• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i had a cf380. picked it up for $60 a few years ago. hated it from the word go. dont know why i bought it accept for the price tag. i sent it back to hi point 3 times before i trashed it. it would not cycle ammo to save its life. tried over 5 different types with same results. also didnt like to extract. so finally i gave up and did the responsible thing. put it back with the old toasters and can openers where it belongs.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Its ugly. Real ugly. It looks like its from Star Trek...maybe its you thing.

They are a pain to clean, but it gets easier each time you take it apart.

Its heavy and no one makes a holster for it.... Sonyoundont want to carry it.

It does shoot, pretty well even. It makes a good nightstand gun, or something similar.

I have had one for years andn it never leaves the house. Not every gun is meant to be carried all day, or used in competition shooting.

I overheard someone in PSS asking Bob if he had a LH OWB holster for a Hi Point. His reply was quite comical. :D

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    the way i see it. if thats all your wallet can afford right now do it. heck its better than theowing rocks

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    They are what they are. I have two HiPoint handguns and both have been 100% flawless from day one. They eat all kinds of ammo I have fed them, reliable, easy to shoot, and very accurate.

Low capacity and heavy compared to other manufacturers of the same size.
    I have a C9 and and a cf380 and I would not hesitate one bit to bet my life on them.

The $170 price tag is a bit high. They can usually be found for $140 or $150.

Bottom line, yes there are nicer handguns out there, but if this is all you can afford at the time it is certainly better than nothing. Once you have the opportunity to upgrade down the road you can still use it as a rough use gun for camping or whatnot and not worry about it.

My :twocents:

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    This is not a gun to add to your collection.

I expect to see this gun in ownership of someone if they are:

A: On a very tight budget and want something to go bang if they need it.
    B: Buying their first firearm and don't want to invest a lot on initial purchase.
    C: Plan to get in a ammo-less plastic gun fight and are using it to throw.... because Lord knows this thing is a PIG for being plastic. :D

You get what you pay for.... but I will say, for the price, nothing touches them. (Think: Lifetime Warranty with GREAT support and customer feedback)

code_red

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    East Side Indy
    A girl at work has one. She got it at Don's for $300. :rolleyes:She didn't know any better. She said "it jams all the time." Since it has such a great warranty it'd be fun to plink with. But for Edc I would save up for something a little better.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    A girl at work has one. She got it at Don's for $300. :rolleyes:She didn't know any better. She said "it jams all the time." Since it has such a great warranty it'd be fun to plink with. But for Edc I would save up for something a little better.

Another poor lady who got ripped off by Don. There was a thread last week or so where some gal paid $700 for a Bersa 380 at Don's. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

JusAdSumBellum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Central IN
    Not good ol don. He jus wunt a lil feeshin muny. If budgets tight shop around, ive seen kel tec 9s in the low 200s used from time to time. Hi points get the job done but lets face it guys, were all chuckling a bit at the guy OCing a hi point.

Again, they're better than throwing rocks and have great customer service but if it came down to it and we had to choose between X and a hi point most of us are going to pick X. They do get a worse rap than they deserve though.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    They are what they are. I have two HiPoint handguns and both have been 100% flawless from day one. They eat all kinds of ammo I have fed them, reliable, easy to shoot, and very accurate.

Low capacity and heavy compared to other manufacturers of the same size.
    I have a C9 and and a cf380 and I would not hesitate one bit to bet my life on them.

The $170 price tag is a bit high. They can usually be found for $140 or $150.

Bottom line, yes there are nicer handguns out there, but if this is all you can afford at the time it is certainly better than nothing. Once you have the opportunity to upgrade down the road you can still use it as a rough use gun for camping or whatnot and not worry about it.

My :twocents:

I have the same two pistols and agree 100%

joshua_xdm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Oh Vear
    Save your money and get a glock. Obviously more reliable and u will be more pleased. Plus if you were ever to sell it, they hold their value pretty well.:ar15:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I saw a couple of videos where these guys tried to TTD a couple of Hi Points and basically couldn't get them to quit. Overloads, driving a wood screw into the barrel, clamping it into a vise, that kind of stuff. I still wouldn't buy one, but if you're in need and on a budget, it should do you unless you luck into one of the ones that won't eject or something, but they have that lovely warranty and all.

jontz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    I could spit into Michigan
    Hi Ponit handguns fill the low end niche for people who need protection on a budget, and they do it well. As stated numerous times above, they are heavy and ugly, but that is how they keep the cost down. The warranty on them is out of this world! Hi Point will fix any problem, even normal wear and tear, even if it is a used gun you bought from someone else. They have almost no resale value, but they cost almost nothing up front. It all comes down to how you view a firearm - is it simply basic protection, or a hobby that you enjoy so you are willing to put some money into it?

growl18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    Save up some money and get something nicer. My BIL got one against my warning and within a couple of months he had to take a bath on it trading his in against something nicer.

How do you take a bath on a $150 gun? I was at my LGD when a guy traded in a used C 9. He was given $75 for it. $75 off on a gun trade in is not taking a bath even with quality guns IMO. The LGD sold it two days later at $120.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    How do you take a bath on a $150 gun? I was at my LGD when a guy traded in a used C 9. He was given $75 for it. $75 off on a gun trade in is not taking a bath even with quality guns IMO. The LGD sold it two days later at $120.

Regardless of the AMOUNT of what he paid for it--when someone can only get half of their investment on something they only owned for maybe 3 months--I call it taking a bath. I don't know about you, but to me if I lose 50% of something within a few short months, it's significant.

I appreciate YMHO, but economies of scale sometimes dictate what is a loss vs what isn't. To someone who can afford a nice 1911 or tricked out AR, they can probably afford to take a $75 hit. There are others out there, like my BIL who probably should have listened to those around him who said otherwise.

kmorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Hi Ponit handguns fill the low end niche for people who need protection on a budget, and they do it well. As stated numerous times above, they are heavy and ugly, but that is how they keep the cost down. The warranty on them is out of this world! Hi Point will fix any problem, even normal wear and tear, even if it is a used gun you bought from someone else. They have almost no resale value, but they cost almost nothing up front. It all comes down to how you view a firearm - is it simply basic protection, or a hobby that you enjoy so you are willing to put some money into it?

Completely agree with jontz. People need to remember that the Hi-Point meets a sector of the market and it does that very well. It is heavy and ugly and not meant to conceal. It is a gun that is reliable for home protection and hobby.

Top Bottom