• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    I recently picked up an ATI 1911 from another member for a pretty much unbeatable price, but after handling the gun for a bit I noticed that my hands smelled like patchouli. Sure enough the smell is soaked into the gun through and through . It's not a huge deal, but I'd rather my firearm didn't smell like a head shop or modern hippie. I'd love to give it a bath in some Hoppe's #9, but nearly all strong smells upset the lady of the house. I'm not really too concerned with ruining the finish, since it's already a little battle worn and needs some duracoat anyway (If anyone in the Carmel area does dura coat let me know). Hopefully someone on here has the answer.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'll take the stink off your hands, along with all things included by the stink. :D

I'd suggest putting a baking soda pack in a box with the pistol... other than that, no clues

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Wikipedia says, "One study suggests patchouli oil may serve as an all-purpose insect repellent." That could be handy for mosquitoes but it make it so you can't carry a BUG. :D

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    Wikipedia says, "One study suggests patchouli oil may serve as an all-purpose insect repellent." That could be handy for mosquitoes but it make it so you can't carry a BUG. :D
    It's also a people repellent, I don't want people thinking that I haven't showered in days.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a similar issue when I get guns from heavy smokers. I have one I've owned for years and when I open the case I can still smell the smoke. :dunno:

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    put it in a ziploc with some fresh mint, or a paper towel with either lemon or vanilla extract. have used these to remove the spoiled smell out of a freezer before; i would imagine it would work on your 1911.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Frog Lube will get that stink out no problems... But then it will smell like frog lube.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would take the grips off and soak the metal parts in Hopps 9. **** can the grips since that is what soaked up the stinky oil. Replace them with new wood or a nice hogue wrap around.

There are usually tons of options for grips at local gun shows or mail order. I prefer the hogue. I like the soft grippy rubber and finger groves. Hand goes to the same place every time. Since you got a good deal wouldnt hurt to spend a few bucks on it.

Top Bottom