• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Gun Shop Owner Arrested & Thousands of Firearms Seized Following Federal Investigation

Feds Confiscate Thousands Of Guns In Raid - TheIndyChannel.com

Now when they say the guns were "missing" from the shop that's not quite accurate IIRC. For those that have never been to Ludco's and seen his full inventory let me give you an idea. He had glass counters like every gun shop has, except they had 2 or 3 levels. Guns were layed in these glass counters however they would fit like a giant tetris puzzle. You would be lucky if you could take a 50 round box of 22 ammo and stand it on it's end between guns. The counter was about 15 feet across the store then turned in an "L" shape and went another 10 feet. Every inch was filled with guns except about 4' that had knives. Behind the counter there were hooks in the ceiling where handguns would hang, close to 100 of them. Also behind the counter were rotating racks, I think 2 or 3 of them. Each rack had about 4 rows of pegs on it, each row had 6 pegs, each peg held about 5 or 6 handguns by the trigger guard. It was a swivel tree of pistols like greeting cards. The back wall, OMG. There were hundreds of rifles of all different kinds lined up against it. No, they were not on the fancy little racks that hold one rifle per slot. They were stacked like cord wood. Out in the customer area there was an additional rifle rack that had surplus rifles and other lower dollar & used items. I never saw the back room but I'm told it was like a maze of firearms. There were gun boxes stacked from floor to near the ceiling in places.

This is a small area close to the cash register off to the side. Most of the stuff would be off to the right of him in this picture. You can see how the guns are stacked in the glass cases and a few hanging down. There is a very small section on the right edge of the picture where the rifle stack starts. This is one of the few pictures I could find of the inside. It in no way does his inventory justice. It was very interesting to see Gold Cups & BHP's hanging like Christmas ornaments.
    iu

The building is a 2 story building with what appears to be an apartment above it, don't know for sure, it could have been additional storage or his office. There is a separate building to the right that is not attached to the shop. From what I heard before a lot of those missing guns were stored in that other building due to lack of space. I seem to remember some talk from folks that know him that the straw purchase was to a felons wife, who passed the background check. Take that with a grain of salt, it was a long time ago when I heard about it

Looks like the grand total confiscated was 4300 firearms, 600K rounds of ammo, $160K
    Gun Shop Owner Gets 4-Year Sentence - TheIndyChannel.com

I wish I had your memory recall ability!
    I went in there about a half dozen times, amazed at how cramped it was in there, as you said, due to the racks upon racks of guns, knives, and other items.
    Fred at that time was definitely not exactly Mr. Personality, but I'm a tolerant sort, so unless someone is overtly insulting or ignores me, I'll let it roll off like the proverbial water off a duck's back.
    I had (wrongly) assumed that he was limited exclusively to fishing tackle and archery supplies, but a huge thanks to Woobie for explaining the reloading supplies, and another thanks for explaining that (at least when he was in there) that Fred seems a bit more customer-oriented.
    Ludco is only ten minutes of a slow drive away from me, so I'll have to swing by there next weekend now.
    Hey Woobie, maybe there will come a time when you choose to go there, and I can find time to go at the same time, assuming that my schedule (third shift with rotating days off) jibes.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I went in there about a half dozen times, amazed at how cramped it was in there, as you said, due to the racks upon racks of guns, knives, and other items.
    Fred at that time was definitely not exactly Mr. Personality, but I'm a tolerant sort, so unless someone is overtly insulting or ignores me, I'll let it roll off like the proverbial water off a duck's back.
    I had (wrongly) assumed that he was limited exclusively to fishing tackle and archery supplies, but a huge thanks to Woobie for explaining the reloading supplies, and another thanks for explaining that (at least when he was in there) that Fred seems a bit more customer-oriented.
    Ludco is only ten minutes of a slow drive away from me, so I'll have to swing by there next weekend now.
    Hey Woobie, maybe there will come a time when you choose to go there, and I can find time to go at the same time, assuming that my schedule (third shift with rotating days off) jibes.

I remember being in there when it was busy and there were probably 10 people in the shop. We were bumping into each other like a pinball machine. The news articles said there were 70 agents involved. I really want to see 70 people maneuvering in and out of that place. :lmfao:
    With that many people involved combined with the amount of inventory he had, it wouldn't surprise me if the ATF misplaced some things themselves.

Short check due to the holidays so I'm gonna have to check him out next week, too many other things to take care of this week.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

I'm off evenings and Saturdays. It would be awesome to meet up. Then afterward we can hit up the Chocolate Moose for sammiches. I have no interest in going to the garage with it being -3 degrees, so I'm pretty well free all day.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I remember being in there when it was busy and there were probably 10 people in the shop. We were bumping into each other like a pinball machine. The news articles said there were 70 agents involved. I really want to see 70 people maneuvering in and out of that place. :lmfao:
    With that many people involved combined with the amount of inventory he had, it wouldn't surprise me if the ATF misplaced some things themselves.

Short check due to the holidays so I'm gonna have to check him out next week, too many other things to take care of this week.

He actually said they misplaced a lot of them. After the raid he found guns on 3 separate occasions and had to call the ATF to come get them.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Friend of mine took his Anaconda in there for some work. It was all face to face and no receipt was given. Then the raid happened. He has no proof that he owned the revolver. Still waiting on ATF to return it to him.

Now that Fred is out I will let the guy know. Maybe the feds are getting closer to releasing the customer's guns. Doesn't seem that the bookkeeping was in order for repairs either.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Friend of mine took his Anaconda in there for some work. It was all face to face and no receipt was given. Then the raid happened. He has no proof that he owned the revolver. Still waiting on ATF to return it to him.

Now that Fred is out I will let the guy know. Maybe the feds are getting closer to releasing the customer's guns. Doesn't seem that the bookkeeping was in order for repairs either.

He said the guns from situations like that were just now starting to trickle back in. So it would be worth looking into.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I honestly wouldn't have a clue how he kept his book straight. He did most of the work there himself. There were a couple of guys that 'helped' toward the end. Then there was my favorite guy, the tall one that looked like Bob Ross. Always seemed to know his stuff, if he didn't he would tell you, much more pleasant to deal with. He could sell stuff but didn't have the authority to do trades without Fred's input.

I imagine the paperwork side of that shop would have been a nightmare.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    When I went there he was becoming famous for not treating customers very well, several years before the raid. 70 agents in that place was totally impossible. Maybe 5 to 10 with 60 surrounding the premises.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    When I went there he was becoming famous for not treating customers very well, several years before the raid. 70 agents in that place was totally impossible. Maybe 5 to 10 with 60 surrounding the premises.

Its quite likely the media got that fact wrong, as they did many on this story. Also, they cordoned off the whole block. So between the people going for coffee, the people standing and drinking coffee, the people polishing Hoggsett's stinky shoes, and the folks who showed up for the photo op, they could have mustered close to 70.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    So he got popped for straw sale to a felon's wife?

I thought they had a lot of things on the list that he was getting in trouble for. Then there was the rumor that guns were on his books but showed up in gang related shootings out of state.

What really happened... as far as what he served for and all that?

Alexis Machine

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    NorthWest of Indy
    I haven't been in that shop in over 23 years but I remember it as plain as day. It was as everyone described it. It was piles of guns. I bought treestands and knives, magazines, ammo, the first laser site I ever purchased for a Ruger P89. The last gun I bought there was a SPAS 12 in in 1993 on my way home for summer break from college. Fred wouldn't budge on the 1300 dollar price. Fred usually never spoke unless spoken too when I was there, but he never had much to say. I did see him be short with a few people. I'm glad to hear he has a business going again.

Alexis Machine

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    NorthWest of Indy
    I haven't been in that shop in over 23 years but I remember it as plain as day. It was as everyone described it. It was piles of guns. I bought treestands and knives, magazines, ammo, the first laser site I ever purchased for a Ruger P89. The last gun I bought there was a SPAS 12 in in 1993 on my way home for summer break from college. Fred wouldn't budge on the 1300 dollar price. Fred usually never spoke unless spoken too when I was there, but he never had much to say. I did see him be short with a few people. I'm glad to hear he has a business going again.

What's up with the first post on every page?

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    Bought my first pistol there and never went back. His customer service was bottom of the barrel for me and the two friends that went with me to spend good money there. Fortunately there was another older gentleman that was there who was excellent and helped us all out.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Bought my first pistol there and never went back. His customer service was bottom of the barrel for me and the two friends that went with me to spend good money there. Fortunately there was another older gentleman that was there who was excellent and helped us all out.

Sorta skinny with a beard?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So he got popped for straw sale to a felon's wife?

I thought they had a lot of things on the list that he was getting in trouble for. Then there was the rumor that guns were on his books but showed up in gang related shootings out of state.

What really happened... as far as what he served for and all that?

The media reported a bunch of stuff, but from my understanding, it didn't all stick. They found most or all of the guns, but I think he still got busted for storing some across the alley. There were actually 2 or 3 straw sales reported, but I think only one stuck because the other ones were entrapment. But this is all going off memory, and some is hearsay. I would like to see the actual plea agreement to figure out what for finalized.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I think that's the guy who looked a bit like Bob Ross. He was a nice guy, easy to talk to.

Merrell (sp?) was his name. Super nice guy. I think he did a lot of Fred's gun smithing work. He passed away a few years back, unfortunately. He was a bad diabetic, and I'm not sure he fully recovered from being mugged a couple of years before he passed. It was sad to see him go.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Merrell (sp?) was his name. Super nice guy. I think he did a lot of Fred's gun smithing work. He passed away a few years back, unfortunately. He was a bad diabetic, and I'm not sure he fully recovered from being mugged a couple of years before he passed. It was sad to see him go.

Yep, now that you said the name I recognize it, that was him. Very good guy. I remember him doing something with the gun smithing side of it but I never took anything in to get worked on. I didn't know about the rest of it, that sucks.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm off evenings and Saturdays. It would be awesome to meet up. Then afterward we can hit up the Chocolate Moose for sammiches. I have no interest in going to the garage with it being -3 degrees, so I'm pretty well free all day.

Will do on that.
    I'm off again Friday through Sunday next weekend, so I'll nail down a time via PM more convenient for you of those days, since I'm quite a bit closer to Parker City.
    And yes, the Chocolate Moose is great, not just for the food, but for the atmosphere.

Top Bottom