... how to clean it. If they do not like semi auto and consider a revolver how heavy is the trigger. Also can a lighter trigger be installed. The best gun I had for learning was the worse gun I ever owned. It was notorius for jamming. But that gun taught me how to immedialy get it unjamed and continue to shoot. It is great to take classes and learn one on one. But practice practice practice until you are really comfortable and confident. And don't just go to a guy who says he can teach you because he thinks he knows how... but someone who is certified and can truely teach well. Most stilled teachers are very accomidating to women and want them to learn and feel comfortable. They are not intimidating. And if you as a women ever walk into a gun store and they act like you are in idot. Walk back out.. there are better placess to purchase from that will help you pick something that works for you. Sorry but not really sorry.... as you can see I am very passionate about women learning safety and being comfortable and able to carry out the task if ever needed. Otherwise the weopon they own can and will be probably be used against them. I know a range in Kokomo that offers a free range day to women weekly. The workers thrtr are great and it is a wonderful way to watch and help each other imporve their skills
    You might want to check out Revere's Riders:
    It is a non-profit that offers a variety of classes. They also run ladies only introductory pistol classes and are always looking for female instructors.

K9Luvn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2024
    Gas City/ Marion
    Another great post. You've demonstrated that you are quite aware of all the aspects it takes for responsible gun ownership and it's great to know that you would like to encourage other women to become knowledgeable as well.

Just a kindly word of advice and that is if you could break a long post up into paragraphs it would be helpful for others to be able read.

We all try to avoid posting what turns into a wall of words. Other than that, like I said. Great post.
    Thank you for you kind advice. I will make sure to do that.

Reactions: KG1

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Welcome from Warsaw. Used to live between Kokomo and Marion. Still head down there on occasion.

INGO is a great community of like minded people who care about our freedoms and safety. It is also an excellent place to share ideas and learn new things.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Thank you for you kind advice. I will make sure to do that.
    Thank you for accepting the advice as it was intended. Some people bristle at any kind of advice here designed to make it a better experience for all no matter how well intentioned they are.

Otherwise carry on. I like reading and value your perspective especially coming from the viewpoint of a female, I wish there were more like you to contribute here.

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    Thank you for accepting the advice as it was intended. Some people bristle at any kind of advice here designed to make it a better experience for all no matter how well intentioned they are.

Otherwise carry on. I like reading and value your perspective especially coming from the viewpoint of a female, I wish there were more like you to contribute here.
    Some people on the forum can be real a-holes. They try to get a rise out of others. The best way to deal with them is to either ignore them or adopt a combination of Church Lady (from SNL - when it was funny) and Penny (from the Big Bang Theory) and just say "Ah, sweetie, that is so *special*." :whistle:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    In the future I would like to be able to have a rifle that can take longer shots and learn about how to adjust for them. :wavey:
    Well now, that raises more questions.
    How far do you consider "long(er) range"?
    Some consider long range to be 600+ yards, some says it's 1000 yards

Others will say 150 yards is long range gorgeous them.
    The term is somewhat subjective.

Also, what do you want yo do at "long(er) range"?
    Do you just want to put holes in paper, or do you want the ability to put holes in other targets at distance

I only ask because it's always best to match the tool to the job at hand.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Some people on the forum can be real a-holes. They try to get a rise out of others. The best way to deal with them is to either ignore them or adopt a combination of Church Lady (from SNL - when it was funny) and Penny (from the Big Bang Theory) and just say "Ah, sweetie, that is so *special*." :whistle:
    Ah sweetie... :stickpoke:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Welcome from Kokomo. I work at Marion Metal Center but have been on protracted sick leave. I'm also an armorer and if you'd like to shoot a S&W 5 shot .38 with trigger kit installed and smoothed, let me know.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom