• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    I bought my 500 in wood trim from Walmart in Greenfield for $249 and then added an 18.5" barrel for another $89. If you want the "tactical" 3-in-one combo then Indy Gun Safety seems like they may have some in stock (18.5" & 28" barrels) with black furniture for a decent price. Finding 18.5" barrels separately is a real challenge at the moment.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    No love for the Kel Tec KSG?
    Am I the only one who thinks it's a pretty bad ass shotgun? :ar15:

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Try both. See which one "fits" you better. I went with the Mossberg simply because I prefer where the controls, especially the safety, are located. I started out shooting a Remington years ago, but never really cared for the safety. Bought a Mossberg 500 some years ago, the Remingtons started getting shot less and less, now all I own are Mossbergs. I just have more confidence that in a high stress situation I will be able to operate a Mossberg better.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Before you buy anything fondle a Benelli SuperNova, either with the pistol grip or comfort tech stock.

I was in the same possition as you a 2 couple moths ago. I handle a 870, not bad I thought. Handled a Moss 500 and went meh. It felt cheap. Then I picked up a SuperNova and said "hell yes!". For me it pointed naturally, felt solid and comfortable. Plus the ghost rings rock! Mine has the 18" barrel.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I own a Mossberg 500, love it, have had no problems with it, have owned it now for 4 years.

I have also used an 870 several times borrowing from friends, It is a fine shotgun. You cannot go wrong with either.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I think the KSG would be great but it is an unrealistic suggestion at this point in time.

I have seen all the other guns mentioned for sale in one place or another at reasonable prices but not the KSG.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Did Mossberg change its 500 choke tube system?

They used to run Accuchokes (same thread/design as Winchester Winchoke and Browning Invector). They were NOT steel shot rated. So one had to get "Accusteel" choke tubes for waterfowling. Accusteel were not flush fit, they extended beyond the muzzle, had a shoulder. Regular Accuchokes are rather short (but flush fit). They both are blued steel.

Standard Remington Remchokes are steel shot rated, and longer, and fit flush. And they are stainless steel.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Budget guy here too. My 870 is a used Express Supermag, have $215 in it (was camo taped to the hilt, unknown condition underneath- turned out it was like new, after 2 messy hours of cleanup).

My 1100 Magnum had a boogered up stock (not orig, just reg 1100 wood) and the parkerizing had rust stains. I redid the buttstock, sold it, put on a used bbl I had (still have the orig) and after selling the wood, getting new synth stock..........I'm at $317 bucks (because I drilled my mag cap today and added a swivel stud that cost 2 bucks- screw that expensive aftermarket sling attach cap nonsense).

I'll have another $30 in it when I Duracoat the orig bbl and receiver.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    870 is a real good choice or a Benelle Nova is a great gun also if you dont mind it being made in Italy.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Home defense and gun range fun.

i use the mossberg 500 persuader 7+1 i kick myself get the regular mossberg 500 because you can interchange barrels and switch out a longer one on for the range the persuader 7+1 has a special tube that wont let you put a longer barrel on, yes maverick makes a barell its now discontinued and costs almost 200 dollars so its not worth it. otherwise i love my mossberg just a good simple shotgun.:rockwoot:

trex75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    I picked up and 870 tactical at PSS for 349.99 last Friday. I have had an 1100 for years and wanted something new. Can't wait to get out and test it this spring.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    If $ is what you are looking at try the Maverick 88. Its identical to the Mossy 500. I think the trigger group is made with some lesser quality parts. All accessories for the 500 fit.

Top Bottom