• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County

I say if you need a gun and a Hi-Point is what you can afford then just go ahead and get it. All the advice to "save your money" is good, but we all know not everyone has a lot of disposable income or excess for "saving." Some people can barely get by and that doesn't mean they shouldn't have protection for themselves and their family.

Ironically, someone posted that the Hi-Point "works" but not to depend on it for defense. I can't think of a better qualifier for a defensive pistol than it working. True, it's not going be something to open carry proudly or brag about to your buddies, but if you need a gun now, and it's what you can afford, get it.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    you get what you pay for......how many other new guns did you see for under $300???

it's better than NO gun for the home, but for carrying every day save and get better

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    you get what you pay for......how many other new guns did you see for under $300???

it's better than NO gun for the home, but for carrying every day save and get better

IF someone is ONLY looking for a HD gun, then my suggestion to them would be an inexpensive shotgun. I picked up a decent used Mossy 500 20 Ga pump with a pistol grip--they even threw in a standard stock--for $180. Personally, I would prefer that to a Hi Point sidearm any day. :twocents:

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I picked up a used C9 for $100.00 It shoots straight - every round - without a failure of any kind. Do I carry it - NO. Is it pretty - NO. Does it fulfill a need... YES. Can I count on it... YES. Can I sell it and get my money out of it...YES.
    It was a good buy, it works, and it fills a need. For me and my need, it is the right tool for the right job. What more can I ask?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Regardless of the AMOUNT of what he paid for it--when someone can only get half of their investment on something they only owned for maybe 3 months--I call it taking a bath. I don't know about you, but to me if I lose 50% of something within a few short months, it's significant.

I appreciate YMHO, but economies of scale sometimes dictate what is a loss vs what isn't. To someone who can afford a nice 1911 or tricked out AR, they can probably afford to take a $75 hit. There are others out there, like my BIL who probably should have listened to those around him who said otherwise.

So, you have never purchased a car or truck? You never have purchased and resold a TV? You never have had a garage sale? A $75 mistake is nothing if you learn from it. I think spending $600 on a 1911 and then having to spend $500 getting it to work would be "taking a bath."

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    So, you have never purchased a car or truck? You never have purchased and resold a TV? You never have had a garage sale? A $75 mistake is nothing if you learn from it. I think spending $600 on a 1911 and then having to spend $500 getting it to work would be "taking a bath."

Yes, I have purchased a car. But I didn't buy an AMC Pacer. I saved up a few more bucks and bought something a little more dependable.

Look: You're right--I'm wrong--and $75 is chump change. Here, I'll just go flush some cash down the toilet and call it a Hi Point moment, that'll get the electric bill paid.

Nevermind... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    They work. Owned 2C-9s with a combined 2500 rounds through them. And I had bought them used.

One came with a Fobus holster so they DO make holsters for them. (Just felt and looked a little crazy.) Some oldtimer at Roush had the .40 and .45 and let me shoot a few mags. Those look like the old Star Trek phaser. The C-9 is a little more normal looking and the funny thing is people have come up and asked if it was a new type of Glock:laugh:. Seriously.

I wish I would have kept one or bought one new before I moved.
    C-9 will also work with the 10 round mags from the 995. They just hang out a little.
    Would be a good budget, camp, or extra range gun.

Anyone shot the 4595? can;t seem to find a reference in the search.:hijack:

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Yes, I have purchased a car. But I didn't buy an AMC Pacer.

Look: You're right--I'm wrong--and $75 is chump change. Here, I'll just go flush some cash down the toilet and call it a Hi Point moment, that'll get the electric bill paid.

Nevermind... :rolleyes:

Your just being a little extreme. Never had a date huh? I flushed more than $75 down the drain on a couple of those.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    They work. Owned 2C-9s with a combined 2500 rounds through them. And I had bought them used.

One came with a Fobus holster so they DO make holsters for them. (Just felt and looked a little crazy.) Some oldtimer at Roush had the .40 and .45 and let me shoot a few mags. Those look like the old Star Trek phaser. The C-9 is a little more normal looking and the funny thing is people have come up and asked if it was a new type of Glock:laugh:. Seriously.

I wish I would have kept one or bought one new before I moved.
    C-9 will also work with the 10 round mags from the 995. They just hang out a little.
    Would be a good budget, camp, or extra range gun.

Anyone shot the 4595? can;t seem to find a reference in the search.:hijack:
    THey would also work well for an emergency pistol in your BOB. People are just too "prissy" now

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Another poor lady who got ripped off by Don. There was a thread last week or so where some gal paid $700 for a Bersa 380 at Don's. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I read that story.

At least she got a box of 50 rounds and 30 minutes range time! Don just loves selling guns! That's why he included "$350 worth of range & ammo". I have to second the emoticons here: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Top Bottom