• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I can not see why i would be denied. All my criminal background is from when i was a kid and none of it was a felony. I have bought a ton of guns in IL and if they are selling me them with there communisim i would think IN would not have a problem with me. Im not really worried about getting denied i was more just thinking it was weird i got a hold at all. And is Kirk a lawyer?
    Criminal history is criminal history, whether you were a kid or not! Indiana uses "proper person"' to define the carry of a firearm, or licensure of same! Maybe one of your "kid" offenses makes you not a proper person in Indiana? I don't know, just sayin! Edited to add, I guess this was a purchase not a license issue, so I digress!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So i moved from IL about a year ago and had my FOID card and purchased many guns while living there. In IL there is a 2 day wait on purchases. I never had a issue when they ran my NICS that i know of but maybe cause there was already a wait is why they never said anything. So yesterday i purchased my first gun in Indiana from a dealer. I did not realize that when u buy one here u can just leave with it the same day as long as u clear the NICS. I was all excited when the sales man told me this. Then he comes back and says sorry u did not clear u will have to wait 3 days or so. We will call u. Does anyone know why i would get held up like this and has it happen to u? I was thinking maybe cause the whole IL IN resident changing thing and first purchase in Indiana. Let me know what u think.

It's likely your political comments in that section of this forum... :dunno:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Criminal history is criminal history, whether you were a kid or not! Indiana uses "proper person"' to define the carry of a firearm, or licensure of same! Maybe one of your "kid" offenses makes you not a proper person in Indiana? I don't know, just sayin! Edited to add, I guess this was a purchase not a license issue, so I digress!

Yeah. So I am pretty sure minor records are not used....But IN law would only come into play for a LTCH. NICS is federal background check. His activity as a minor wouldn't come into play. Unless he was charged as an adult....IANAL....

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I work in a gun store and have had some days when almost every call went for "Further Review." Once I was holding for almost 45 minutes for the review and it came back "Delayed." After that happened to a few of us we figured the system was overwhelmed and everything that went for FR was put on hold. It seems this was maybe between Christmas and New Years and NICS or the FBI was short staffed. BTW, I usually give our Illinois customers a special blessing when they admit where they're from. One day a guy from Maryland came in. OMG!! He got a double blessing!

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Delays can be for anything, system overwhelmed, a simple misdemeanor will usually get you delayed, and if your name is common you probably get delayed.

I know a guy who got his IN LTCH one day, and was denied on the NICS check the next. The LGS was of no use when it came to appealing because they simply didn't care and was rude about it. For that reason alone he does not go back to that store.

He didn't put his S.S number down and his name is very common.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Delays can be for anything, system overwhelmed, a simple misdemeanor will usually get you delayed, and if your name is common you probably get delayed.

I know a guy who got his IN LTCH one day, and was denied on the NICS check the next. The LGS was of no use when it came to appealing because they simply didn't care and was rude about it. For that reason alone he does not go back to that store.

He didn't put his S.S number down and his name is very common.

Why would the LGS be of use??
    They aren't the one turned it down.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I get "escalated" to "the next level for further review" every time I purchase a firearm. Sometimes the "further review" takes 30 seconds, sometimes it takes 5 minutes, but I've never been put on hold. I've always used my SSN.

Does anyone know why this happens? Prior service? I had some clearances, but I would think that would point towards being a "proper person."

When political "figures" come to town I sometimes work the events in a technical capacity (video), and that sometimes requires that my personal info be submitted in advance to the Secret Service... I'm not 100% certain what they do with the info (I have a pretty good guess), but I've never been denied access.

I have a couple stamps (and a LTCH), but a lot of people have more stamps and they don't get "escalated."

Clean record...

I'd kinda like to file a FOIA on myself, but that may cause/trigger something worse. :dunno:

Does anyone else have this issue? Does anyone know why a person might have this issue? It's not a big deal, but it makes me wonder...

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I get "escalated" to "the next level for further review" every time I purchase a firearm. Sometimes the "further review" takes 30 seconds, sometimes it takes 5 minutes, but I've never been put on hold. I've always used my SSN.

Same thing happens to me every time as well. Lately its usually only takes a minute or two and then I am approved. Once had to wait a day... which was annoying cause I purchased at the 1500, so had to drive to where ever that shop was to pick it up, which ment an hour and a half each way. I have a common name so I always assumed that was the reason. Ever since I started putting ssn on it, never had an issue since.

gatorindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    I have the same issue. Talked to an ATF agent a couple of years ago about this. She explained that if there's a match on the name it goes to the second level. First level doesn't have access to all of the information. So there's probably someone out there with my name that hasn't been very good. I used to think it was military background, but I doubt it.

Same thing happens to me every time as well. Lately its usually only takes a minute or two and then I am approved. Once had to wait a day... which was annoying cause I purchased at the 1500, so had to drive to where ever that shop was to pick it up, which ment an hour and a half each way. I have a common name so I always assumed that was the reason. Ever since I started putting ssn on it, never had an issue since.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    It may not even be a match on your name. I have a friend that is a 911 dispatcher. He said a name may get flagged if it has a similar number of characters as another name, even if the names aren't the same. It is some sort of algorithm the program uses.

gundoc111

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2014
    Indy
    My brother in law goes through this, in another state, ALL THE TIME. It's the name that sends a flag. His is Steve Smith, one of 500,000+ in America

Me? My family was from the Czech Republic. NOBODY has my name and even fewer can pronounce it.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I get a delay every time I buy from a store. I applied for a UPIN and was denied that because I was told the charge that causes the delay was valid. The charge was a disorderly conduct in TN back in late 2003. They said it somehow shows up as a domestic charge. I always do get approved but the 3 business day wait is annoying. I need to just get that expunged but I am too lazy to figure out how to go about it.
    OP may be having a similar problem if he has misdemeanors. Certain charges are always flagged for further investigation. You need to find out what it is getting the hold put on you and get it expunged. Unless you are a procrastinator like me. If that is the case just tell yourself you will get around to it before long.

Top Bottom