• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I will take that under consideration Principal Skinner. I know they aren't clean beasts and would do horrific damage with infection likely. I have no plans of getting close to one before it is dead. I just think it would be fun to have the 44 with me too. No doubt with the AR and a 20 round mag I could take follow upshots as needed. Before I got sick I bought a chest rig for the gun for hunting but never have had a chance to use it so I thought it might be nice to give it its time in the sun.

IDK where it is we are going, really. No idea but it must be near the Ark Experience and the Creation Museum as we plan on checking those out while we are at it. Or not nearby since neither of us has anything else to do so perhaps they aren't that close and we will just have to drive there as well. I have gone out in FL near my parents place back before they moved to a condo with my M38 54r and plain old milsurp ammo. Sadly I never saw a single hog the two days I went out, again private land but it had been hunted often.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Skinner's advice is on the money. I have hit, and seen hit BIG hogs with a variety of 5.56. Put your round IN THE RIGHT SPOT and even m198 will drop big hogs in their tracks. I think a lot of the "you need a 338 Lapua to drop a hog" is based on poor shooting on moving targets. Yes they are tough animals, but for reference the big sow in the below thread was a one shot DRT with a green tip (M855). Round was tucked tight behind shoulder with the pig running at a slight away angle.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/great-outdoors/406657-texas-hogs.html#post6378331

Perhaps because hogs are denser targets the 5.56 rounds have a better environment to yaw/tumble/frag, but some VERY experienced guides and hunters we shoot with all concur that a well set up AR in 5.56 is a very good tool, IF YOU SHOOT IT WELL. Don't know how you will be hunting in KY but in Texas 99% of our work is dusk for long shots on groups and NVG/Thermal stalks then white lights for work at night at relatively close range. In both cases shooting against groups of hogs, you will get ONE precise round off, then all hell will break loose, be ready to engage movers in all directions. BE CAREFUL with your lanes of fire, particularly if night hunting.

Noting that M855 or M198 will work just fine, my personal choice is now MK262 (77gr OTM) primarily for its stellar accuracy but it also carries quite a bit more thump and is flatter for longer shots. IF you are unsure of twist in your AR I think a bonded 62 or 64 gr will serve you just fine even in a 1/9 twist AR.

Have fun it is a great time!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I am a pretty good shot with rifle in general, will take time to get familiar with my AR in the time I have and be sure of myself and shot placement. I haven't been hog hunting, I have but have never had a chance to shoot one. I have some heavier ammo ordered and am likely to take some M855 too. If we are needing night vision, well that isn't something I have used along with a rifle but I do own some nice, weapon usable, night vision I bought last year. The sight on the rifle is also NV ready. I don't know how they will act there either,running around in small or big groups or what. :dunno:

Not sure if a head shot would work at all since they do have a thick skull and a small brain...

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I personally like a Mk262 clone for pretty much everything from an AR this side of plinking and "red mist" varmint hunting.

I beaned a Kentucky doe with a 77gr Nosler CC running 2740 from a FrankenSPR a couple years ago and was very impressed with how the bullet performed; I was hoping to get a vitals shot but the test subject didn't cooperate.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    ...though I have no where I can practice shooting at night.

Print various wild hog photos off the internet, in black and white.

Tape them on the wall.

Turn off the lights and dry-fire away. That's practice, and probably all you need for NVD use in this application, given that you will be doing day-shooting for live fire practice with the weapon platform.

-Nate

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I had some 69grn Match kings loaded for my last FL hog hunt. They zipped right through hogs ran about 20 yards before hitting the dirt.

If I could do it again I would go with Win power points or a barns TSX or a Game king type projo.

223 will take hogs no problem if you know your limits of the round and yourself.

300blk will be in my hands next time.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    69grn Match kings...zipped right through hogs ran about 20 yards before hitting the dirt.

Thanks for relating that, Sniper. I've shot a LOT of 69 SMK, and a lot of meat including Hogs, but I've never shot a hog with a 69 SMK.

I LOVE that little bullet, but I hated to recommend it for this purpose. I guess I'm glad I didn't, but I still wondered.

Good post.

-Nate

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Thanks for relating that, Sniper. I've shot a LOT of 69 SMK, and a lot of meat including Hogs, but I've never shot a hog with a 69 SMK.

I LOVE that little bullet, but I hated to recommend it for this purpose. I guess I'm glad I didn't, but I still wondered.

Good post.

-Nate

I like them for other reasons. They tend to make tiny groups from the bench. :):

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    They do indeed. One of the best bullets I've ever used in any caliber, and they still hold my X-count PR at 300 prone.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I will take that under consideration Principal Skinner. I know they aren't clean beasts and would do horrific damage with infection likely. I have no plans of getting close to one before it is dead. I just think it would be fun to have the 44 with me too. No doubt with the AR and a 20 round mag I could take follow upshots as needed. Before I got sick I bought a chest rig for the gun for hunting but never have had a chance to use it so I thought it might be nice to give it its time in the sun.

IDK where it is we are going, really. No idea but it must be near the Ark Experience and the Creation Museum as we plan on checking those out while we are at it. Or not nearby since neither of us has anything else to do so perhaps they aren't that close and we will just have to drive there as well. I have gone out in FL near my parents place back before they moved to a condo with my M38 54r and plain old milsurp ammo. Sadly I never saw a single hog the two days I went out, again private land but it had been hunted often.

I know what you mean with the .44. That would be fun. I just picked up a .45-70 Marlin 1895 and I'd love to see what that thing would do to a hog, even though the .223 is much better suited for that kind of hunting. I think with a hot load, the .45-70 would slam the hog so hard it would rain bacon!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I would think if you could get a bonded bullet that would be best. I've read where folks do take hogs with 223. They generally shoot them behind the ear. Wonder if Barnes makes the triple shock in 223?

Yes, they do! - TTSX | Barnes Bullets
    They even helpfully have suggested minimum twist rates for each of the three .224 diameter bullets bullets of that type that they offer.
    They also offer six more in their conventional (no sharp hard plastic points) TSX bullets here - TSX | Barnes Bullets
    These would be at least as good, and possibly even better, as the Nosler Partition.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I bought the Noslers premade so I don't need to load this time. I just thought it would be easier. I bought some others too but will likely use the Nosler. Iwill order some Barnes as I really like their bullets.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I bought the Noslers premade so I don't need to load this time. I just thought it would be easier. I bought some others too but will likely use the Nosler. Iwill order some Barnes as I really like their bullets.

There you go.
    Those Nosler Partitions or Barnes TTSX either one will probably be the best you can possibly use in that caliber for oinkers.

Top Bottom