• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have met my wife's requirement to purchase a new handgun. lol!

I am interested in doing idpa/uspsa and eventually 3 gun.I am torn between a gen 3 17 or 34 or the gen 4 34.
    I use to own a glock 19 gen 4 but sold it after brass hits me in the face with 115gr ammo. does the gen 4 glock 34 do this as well? these pistols would be my EDC as well as I am used to carrying full sized pistols. please post your opinions. TY!

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would say get your G19 back.I got hit in the face a few times with brass from a Glock 17 and that didn't make me sold it.
    With eye protection you should be fine. ;)
    If you really have to go with one of the 3 you named I would picked the G17, it's the original gun designed by Gaston.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Competition gun. I would go with as long of a slide as possible.

You should hold both the 17 and 34 and figure out what feels best in hand.

You cannot go wrong with either one.

Last edited:

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm partial to the Gen 3 G17 as it is my EDC and for competition you want as long of a sight radius as possible. Any of them will serve you well though.

chayne02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    It is good to see that you will be EDCing the gun that you will be using in the sport. So I would suggest the 17 or a 19, since you will probally be able to transition between EDC and sport best with those.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I have a gen 3 22 and 35 (the .40 models of the same size). I would suggest the 34. If you have a good holster, carrying it wont be a problem, and i think my 35 is better to shoot than my 22 so the 34 is probably better than the 17. (by better I mean I can get on target faster and make faster follow up shots. I believe this to be caused by the longer sight radius and extra weight on the end of the barrel).

I would also go with the Gen 3 over the gen 4. There are a lot more parts out there for the Gen 3 and I personally think they feel better in the hand.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Hold them both to see what fits your hand (of course) but if all feels equal, the 34 for me and upgrade to TFO sights (now or in the future.)

The beside the longer sight radius, the other little features: extended mag release, lighter trigger pull (Glock specs the 34 at 2Kg and the 17 at 2.5Kg), and extended slide stop are all things many 1911 owners have come to expect on their guns -- why not on a Glock?

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    34. Longer sight radius...check Same frame...check. Same mags...check. Little more front end weight...(meh)check. And as far as carry goes, its typically the frame that causes most issues so you are good to go. Take every advantage you can get. I like my 19 and 17, but would go the 34 route if I competed.

Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have finally narrowed it down to a 34. Gen 3 or 4. I have read that glocks now have an upgrade for their extractors to have consistent brass ejections as compared to the earlier gen 4's.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Stop shooting 115gr 9mm until your recoil spring has quite a few hundred rounds of normal ammunition through the gun. (124-147gr)

Or buy a lighter recoil spring. Should stop the brass hitting you in the face.

Any of the models are fine, get what works best for your application, and what feels best to you.

For sights I think the ameriglo hackathorn sights are the best thing since sliced bread, but that's just my opinion.

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    I have a gen4 G34 with about 3600 rounds through it. Any questions just ask me, I've had ZERO malfunctions, just my opinion, but I think to many people hopped on the "gen4's suck" wagon without trying one.

Now some, I believe and acknowledge did have some issues. But for every 1 gun, 10 people on the Internet would bash it. Just my opinion! :ingo:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have a gen4 G34 with about 3600 rounds through it. Any questions just ask me, I've had ZERO malfunctions, just my opinion, but I think to many people hopped on the "gen4's suck" wagon without trying one.

Now some, I believe and acknowledge did have some issues. But for every 1 gun, 10 people on the Internet would bash it. Just my opinion! :ingo:

The bashing was a result of the recoil springs being tuned to use normal ammunition and not the bunny fart walmart bulk ammo.

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    The bashing was a result of the recoil springs being tuned to use normal ammunition and not the bunny fart walmart bulk ammo.

2200 of the total round count was using 115gr WWB from Walmart, then I started reloading. I suppose everyone has different results, just trying to give the OP some of my experience :ar15:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom