• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Now I hope this happens since it is not set in stone yet. I am sure it can be done this Spring though if it doesn't happen this time. Not sure how active they are in Winter but I'd do it then too but not sure about the person who is the one setting it up. I really hope it happens. I haven't hunted in a long time and would love to get the chance again. :yesway:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Those wanting to keep hogs out of Indiana: too late. They're already here. And as far north as Seymore.

I MAY have a chance to hunt them soon. I'll be using 62gr NATO 5.56 load in a 1/8 twist AR + red dot. Probably my 686 on my hip just for fun.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Yes, they do! - TTSX | Barnes Bullets
    They even helpfully have suggested minimum twist rates for each of the three .224 diameter bullets bullets of that type that they offer.
    They also offer six more in their conventional (no sharp hard plastic points) TSX bullets here - TSX | Barnes Bullets
    These would be at least as good, and possibly even better, as the Nosler Partition.

I shoot them in the heart/lungs, right through the thick shoulder blade that has a reputation for stopping bullets. I've not once seen it cause any problem with a .223. It blows right through it, wreaking havoc on everything in between, before blowing right through the other side. I've not tried the behind the ear shot just because the heart/lung shots have been easy and deadly. I've seen it, though, and if you miss by a little, they run like heck. If you hit the sweet spot (brain or spine), they drop like a rock. I've heard of guys taking them that way with just a .17hmr!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I am a pretty good shot with rifle in general, will take time to get familiar with my AR in the time I have and be sure of myself and shot placement. I haven't been hog hunting, I have but have never had a chance to shoot one. I have some heavier ammo ordered and am likely to take some M855 too. If we are needing night vision, well that isn't something I have used along with a rifle but I do own some nice, weapon usable, night vision I bought last year. The sight on the rifle is also NV ready. I don't know how they will act there either,running around in small or big groups or what. :dunno:

Not sure if a head shot would work at all since they do have a thick skull and a small brain...

If at night, and they scatter and some run toward you, we were told just to stand perfectly still. They'll think you are a tree. When I killed my big hog, it was a moonless night and two small ones ran right at me. I about crapped my pants but they split and ran right by me on both sides so closely I could smell their awful stench! I mean it really scared me! The rancher had told us to just stand still when they run. I won't say that for daytime, though. If they can see you aren't a tree, they might slash at you. In the daytime, I've not had one run toward me. If so, they'd get whats left in the magazine, if I had time. I've only shot a couple in the daytime, and that was from a blind, so no worries.

Btw, I did get about 7 shots off on a hog running laterally. I missed on every single shot. I realized I led him slightly and you don't need to do that with the .223, at least at short to medium range. Fortunately, the first shot had hit him and he dropped anyway after his short but fast scamper. Before anyone disses the .223 for that scamper, we've lost a small (probably 70 pounds) hog who ran off after being bludgeoned by a .308. Shot placement IS everything. He bled everywhere, so we knew he was hit. Never did find him. I'll bet the buzzards did eventually, though.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom