• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    I know very little about rifles in general, but a while ago I bought this at Cabela's after my husband and I went there to get an "intro" bolt action rifle for me (moving up from a .22): Savage® Arms 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP Bolt-Action Rifle with Nikon BDC 3-9x40 Scope Packages : Cabela's

I can shoot ok with it, considering I'm pretty inexperienced with this particular type of rifle. The scope it came with is nice enough for me. It kicks a lot, it's more of a challenge to shoot it rather than it being something that I really enjoy shooting at this point. It's a nice challenge, though, it's doable. I don't think that physically I can handle much more than a .308.

Last edited:

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    If one does not plan on deer hunting (I don't consider sustenance in a SHTF situation in this equation), skip a 308 and stick with a 223 or a 243.

The recoil of a 308, especially in a hunting-weight rifle and double-especially for an inexperienced rifle shooter, will sour the experience quickly.

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    If one does not plan on deer hunting (I don't consider sustenance in a SHTF situation in this equation), skip a 308 and stick with a 223 or a 243.

The recoil of a 308, especially in a hunting-weight rifle and double-especially for an inexperienced rifle shooter, will sour the experience quickly.

That's what I'm thinking, in a SHTF situation, I don't think laws are really going to matter.... and my husband has like 3 or 5 other rifles (one I know for sure is a .308 and the other two are AK's I believe) and a half dozen shotguns.... I've lost count actually. But I want my own, and I want to pick it out.
    My husband owns Chaos Inc or www.chaosus.com so he has a good inventory of firearms for product development, but I'm pretty sure those are "owned" by the company... something to do with ATF and legal BS which Red Jacket down south got into trouble with because quite a few of their firearms went "missing".

Bsj425

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Jeffersonville
    That's what I'm thinking, in a SHTF situation, I don't think laws are really going to matter.... and my husband has like 3 or 5 other rifles (one I know for sure is a .308 and the other two are AK's I believe) and a half dozen shotguns.... I've lost count actually. But I want my own, and I want to pick it out.
    My husband owns Chaos Inc or www.chaosus.com so he has a good inventory of firearms for product development, but I'm pretty sure those are "owned" by the company... something to do with ATF and legal BS which Red Jacket down south got into trouble with because quite a few of their firearms went "missing".

If it is for you, I would stick with a .223 and give the mossbeRg MVP series a look they are pretty highly regarded for the price and use standard AR15 mags, so there is no shortage of them and they certainly aren't expensive.

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012

Have you shot any of his .308 rifles? Or much of any other caliber? What did you like?

autogun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 30, 2016
    NWI
    Buy used. Look around at your LGS's to see what you like. Shoot some of your h's to determine recoil levels before you buy.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    MOSIN NAGANT!:rockwoot:

Buy two (2), and still have money for a case or more of ammo.

Then, with what is left, go buy a steak dinner and celebrate the great wisdom of milsurp!:cheers:

Regards and Happy New Year,

Doug

Cola76

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Have you considered a scout rifle? They serve well for hunting and the type of defense you have described, and include iron sights.

Mossberg has a scout version in their MVP line. I have been looking at this rifel since it can be setup with a traditional scope or a long relief scope in the scout style, and it will accept AR10 and M1A magazines. https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/97195

Savage has a scout version of their Model 11, though it is right at the top of your budget: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/97914

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    Lol I've shot my old SKS a few times, haven't had a chance to shoot the .308's, the indoor range we're now members of has a limit on size of caliber.... I guess their facility can't handle certain calibers....

rennocneb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Lawrence County
    i do not beleive 223 is legal to hunt with whereas 308 is. I could be wrong im not a hunter but i dont beleive 223 is on the list of allowable high power rounds. Also id say 308 is much better at knocking down bigger game. At 100 to 400 yards most rifles today are gong to do the job pretty well. No need for a heavy barrel either if its not a benchrest gun thats gonig to see a lot of fairly rapid fire. All it does is make it heavier to tote.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    True, 223 is not approved by DNR for deer hunting in Indiana.

However, if the rifle isn't intended to be used as a deer hunting rifle, and would only be used for hunting in a SHTF-type situation...223 is more than capable of harvesting food.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Your criteria is: reasonable accuracy to 400 yards, deer legal, and something your young son can use in upcoming years. I ditto those who suggested the 243. Accuracy is good. You can load it up for deer or down to shoot varmints. The rifling twist is the same regardless of 60-100 grain bullets. And your son can shoot light bullets or light reloads as he preps for hunting season. A simple Remington or Savage would fit the bill for both equipment and budget. With the Savage, you have the advantage of a barrel swap if you want to shoot 308.

The other option is 6br. More on the custom side since you'd want a 8 twist barrel, but if you bought a Savage 243 or 308, an aftermarket barrel in 6br is affordable in the future and very suitable for your son 5 years from now. Just food for thought.

Last edited:

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    Your criteria is: reasonable accuracy to 400 yards, deer legal, and something your young son can use in upcoming years. I ditto those who suggested the 243. Accuracy is good. You can load it up for deer or down to shoot varmints. The rifling twist is the same regardless of 60-100 grain bullets. And your son can shoot light bullets or light reloads as he preps for hunting season. A simple Remington or Savage would fit the bill for both equipment and budget. With the Savage, you have the advantage of a barrel swap if you want to shoot 308.

The other option is 6br. More on the custom side since you'd want a 8 twist barrel, but if you bought a Savage 243 or 308, an aftermarket barrel in 6br is affordable in the future and very suitable for your son 5 years from now. Just food for thought.

I didn't say the plan was for my son to use this in the future, I'd most likely start him off with a 22 or youth size of his own choice. And if I decide to hunt before a SHTF scenario, then I could always use my stepson's 30-06. At this point I want a rifle I can call my own that can handle 2-3 different scenarios/situations if need be, and be fun for target shooting, and getting into distance shooting (I have to admit, I'm not familiar with the lingo)
    My husband likes the idea of the .223 caliber, it's common and cheaper than the .243
    Currently, after looking at many in the .223 category and watching reviews, I keep coming back to the Ruger American Rifle. Currently owning a Ruger SR40c and being very pleased with it, I really like the safety on the RAR, the easy in easy out magazine, and the 70 degree (or 66 to some of the reviewers) that the bolt allows, making it less likely to hit the scope as many reviewers kept mentioning. I like that the reviewers who are relatively large men with man average sized hands, constantly mention that the stock is narrow and kind of small in their hands, and the rifle is relatively light. I'm 5'3 and have relatively small hands and short fingers (even for a woman) so that really sounds like an attractive first time rifle for me.

The runner ups are:
    Weatherby Vanguard Series 2
    Savage Axis 2 XP
    Savage 16 Trophy Hunter XP
    Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP

I'll also be looking for a good scope for under $200.
    My husband's rifles are kind of bulky to me, even my SKS. Sometime this coming week I am going to get to a LGS and actually get some of these rifles in my hands, then I should know for sure. Even if I have to go to Gander Mountain or Dicks just to hold them, since some of the mom and pop shops don't always have the gun you're wanting to handle.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I didn't say the plan was for my son to use this in the future, I'd most likely start him off with a 22 or youth size of his own choice. And if I decide to hunt before a SHTF scenario, then I could always use my stepson's 30-06. At this point I want a rifle I can call my own that can handle 2-3 different scenarios/situations if need be, and be fun for target shooting, and getting into distance shooting (I have to admit, I'm not familiar with the lingo)
    My husband likes the idea of the .223 caliber, it's common and cheaper than the .243
    Currently, after looking at many in the .223 category and watching reviews, I keep coming back to the Ruger American Rifle. Currently owning a Ruger SR40c and being very pleased with it, I really like the safety on the RAR, the easy in easy out magazine, and the 70 degree (or 66 to some of the reviewers) that the bolt allows, making it less likely to hit the scope as many reviewers kept mentioning. I like that the reviewers who are relatively large men with man average sized hands, constantly mention that the stock is narrow and kind of small in their hands, and the rifle is relatively light. I'm 5'3 and have relatively small hands and short fingers (even for a woman) so that really sounds like an attractive first time rifle for me.

The runner ups are:
    Weatherby Vanguard Series 2
    Savage Axis 2 XP
    Savage 16 Trophy Hunter XP
    Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP

I'll also be looking for a good scope for under $200.
    My husband's rifles are kind of bulky to me, even my SKS. Sometime this coming week I am going to get to a LGS and actually get some of these rifles in my hands, then I should know for sure. Even if I have to go to Gander Mountain or Dicks just to hold them, since some of the mom and pop shops don't always have the gun you're wanting to handle.

It's great to see that you're really doing your homework before grabbing the first thing that looks good.
    Of course, being able to put hands on your candidate rifles and shouldering them will help even more.
    You're bound to find just the right turnbolt.
    One other thought is that it might be worthwhile to take a look at the youth rifles for their smaller dimensions, since you mention that you're a fairlly small gal.

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    It's great to see that you're really doing your homework before grabbing the first thing that looks good.
    Of course, being able to put hands on your candidate rifles and shouldering them will help even more.
    You're bound to find just the right turnbolt.
    One other thought is that it might be worthwhile to take a look at the youth rifles for their smaller dimensions, since you mention that you're a fairlly small gal.

I could definitely do that, I haven't looked the dimensions and reviews on youth rifles yet, even the RAR youths.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Another vote for the ruger American, simple effective and accurate enough. I also would recommend checking the youth models, slightly shorter barrel and stock may be perfect.

Top Bottom