• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    O.K. I googled it, and it wasn't readily available, but I know back in the 70's was when they took the high powered rifles off the table because of property damage and manslaughter issues. Seeing and Hearing opening day when the sun comes up, could you imagine hearing a bunch of yay who's popping off high caliber rifles at phantom deer because they want to hear the gun go boom? I don't want to live in that free fire zone. Sorry to lead to some info that you might have to go to the library for, but I was alive and around then...

"high power rifles" were never on the table. Since deer were re-introduced in the '50s it's only ever been shot guns. The reason for this, was so fewer deer would be taken due to the limited range of the foster/berenke slug, thus allowing the population to grow.

I don't know what you're remembering, but it may be a bit foggy. Perhaps someone wanted to introduce center fire rifles, and people speculated wildly about blood in the streets.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    "high power rifles" were never on the table. Since deer were re-introduced in the '50s it's only ever been shot guns. The reason for this, was so fewer deer would be taken due to the limited range of the foster/berenke slug, thus allowing the population to grow.

I don't know what you're remembering, but it may be a bit foggy. Perhaps someone wanted to introduce center fire rifles, and people speculated wildly about blood in the streets.

I started deer hunting in 1968 and do not recall any legislative attempt ever to allow "high powered rifles" or "taking them off the table". Hunting and methods (guns, bows crossbows, etc) has always been the province of the DNR and NRC.

"People are still speculating wildly about blood in the streets" anytime this subject is brought up. Even when we were attempting to get PCRs allowed for deer hunting there was numerous so called hunters against them as they just knew that the woods would be full of Chuck Conners (The Rifleman) blasting away 15 or 20 times at deer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-myshKjK_k

We were even called John Wayne wannabees.. :rolleyes:

They even enlisted politicians at state and local levels but we still got it passed.. :rockwoot:

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    ...its almost like a small, vocal group of people don't want to share the deer population with an influx of new hunters lured by relaxed centerfire rules...

MickeyBlueEyes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    BFE, Indiana
    Yeah...that doesn't happen in Kentucky, where I've hunted with a centerfire rifle for the last 16 years.

There was a tragic accidental shooting 9-10 years ago near my family's farm where a hunter very stupidly shot at a sound and ended up hitting and killing his son, who was one of a handful of hunters doing a deer drive. This, despite the son wearing blaze orange. Father ended up committing suicide after his son bled out. I watched the UK Hospital helicopter circle to land from my treestand.

Could have happened just the same with a shotgun.

Like I said earlier, shotgun or rifle, ya can't fix or legislate away stupid.
    And lucky for you, Kentucky has some very nice hollers to break up the very flat land. It helps having a 90 foot tall backstop/ valley in your back yard.

TJJ

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    I would love to go hunting with a Mosin, but I don't see that happening in Indiana anytime soon.

I am glad that it opened up for some of the "pistol caliber" long guns. The Marlin 1894 in 44 is a great deer gun for where I hunt. Of course, it would be pretty rare to have a shot greater than 100yds where I hunt.

Still... I sure would like to get a Mosin out for a hunt!

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    Majority of Indiana is flat, and that's why all of us down here in the south can't understand why the HP rifle rule is in effect.

In all honesty, my land sits right next to government land, and I deal with a mass influx of out-of-towners every fall for deer season. I've had them on my property, I've had them "fence sitting" on neighboring property, I've had them spotlighting at night. I have COs out at least once a year because these yahoos have zero respect for me, my family, my property, nor that of my neighbors. It is bad enough with shotgun slugs and saboted bullets from inlines. I prefer that somebody sitting a few hundred yards on the other side of the field have LESS of a chance of hitting my family and property with a highpowered rifle capable of extreme ranges.

So exactly why do we need bigbore high powered rifles capable of sending .30 caliber plus bullets over 200 yards around here anyway? Down here in the south where you have "backstops", you usually don't have the range to necessitate the rifle anyway...

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Ten states outright ban centerfire rifles for deer; three others permit only shotguns in certain areas. States that are shotgun-only include Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio.

States that have large areas with fairly flat topography that permit centerfire rifles include every state in the southeast and most of the great plains...and there is no bloodbath of innocents in those states during deer season.

So I'll ask again - are people really, truly concerned about safety with regards to use of centerfire rifles for deer...or more concerned about a large influx of new hunters competing for bucks?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why does topography always get mentioned?:dunno:

1. You can use a .308 to shoot a coyote. How many people are injured by errant varmint rounds each year in Indiana, by county?

2. Studies on centerfire rifle vs. shotgun slugs have concluded that shotgun slugs are far more dangerous than centerfire rifle rounds.

3. Out states are even flatter than parts of Indiana but one can use centerfire rifle. What problems do these other states have?

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    There are far fewer numbers hunting coyotes and game permitting HP rifles than those hunting deer... FACT. The sheer number of gunshots during deer season prove this point, so restrictions on deer hunters will make the biggest difference in safety.

Also the point of using frangible bullets for varmint/squirrel/etc is an excellent point that seems to never be mentioned when promoting the use of HP rifles for deer. Most using HP rifles to hunt other game in Indiana use smaller bored rifles and use lighter, frangible bullets than those that would typically be used for hunting larger game such as deer. Ask a terrorist if he would prefer to be shot with a 40-60 grain HP .22 caliber or a 168+ grain HP .30 caliber. Sure, both have the potential for damage and death, but one is considerably higher than the other...

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Anonym said:
    Ask a terrorist if he would prefer to be shot with a 40-60 grain HP .22 caliber or a 168+ grain HP .30 caliber. Sure, both have the potential for damage and death, but one is considerably higher than the other...

Good thing our military is still using standard issue 30 caliber infantry weapons then.

Oh wait...

FEAR on this issue is just that - fear. Irrational fear really, given how 37 other states don't have the problems some here think making centerfires legal would cause.

Its almost like anti-gunners saying "If concealed carry is legalized, it'll be the wild west out there!". No it won't...and no it doesn't.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    High powered rifles were suggested in the first GotInput session. The DNR chose not to advance the suggestion. They did go forward with a vertical bow only early season and a late traditional MZ season. It just depends on who you know...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't think letting John Q peel 500+ yard shots at deer with a Mosin and milsurp ammo to be a good idea.
    Especially when I'm in the field past the deer.

We have enough idiots causing problems trying to employ "regular" gear.

No need to invite a new crop of morons.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Good thing our military is still using standard issue 30 caliber infantry weapons then.

Oh wait...

FEAR on this issue is just that - fear. Irrational fear really, given how 37 other states don't have the problems some here think making centerfires legal would cause.

Its almost like anti-gunners saying "If concealed carry is legalized, it'll be the wild west out there!". No it won't...and no it doesn't.

M14_DM.246192456_large.jpg

Last edited:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't think letting John Q peel 500+ yard shots at deer with a Mosin and milsurp ammo to be a good idea.
    Especially when I'm in the field past the deer.

We have enough idiots causing problems trying to employ "regular" gear.

No need to invite a new crop of morons.

If you're worried about your safety, get up in a tree. Unless they're looking for squirrels it will be 100% impossible for a missed shot to hit you.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have been 18 ft in a tree with slugs flying all around me (deer on property next door, running along ridge, shooters on farther low side).

I also have a property where the field is flat for a ways, but drops off at 300 yards. Somebody from the road peeling one off at a deer there would no doubt send bullets into the tree line on the down side (where the deer usually go, since they try to avoid being seen from the road).

Has anybody ripped one at a deer just before the drop off? Not when we've been there.
    Have had trespassers and road hunter problems though. I bet if they allow general HP rifles some punk or jerk will be blasting away and peppering the tree line beyond.

20 ft ladder stand back there, and you can't see a full blaze orange hunter in it from the road.

I've been deer hunting for 30 yrs, have had quite a few bullets fly by me (in stand and on ground). Opening up the regs IMHO means I get to have more of that friggin' fun.

Look at how folks can't figure out the regs now, and the accidents we've had. Yeah, make it so Billy can use his mom's BF's Mosin..........it will be nothing but wonderful.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom