• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I would take the grips off and soak the metal parts in Hopps 9. **** can the grips since that is what soaked up the stinky oil. Replace them with new wood or a nice hogue wrap around.

There are usually tons of options for grips at local gun shows or mail order. I prefer the hogue. I like the soft grippy rubber and finger groves. Hand goes to the same place every time. Since you got a good deal wouldnt hurt to spend a few bucks on it.
    ^^^this^^^ replace the wood.
    Really? I think you missed a few comments...

I want to know why a hippie had a 1911. :ar15:
    Ummm, he grew up? Or maybe his grandpa left it to him and he soaked it in patchouli to get rid of all the dead commie stench.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    For you or the gun? ;)
    Both :D......The grips are hogue rubber, but I may replace them with wraparounds and do some cleaning with #9 in my dads garage so that I won't get yelled at for opening the bottle in the house, no matter how aromatic it is to me.

Last edited:

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    Soak and clean in Hopp's and place in a secure place in the garage for a few days the smell of the Hopp's wont last that long. Then lube and reassemble.

Dave

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Groovy thread.
    peace-and-love-033.gif

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Store in with a bag of ground up charcoal. It doesn't have to be ground into a powder, but the more surface area the faster it will work. Either make one yourself or buy one premade: Amazon.com: Moso Natural Air Purifying Bag, 200gm, Charcoal: Pet Supplies

The charcoal can even be "reactivated" by leaving it in the sun to air out. Note, if you make it yourself, use natural charcoal and nothing with starter fluid already added.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Um, let's get this straight: Hippie Smell, 1911A, Hoppes, new grips.
    Sounds like Grandpa retired, gave away some land, didn't clean the gun with the grips removed, and needed money. Suppose he had a side job being a "Party"farmer and needed the 1911A for "muscle"?

I'd take up the Hoppes, outdoor use advised, and have at it. Gun shows have grips a plenty for 1911As, and pickup a nylon clip on holster at the the same time. Get a couple spare mags. Good to go.

Now, go shoot it, and reclean it. It's yours now. 2 times cleaned, regripped, fired with fresh ammo, completes excorsicsm. Feel free to wear any type of 1911A theme ball cap at the range, You earned it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom