• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I went with the Mossberg 500 Persuader, plain simple pump, 12ga, Tactical, 7+1... Most people will tell you this one or the Rem 870 for home defense. The Rem I'm told is a little heavier, but I've never held one, so I couldn't speak with experience.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. 2 classic workhorses that you can find parts, barrels and pretty much anything you want from upgraded triggers to slug barrels, etc.

BTW, nice signature. Goes in tandem with Proverbs 20:22.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    500 or 870, I give the edge to the 500. 500 is usually cheaper, just as reliable and durable, and also is easier to load since the shell lifter is out of the way and has better placement for the slide release.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Ok, both the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 will give you good service. For me there are a couple important issues that swayed me toward the 870 years ago. First of these is the frame. The 870 has one made from steel, the 500 is aluminum. This is where most of the weight difference is. The second is routine maintenance. The 500 is a bit more involved to tear down.

Like I said above either would be a good choice.

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    870 tactical with gost ring sights and extended tube is all that and a bag of chip.
    was arougn $800

Or you can get a 870 express for $400 or so, or used for less, there are literally millions of them on the planet, just got to find someone wanting to get rid of it.

good luck

richieray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Kewanna
    mossberg makes 500 that comes with field barrel and home defense barrel as well as stock and pistol grips. It literally takes 2 mins to convert from home defense to hunting/range. I love mine

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Im and 870 fan. Been a Remington fan since I was 12 and shot my first 1100. They are built like a tank, and you really cant hurt them unless you try.

Mossbergs are cheaper, and seem to be of good quality, but I once saw something happen to a new Mossberg that keeps me from ever owning one. We were out Skeet shooting one night with a friend of a friend. I knew him, but he wasnt what Id call a friend. Anyway, about station 7 he took a shot, pumped the gun, and that was it. Shell didnt eject, and it jammed the loaded shell into the empty and took a bit of effort to clear. Once we cleared it, we saw that the ejector screw had fallen out at some point and thus the ejector fell off too.
    Now if you constantly check your guns over like you should, this normally wouldnt be an issue...or would it?
    Now I know, thousands of people have never had issue one with them, and thats fine. If you had one, you probably wouldnt either, but since I saw it, its always left a bit of doubt in my mind as to weather it will work every single time I would need it to. If I got one, Id loc-tite that sucker in there first thing.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    +1 for the 870. Look for an older wingmaster and you will have a great shotgun for any use. My buddy has a 500 and I like it, but I'm not a fan of the safety and it rattles more than my 870. As others have said the 500 requires more to take down. Both great shotguns and you would be happy with either. Just go handle both and then make a decision.

Jon

Top Bottom