• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    What if you wanted a 10mm 1911 that could handle Underwood-esque loads? For...around $1k.

(Necro-thread jack? It seemed silly to start another 1911 thread.)

Colt Delta elite.

Underwood now states all there loads are ok in the Delta elite. I shoot there 165 gr @ 1400 fps without issues.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Colt Delta elite.

Underwood now states all there loads are ok in the Delta elite. I shoot there 165 gr @ 1400 fps without issues.

I would ask for how long.......These rounds still bark pretty hard. I run these and the full house loads they offer in my built to the purpose 2011. A steady diet of the 1400 FPS offerings required going up on the recoil spring.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    While I do agree a stronger recoil spring is definitely a good idea its not the issue that is always brought up concerning the Delta. Case support is or lack of is what always is. The Delta does not have a ramped barrel and most will tell you one is needed for the hot loads.
    I took brass from Underwood & buffalo bore that I shot in my Delta to the NRA show and showed them to starline brass, double tap & Colts custom shop manager. I took the worst examples I had. Some did have slight bulging or as double tap called it mild " glock smiles". All of them in separate conversations said they were in no danger of a rupture. Double tap even stated that the glock 10mm was worse than the Delta and people never think twice about shooting the hot stuff in the glock. The only thing I was cautioned about was if there is a bulged case not to reload it.

Underwood has said new powder blends they use keep velocity up and pressure down.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    While I do agree a stronger recoil spring is definitely a good idea its not the issue that is always brought up concerning the Delta. Case support is or lack of is what always is. The Delta does not have a ramped barrel and most will tell you one is needed for the hot loads.
    I took brass from Underwood & buffalo bore that I shot in my Delta to the NRA show and showed them to starline brass, double tap & Colts custom shop manager. I took the worst examples I had. Some did have slight bulging or as double tap called it mild " glock smiles". All of them in separate conversations said they were in no danger of a rupture. Double tap even stated that the glock 10mm was worse than the Delta and people never think twice about shooting the hot stuff in the glock. The only thing I was cautioned about was if there is a bulged case not to reload it.

Underwood has said new powder blends they use keep velocity up and pressure down.

After I posted that I remembered it was a chamber support issue.
    AllenM built this 10mm for me to run the full house loads. It was not complete in this pic.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    After I posted that I remembered it was a chamber support issue.
    AllenM built this 10mm for me to run the full house loads. It was not complete in this pic.

i saw some old threads on that 10mm he built. That was a huge part of my desire to have one. I really love the 10mm but Glocks are all I chose to have. I don't have a 1911 and thought this could be a great addition to my collection.

I am guessing something remotely similar is WAAAAAY out of my price range.

Last edited:

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I think Kimbers are a PITA to strip for cleaning but I still like mine and the way it shoots. I never had a Colt but I doubt if I'll ever find a 1911 that would make me want to replace my Springfield Loaded in regards to looks or functionality.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I always like the looks of the CDE but avoided it because of the chamber support/ammo issue... If they have resolved that now, I may have to pick one up. I guess I need to be sure and get a newer one after they fixed it...
    Or I could just get the DW and also knock that brand off my list.

Top Bottom