• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    They do, my kids included. Of course they eat ketchup on about everything.

And dont get the all beef hot dogs. Yuck. Get the pork and chicken ones. They are much tastier.

And if you are eating the worst of the worst cuts of meat processed and shoved in a casing, It really doesnt matter what kind of dry heat you are using. Whether its gas, charcoal or lump charcoal, you are still eating the lowest cut of meat so it really doesnt matter.

I'm not sure they even put actual meat in hot dogs.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Lol, I believe we've had this conversation around a campfire. You and I have different opinions on what makes a good hotdog, and that's ok. Someone has to eat the ****ty ones. :p
    :nono: It wouldn't let me give you rep! You are spot on.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Honestly, the best hotdogs I've ever had have been cooked on a forked stick over a camp fire. Use the bun to remove the slightly charred dog from the stick and enjoy. No condiments needed. IIRC, cold beer accompanies this well... though these days I'll treat myself to a sparkling water with lime instead.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Honestly, the best hotdogs I've ever had have been cooked on a forked stick over a camp fire. Use the bun to remove the slightly charred dog from the stick and enjoy. No condiments needed. IIRC, cold beer accompanies this well... though these days I'll treat myself to a sparkling water with lime instead.
    :thumbsup: The company matters also.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    1) campfire
    2) grilled
    3) pan-fried

Only hipsters boil them. I think microwaving them is actually listed as a sin somewhere.

In prefer kosher beef franks.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Over a fire is the best way to cook them.

Two ways to eat them....fill the bun with chopped onion, relish, mustard, ketchup and anything else that is on the table and then add the dog. All of those condiments disguise the taste of the stuff that makes up the dog.

or

Lots of peanut butter in the bun with a very hot hotdog added to make it melty and gooey and messy....yum! That old Armour Hotdog song about how do kids eat Armour hotdogs gave us the idea for that when they said "even peanut butter" as a way that kids ate them. We just HAD to try it and WE LIKED IT!

(It should be noted that this advertising jingle was popular way before my time as I am a mere 29 years old)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot dogs are one of those great foods that are good just about any way they are fixed. I like mine grilled with onions and Tabasco .

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Grilled with either mustard or chili and onions.

Also, hotdog = wiener = frank = frankfurter = tube steak. It's kinda the 9mm Luger of tube meats.

[video=youtube_share;aNddW2xmZp8]http://youtu.be/aNddW2xmZp8[/video]

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    1) campfire
    2) grilled
    3) pan-fried

Only hipsters boil them. I think microwaving them is actually listed as a sin somewhere.

In prefer kosher beef franks.
    There was this comedian who said his mom made hot soup using the water the dogs were boiled in. Can't remember who it was. Dogs on Tues., hotdog soup on Wed.

Lelliott8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    :faint:

I thought some people did that.

I told you it was contentious. If you liked the ketchup, feel free to put ketchup on it. I like mine with KETCHUP ONLY! A lot of people are needlessly puristic about this because they forget that hot dogs are the Ramen Noodles of the meat family.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    No turkey dogs. All beef preferred.

Grilled over charcoal, bun placed on grill for last minute or so. Any mustard you prefer.

For a special treat: add chili with no beans.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1st.....good buns. No cheapy's. Butter them up and place on a hot flat griddle to toast them.
    2nd....Good ball park style beef franks. None of the imitation Turkey crap. Split and put in the skillet and fry them up to taste.
    3rd....Open up a can of "Wolfe" Texas style chili and heat it up.
    4th....dice up an whole onion. All of it.
    5th....Select the proper mustard for the occasion. Spicy is my favorite but the good old yellow does the trick as well.
    6th....Open face the toasted bun (2 on the plate) and place the fried dogs on them.
    7th....Mustard.....to taste.
    7th....Add the chili
    8th....Add the onion to taste.
    9th....Cover it all with shredded cheese.
    19th...Tall glass of Ice Cold Milk
    20th...Enjoy

That is the way we like them.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Grilled over lump charcoal or wood. Toasted bun with mustard, preferably the coarse grain variety.

A close second is to roast them in the oven in a cast iron skillet. Don't discount it until you have tried it, you may never boil a dog again.

Yeah WTF?

MUSTARD. Yellow will suffice but spicy brown is preferred.

I had one with ketchup and mustard.
    I will try one with just mustard.

Just so long as you don't use thay Sissy Frenchy GrisselyPooPoo mustard. That S***S.

If you ever have to serve hundreds leave them in the packages, boil in a large pot an long as you desire (they will not split), line a cooler with towels, pack the packages tightly, cover with more towels and soak with boiling water. they will stay hot for twenty four hours or more depending on the cooler. Open only the packs that you need. Any unopened packs can be re frozen.

Top Bottom