• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Im not familiar with the new deer laws... is 7.62x39 legal?

You're husband has AKs. The ammo is plenty. The recoil is very manageable and imho if you can go CZ then you always should.

CZ 527 gets my vote.... you'll have to save for a scope but you get one helluva gun for the price.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Another vote for Mossberg's MVP line. They are dead accurate out of the box. There are members of the MVP owner's forum that are having custom machined aluminum replacement parts for the OEM plastic parts on the guns that really elevate them to quality, accurate rifles.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I didn't say the plan was for my son to use this in the future, I'd most likely start him off with a 22 or youth size of his own choice. And if I decide to hunt before a SHTF scenario, then I could always use my stepson's 30-06. At this point I want a rifle I can call my own that can handle 2-3 different scenarios/situations if need be, and be fun for target shooting, and getting into distance shooting (I have to admit, I'm not familiar with the lingo)
    My husband likes the idea of the .223 caliber, it's common and cheaper than the .243
    Currently, after looking at many in the .223 category and watching reviews, I keep coming back to the Ruger American Rifle. Currently owning a Ruger SR40c and being very pleased with it, I really like the safety on the RAR, the easy in easy out magazine, and the 70 degree (or 66 to some of the reviewers) that the bolt allows, making it less likely to hit the scope as many reviewers kept mentioning. I like that the reviewers who are relatively large men with man average sized hands, constantly mention that the stock is narrow and kind of small in their hands, and the rifle is relatively light. I'm 5'3 and have relatively small hands and short fingers (even for a woman) so that really sounds like an attractive first time rifle for me.

The runner ups are:
    Weatherby Vanguard Series 2
    Savage Axis 2 XP
    Savage 16 Trophy Hunter XP
    Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP

I'll also be looking for a good scope for under $200.
    My husband's rifles are kind of bulky to me, even my SKS. Sometime this coming week I am going to get to a LGS and actually get some of these rifles in my hands, then I should know for sure. Even if I have to go to Gander Mountain or Dicks just to hold them, since some of the mom and pop shops don't always have the gun you're wanting to handle.
    When you are ready talk to Alan at AAOptics about the scope. He will help you find the right scope for you and what you want from it.

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    Damn it, I really want to get to a LGS and touch them, and hold them lol. Hopefully sometime this week I can, the husband wants to come along and it's hard to get him out of the shop/office....

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Thanks so far guys, well as far as purpose goes.... I wouldn't say we're those prepper nuts but I'm looking for a weapon that can do both - feed us (large game like the whitetails around here) and also take down any would-be home invader easily at 100-400 yds which I suspect is the distance of the road to our house. If ***** ever hits the fan and we have to defend our home, I want a weapon that I can either be poking out of a window or on top of the roof and just able to take 'em out.
    But again, to also hunt with.... I've never gone hunting before, but my son is almost 5 and that is something I want him to learn and I feel I should learn and do myself as well. I'd much rather live off the land than from the grocery store.
    I sound crazy, don't I?
    No, you don't sound crazy. I would go with something in a .243 Winchester caliber myself...if not that, something in .308 Winchester. Even during the last ammo drought, .243 was on the shelves, but .308/7.62 NATO was not. There is an upside to the .308 though, and that is the military uses it as the 7.62 NATO, which is safe to shoot in a bolt gun with a caliber of .308 Winchester. If the crap did hit the fan, finding .308/7.62 NATO, might not be that difficult. JMHO.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Im not familiar with the new deer laws... is 7.62x39 legal?

You're husband has AKs. The ammo is plenty. The recoil is very manageable and imho if you can go CZ then you always should.

CZ 527 gets my vote.... you'll have to save for a scope but you get one helluva gun for the price.

Both 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R were specifically allowed, as per the rule change.
    There was initially a lot of debate about whether that would happen, since the early rifles in those chamberings had .311 bores, but the commonality of modern ones with .308 bores must have motivated allowing both calibers, so all the AK/SKS, and Mosin-Nagant guys can breathe easy.

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    If it were me, I would go for a savage model 11/111 hunter that comes with a nikon bdc scope and accutrigger. The combo can be purchased for less than $500 and the accuracy is as good as any and better than most. As far as caliber, you can't go wrong with 243,308,or 30-06. These calibers can be used to hunt deer.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Both 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R were specifically allowed, as per the rule change.
    There was initially a lot of debate about whether that would happen, since the early rifles in those chamberings had .311 bores, but the commonality of modern ones with .308 bores must have motivated allowing both calibers, so all the AK/SKS, and Mosin-Nagant guys can breathe easy.

If this is the case then 7.62x39 seems worth considering given the criteria. (Needs to be capable of use for hunting and well suited for SHTF scenario. Also needs to be recoil sensitive, lightweight and budget friendly).

This rifle excells at every one of the above mentioned categories.

• The cartridges is plenty capable of taking down a deer and recoil should be more than manageable.
    • Ammo is cheap and plentiful which should allow for tons of extra trigger time per dollar spent.
    • The set trigger gives you the option of 3.5lbs or a very crisp 1.5lb pull for increased accuracy when in "set position". Out of the box Id like to hear about a better trigger?
    • Comes standard with detachable box magazine and extra mags are very affordable.
    • Its lightweight and easy to maneuver through the woods or out of a window in a defensive position.
    • Your husband owns AKs so the ammo is compatible which is nice in a SHTF situation.
    • The rifle comes stock with backup fixed sites which is a must IMHO for any defensive carbine.

If you have the opportunity have a KNOWLEDGEABLE gun shop run you through the features. My guess is you wont feel like youve wasted your time.

Good luck in your search.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have a Remy 700 BDL in 30-06 that I bought in 1978 and it's still in very good condition. I could hit a penny at 100 yards at the time. Right now I could still keep 5 shots in a group of no more than 1.5 inches at 100 yards. I only hunt once in the 80. In CO I hit an elk at 600 yards, I saw it bucked and dropped. a long walk to the dead animal and had to wait for my friend to come with a ATV to load it and brought it back to clean it and shared the meat. It was fun, but now I am older and my car broke down. Waiting to save for the next car. Hopefully this year would be a better year for me.

Hadley1987

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Warrick County, IN
    Well, I went and picked/purchased my RAR yesterday! The guys at Right to Bear Arms were really helpful and really nice, I also got a free one hour range time card, wasn't able to test it out yesterday but I will next weekend :):):)
    I love it, from the moment I held it and looked it over and then got home and played with the bolt, the safety, the magazine and the trigger, love it all. Compared to my husband's shotguns and rifles, their mags can be such a ***** to snap in or snap out, but this one goes right in with a click and right out without a problem :D:D:D:D
    Now I'm searching for a scope, and of course I'll have to pick up a couple extra magazines.
    I am currently eyeballing the Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 Riflescope Multi-X Reticle
    1" Tube, 1/4 MOA, Matte Black.
    But it will probably be a couple weeks before I can make that purchase.

memphis_125

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    I was going back and forth between building an AR or a Bold Action rifle and was ready to pull the trigger on a Mossberg Patriot 308 but decided to build an AR instead. I have heard great things about these as they are inexpensive and shoot great. And you can get them in packages with scopes and wood stocks or just synthetic and no scope. Here is one of the reviews that I found informative. https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/mossberg-patriot-bolt-action-rifle-review/

Bandsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Pike County
    I didn't see that you said which caliber you settled on with your Ruger American. I am guessing you went with .223. I have one and like it better the more I shoot it. We spent the day last Saturday shooting out to 200 yards. I found mine really likes Hornady 75 grain ammunition.
    I am using a Redfield Revenge 4X12 scope on mine, and am very happy with it.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I guess it's too late now but Howa has a new mini action in 7.62x39. Common cheap ammo. Hunting ammo available. Small-ish and light-ish.

Top Bottom