• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Join the Henry Gun owners forum! There have been a few reviews and all have been favorable. It's pretty much just a steet version of a already solid gun. I have the brass version. I have been looking for the steel. When I find one, it will be mine!! A comment was made about the recoil pad. I have the brass butt plate. It doesn't have a lot of recoil.

Oh, and some Henry guns are now made in Wisconsin.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Join the Henry Gun owners forum! There have been a few reviews and all have been favorable. It's pretty much just a steet version of a already solid gun. I have the brass version. I have been looking for the steel. When I find one, it will be mine!! A comment was made about the recoil pad. I have the brass butt plate. It doesn't have a lot of recoil.

Oh, and some Henry guns are now made in Wisconsin.

great! Thanks! I'm more worried about the recoil when my wife shoots it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    great! Thanks! I'm more worried about the recoil when my wife shoots it.

My 12 year old son and my very small framed daughter shoot mine without issue. I have to about pry it out of my daughters hands. She thinks she's Anne Oakley! :laugh: With the recoil pad on the Steel Big Boy she'll have no issues. Please let us know what you think of it and take some pics!! I'll have one when I fine one.

One thing I like about the Henry's is the triggers are awesome from the get go. My action was smooth as silk from the start. Feels even better after a thousand or so rounds. I tore it all the way down when I got it (as I do with every gun I buy new or used) and found no metal shavings in side. Clean as can be. And if you have an issue Henry's CS is first class. I had an issue with a mag tube on my 45-70 and I had a new one in 2 days without a question (except for wanting my address).

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    OK, picked up the rifle yesterday. It is amazing looking. I will have to say that I am underwhelmed by the action and trigger. I dry cycled it a few hundred times last night and it is smoothing out a bit, but I kind of expected some much better.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    That is a beautiful rifle! I've not shot a Henry in anything larger than .22, but the ONLY thing that has kept me from buying on is the way you load it. That's just a personal issue, but I've never heard anything negative about functioning, finish, accuracy, or anything else. I guess I've not read about their customer service because it's not used. :):

I would buy one in a heartbeat if it had the trap door in the side...so I'm with you Que. I have a .22 Henry and the thing is awesome. They are well made rifles.

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to the Henry club. This has been my favorite gun for some time now. The accuracy I get out of mine with handloads is almost unbelievable. I put some nice black and gold skinner sights on mine recently, another great product. Only bad thing that comes with owning a Henry, every time you put another small scratch on it you die a little bit inside, LMAO.

5aNP62rl.jpg

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Welcome to the Henry club. This has been my favorite gun for some time now. The accuracy I get out of mine with handloads is almost unbelievable. I put some nice black and gold skinner sights on mine recently, another great product. Only bad thing that comes with owning a Henry, every time you put another small scratch on it you die a little bit inside, LMAO.

My Golden Boy fellout of my unzipped gun bag onto the driveway, have you seen a grown man cry.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have to agree the Skinner's are an awesome addition. I have them on my Big Boy 44mag. What a difference it made. I could not get the feel of buckhorns.
    My Golden Boy fellout of my unzipped gun bag onto the driveway, have you seen a grown man cry.

:faint: Oh man. I feel for you. I've dinged my 44 a few times. It sucks. But I'd rather use it and put a few marks on it then let it set in the safe!

SicSTi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ya the butt plate on mine is pretty scratched up from resting on the bottom of my tree stand, but thats easy to replace. However my walnut furniture has a couple scratches as well. But the way I look at it, I'm still using it as a full time hunting rifle and when I use it for another 20 years the wear and scratches will just add character to a gun I will have for the rest of my life. There are no safe queens in this guys house, if I buy it then it will be put to work.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    This is the exact reason I went with the steel over the brass. I love the brass, but couldn't bring myself to beat the hell out of it while hunting.
    I have already been looking at the skinner sights, but I need to figure out if I am going to put a scope on it or not first. Really thinking about getting an old (new production) weaver k4. Kind looks like it would belong on there....

bkflyer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    I don't know much about the rifle( other than I'd love to have any one of them) but I do know a little about their customer service. A coworker won a .44 ( he already has a .22!!!). A beautiful gun. But he said the wood didn't match up to the brass the way his 22 did and the lever didn't come all the way down/ shut when in the firing position. He didn't really feel good about calling the company about such small matters when he didn't even pay for the gun but he made the call. 14 days later ( at NO charge to him) a BEAUTIFUL gun! Customer service like that is a rare thing now days!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    This is the exact reason I went with the steel over the brass. I love the brass, but couldn't bring myself to beat the hell out of it while hunting.
    I have already been looking at the skinner sights, but I need to figure out if I am going to put a scope on it or not first. Really thinking about getting an old (new production) weaver k4. Kind looks like it would belong on there....

Actually the brass polishes scratches out well. Unlike blueing. I will admit the maintenance labor is high if you want a pretty rifle. But only a investment in time. Not so much $$. Something cool about the brass.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Actually the brass polishes scratches out well. Unlike blueing. I will admit the maintenance labor is high if you want a pretty rifle. But only a investment in time. Not so much $$. Something cool about the brass.

No doubt. I plan on getting another one, but brass, sometime next year.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    OK, picked up the rifle yesterday. It is amazing looking. I will have to say that I am underwhelmed by the action and trigger. I dry cycled it a few hundred times last night and it is smoothing out a bit, but I kind of expected some much better.

I'll comment on the feel and the trigger. It is filled with heavy grease when it was built. When they build them they do not know when you will shoot it. Tomorrow or Ten years from now. It protects the gun. Either shoot it for a while or clean it really well. Trust me, it will feel a lot better as it breaks in and the lube works it's way around. Let us know it is after you have 25 or so threw it rounds. If you are still not happy please call Henry. If there is something wrong you will find they have CS second to no one.

I wish you were closer. I'd like to check it out. I am curios if your gun was made in Ws or Ct? it will stay on the barrel.

Larry

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

One caveat. If its brass plated and not fabricated of brass you can easily polish off the plating. Magnet test might tell you something, but even if it is thin solid brass on the surface there is probably a lot of steel under that so might not

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Geano's Hunting & Fishing in Lafayette is raffling off a Henry steel Big Boy in .45Colt right now.
    I've got my tickets.

$10@ or 3 for $25

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Well I will be contacting Henry tomorrow and sending my rifle in. Picked up a box of ammo today and went out to shoot. There appears to be a problem with the firing pin not protruding from the bolt face. Also, while cycling, it appears the mag spring isn't strong enough to push in the last round.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That truly sucks. And is very disappointing to hear. :(

I am curious as to what ammo you were using. It is a known issue with some of the Big Boy calibers (I think the 30-30 or the 357?) that they won't load the last round using Leverevolution or poited tipped ammo. I just picked up some for my 44mag but haven't tried it yet.

Please let us know what's wrong and how it turns out. Recent word is Henry is saying 3-4 week turn around but it's a lot closer to 2 weeks. This is a new gun style. It would seem that there is a few bumps in the road on the design.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    One caveat. If its brass plated and not fabricated of brass you can easily polish off the plating. Magnet test might tell you something, but even if it is thin solid brass on the surface there is probably a lot of steel under that so might not

The Brass guns are not plated. They are actually a solid brass zinc alloy. A little harder then just normal brass. They polish small idiot marks out well (don't ask how I know). No worries on wearing threw any plating.

Top Bottom