• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Someone please explain the logic or desire to use an AR for a home defense weapon. I see a great disconnect between form, function, capability and liability exposure.

Only reasons I can think of for not using a carbine for home defense is they are loud, they require two hands and they are more difficult to secure from children while still being accessible. Otherwise they are superior to handguns in terms of capacity and shootability. Handguns are the choice for many people only because they are the gun that can be with us all the time.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I've actually been thinking about getting a suppressor for any of my guns. I think my dream HD "rifle" is something in .300 Blackout with a suppressor because of how quiet it is for a rifle suppressed.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I've actually been thinking about getting a suppressor for any of my guns. I think my dream HD "rifle" is something in .300 Blackout with a suppressor because of how quiet it is for a rifle suppressed.

I have a friend who keeps a .300 blk SBR w/ suppressor as a home defense weapon.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    the primary mag (labeled "A") for my AR is a 20rd Pmag loaded with Hornady TAP FPD (thank you TT!).
    if I'm in a home or self defense situation and I have to unload the 20 rounder then the S has definitely HTF...
    and there are plenty of higher cap mags in line behind "A"

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

Have my SBR with a can and 30 round mag full of 50 grain Barnes TSX in 5.56 waiting to be used as my HD go to gun. Right now I still have a 12 ga set up, but the rifle is much better. Lighter, shorter, more capacity.

I just need to run more rounds through it before I feel confident that it belongs there.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Someone please explain the logic or desire to use an AR for a home defense weapon. I see a great disconnect between form, function, capability and liability exposure.

• Grossly superior terminal ballistics to any handgun and in some cases, shotguns
    • Easier to get hits
    • Easier to get lots of hits in rapid succession
    • Less likely to penetrate through common building materials and exit the home than common defensive pistol rounds
    • Easy to mount a white light for verifying threats
    • etc.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    One of my two go-to guns in my bedroom is my AR with a telescoping stock. It is ready as follows: Stock pulled out just enough to touch the charging handle with my big German nose; 20 round mag; nasty light (TLR3) on the left side of the rail; EOTech on top with pop up BUIS front and rear. The strategy: Have a ton of firepower when the poor fool smashes down my bedroom door after I light him (them) up with the TLR and keep the gun as short as possible on all planes so it doesn't snag on things in the closet or my clothing. I don't want a 30 round mag snagging on anything. If I can't do it with a 20 then I'm in trouble. BTW, I do have a 30 rounder handy for a reload in case there is some awful extended fight.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    So you are saying that an AR has more risk than a handgun?

I haven't put pencil to paper but I'm thinking a 55 gr FMJ 5.56 and its cross section leaving the the muzzle at some 3200 ft a sec is going through more sheetrock than a handgun until you start getting past .44 magnum.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    • Grossly superior terminal ballistics to any handgun and in some cases, shotguns
    • Easier to get hits
    • Easier to get lots of hits in rapid succession
    • Less likely to penetrate through common building materials and exit the home than common defensive pistol rounds
    • Easy to mount a white light for verifying threats
    • etc.

And that makes it better than 8 or 9 rounds of 00 Buck plus what's in a side saddle ??? That's at a minimum of 80 + projectiles in itself.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I haven't put pencil to paper but I'm thinking a 55 gr FMJ 5.56 and its cross section leaving the the muzzle at some 3200 ft a sec is going through more sheetrock than a handgun until you start getting past .44 magnum.

Data proves that the 55 grain rifle round does not go through as much sheetrock as say a 115 grain 9mm. The round dumps its energy so much faster, and then it either tumbles or tears itself apart.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

And you would be wrong.

There exists a plenty of data, both formal, systematic testing and informal testing that demonstrates that 5.56x45mm projectiles penetrate less through drywall than do common defensive handgun bullets such as 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP. The key to penetrating such building materials is momentum, which is the product of mass x velocity. When a 55gr projectile hits, it loses velocity rapidly and had inadequate mass to continue on it path, especially in a straight line. Pistol bullets are more massive and do much better, whether FMJ or JHP.

Frankingun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Indianapolis
    On magazine capacity, wouldn't it just be best to use the standard capacity magazines for the gun? As in, 20 and 30 rounders for rifles, and whatever comes with your pistol, as in if it comes with 16 rounders, use those. Save the drums and the 30 round Glock magazines for fun time, as in taking care of the jack-o-lantern. I could see a liberal lawyer or an Al Sharpton coming down on someone who had a really long magazine in their gun when they had to put a stop on the neighborhood choirboy when he decided to come through the window at 2 a.m.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I understand the desire for more rounds, but I wouldn't use the 60 / 100 round Surefires, or even a Beta drum for a defense gun, because they are just not as reliable as conventional mags.

A 40 round P-Mag is going to be the most reliable thing over the standard 30 that is readily availible to you. Use that.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have a 30 round mag in the gun and another in a buttstock pouch. On my work rifle I have a 20-rounder in the gun and a 30 in the pouch.

A random little birdie told me congratulations may be in order? (I did hear it in a gun shop, so it could be complete BS)

Stock-Police-Chevron-Patches-Sgt175_edited-1.jpg

Top Bottom