• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    A random little birdie told me congratulations may be in order? (I did hear it in a gun shop, so it could be complete BS)

Stock-Police-Chevron-Patches-Sgt175_edited-1.jpg

The birdie was correct. I get my badge Monday and start supervisor training Tuesday.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    And you would be wrong.

There exists a plenty of data, both formal, systematic testing and informal testing that demonstrates that 5.56x45mm projectiles penetrate less through drywall than do common defensive handgun bullets such as 9mm, .40S&W, and .45ACP. The key to penetrating such building materials is momentum, which is the product of mass x velocity. When a 55gr projectile hits, it loses velocity rapidly and had inadequate mass to continue on it path, especially in a straight line. Pistol bullets are more massive and do much better, whether FMJ or JHP.

Can't feel like I was wrong when I stated I hadn't put pen to paper. Where does a 2 3/4 00 Buck round stand on penetration?

I found this interesting:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-14-rifles-shotguns-and-walls/

Last edited:

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I run just a standard 30rd mag on mine that I keep for Home Defense with a couple more mags close by. I had a couple clamped together at one time but got rid of it after I used it a few times at the range. I found the extra weight undesirable and to switch between the mags was not as easy as just dumping one and grabbing another to load.

If you need more than 30 rounds for most home defense situations you either need more time on the range or you might want to consider moving.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I use 20 round magazines in my AR's. They are totally reliable. They don't interfere with my tactical shoulder rolls.

I have 10 Ar's in a rack. As I empty out one rifle defending my home, I just grab another one from the rack.

Isn't that what everybody does?

My brother has a 1919A4 with a 250 round belt that he uses. He looks pretty cool with it. Especially if he remembers to put on his sun glasses. And if he oils his upper torso.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Can't feel like I was wrong when I stated I hadn't put pen to paper. Where does a 2 3/4 00 Buck round stand on penetration?

I found this interesting:

The Box O' Truth #14 - Rifles, Shotguns, and Walls The Box O' Truth

Pretty much everything blows through drywall the smaller faster projectile of 556 when it encounters something hard like a 2x4 will break apart/deform/dump its energy into the object. Where slower heaver objects will plow through without losing much energy.

Even birdshot is lethal through drywall just not as many sheets.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I use 20 round magazines in my AR's. They are totally reliable. They don't interfere with my tactical shoulder rolls.

I have 10 Ar's in a rack. As I empty out one rifle defending my home, I just grab another one from the rack.

Isn't that what everybody does?

My brother has a 1919A4 with a 250 round belt that he uses. He looks pretty cool with it. Especially if he remembers to put on his sun glasses. And if he oils his upper torso.

That stationary rack is costing you precious seconds. Replace it with an auto-indexing rotary rack and then build up muscle memory to always reach for the same spot.

Top Bottom