• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I have had a 550 and a 650. I now have a lnl ap. My current setup is fully automated. I only load 5.56. The lnl is close to 100% function. Nothing automated is 100%. The lnl is smother and throws very close charges. It needs to be kept clean of loose powder.

550 and 650- I always hated the die holder part with the slide in the grove set up. It wears and becomes loose. The dillion slide type powder throwers sucks Imo. Charges are all over the place. The 650 is way too jerky causing spilled powder. Matter of fact it is insanely jerky.

The lnl-ap gets my vote hands down. While none of the above noted presses are junk the lnl-ap is a much more consistent setup and makes high quality loads with very little hassle.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I went through a similar decision about a year and a half ago.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/142870-dillon_v_rcbs_v.html

I ended up opting for the LNL after reading this helpful full review someone posted.
    http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

Since then, my LNL has cranked out somewhere between 20-30k rounds. I've had 2 breakages, but Hornady CS is every bit as good as Dillons (who I've used previously for breakages with my SDB) and had me back up and running in no time with no BS.

The case feeder setup does have a bit of a learning curve, but once figured out runs very well.

Even though the 650 is more money, if someone were to offer a straight trade of one for my LNL, I wouldn't take it. The only thing that could tempt me back to team blue would be a Super 1050 with a PW autodrive.

Good link, Im working threw it now, but might have ran into a issue. My reloading room is a walk in closet with low ceilings. I built a bench lower than I would have liked to accomidate for the dillon, strong mount and case feeder. In the pics of that article it appears the hornady is a good bit taller. Is that because the dillon is not on a strong mount or is it really that much taller? If it is taller that might answer my question because im not willing to lower my bench any more than it already is.

Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    ^^ it is taller. About 4 inches taller than a 650 without strong mount. It takes me 1/4 the time needed to change calibers on a LNL compared to my 650. It helps if you have a complete powder dispenser on another tool head specific to each caliber.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Wow, between Rob and Bob I'm thinking I should have looked a little closer at the LnL.

Although I have to admit, once bitten, twice shy.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    @ Rob377

That was the best link Ive seen to date. Im now leaning hard hornadys way.

I will say Im kind of cheating dillon doing this thread while andrew (Dillon guro) is on vacation, but depending on what he has to say I think hornady is my answer. Espically for the price as Im still on the fence as to if I want to tackle this project again after my last fail (all my fault) The one thing that brought me back in was the fact that I didnt lose much on my dillon resale and I honestly thought this thread would go huge in Dillons favor and confirm my guess that I needed to go that route again.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Didn't read the whole thread, but if you have troubled setting the Dillion up properly, you can always ship it to them and ask them to properly adjust it for The caliber you want and send it back assembled. Then the only thing you adjust are your dies.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I found the hornady for 390. Is that a buy it fast price, or just a average price?

Also I noticed the rebate was only good until dec 31st. does anyone know if that rebate is somthing they do year after year?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I found the hornady for 390. Is that a buy it fast price, or just a average price?

Also I noticed the rebate was only good until dec 31st. does anyone know if that rebate is somthing they do year after year?

They were doing it back in early 2011 when I bought mine for $395 on sale from Midway.

No guarantee they'll continue with the rebate, but it has been a semi-permanent fixture, if that's any help.

Crydaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I think that is a good price. do they still offer the free 500 bullets? you can easily sell those if you do not need it to offset the price more.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    You can find the Hornady on sale occasionally, but I don't see Dilllon presses on sale much. With the free bullets and the sale price I found I only paid $265 for my Hornady LNL Progressive last year.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I think that is a good price. do they still offer the free 500 bullets? you can easily sell those if you do not need it to offset the price more.

Thats like selling gold:D

The rebate is still on, but its only good until 12-31 so I may be to late to get in on that. Without the bullets I think its a good deal, With the bullets I think it turns to a no brainer. Hopfully I can still take advantage or they are running somthing similar in 2013

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    One reason it may not be a lot of Dillon comments is because you asked for only people who have used both. I used a Dillon 650 after learning on a 550. Many who start with Dillon never have a chance to try other loaders because they are satisfied. My 650 had one problem, an impatient operator. I was in such a hurry to start cranking out rounds that I didn't go through the steps to adjust everything properly. I purchased the DVD on reloading through Dillon and they used the 650 to do the video. I realized my problems were caused by me. I took the time to adjust it correctly and it ran like a completely different machine. If I need high accuracy as in bench rest 1 hole groups I always charge slightly low, then while the powder is in the scale I trickle it up to perfect on every round. This way I don't have to wonder is my charger inconsistent. On blasting ammo or practice ammo I just crank em out and they are as good as factory if not better.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    I've used/owned both.

My reloading room is now covered in blue, minus my rock chucker, and a hornady shotshell loader. IMHO the caliber changes with the Dillon are much easier and quicker. My Dillon keeps in adjustment MUCH better than the LnL did. My experience with Hornady CS was spotty at best. Dillon bends over backwards for you EVERYTIME you call.....

Just my 2 cents...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thats like selling gold:D

The rebate is still on, but its only good until 12-31 so I may be to late to get in on that. Without the bullets I think its a good deal, With the bullets I think it turns to a no brainer. Hopfully I can still take advantage or they are running somthing similar in 2013

For anyone curious, the rebate was extended until 12-31-13

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Haven't used both - but my son bought a new Hornady L&L with all the feeders and extras - We did a LOT of research and reload well over 30 calibers and the L&L seemed the best in changeover time and cost. He ended up a little over $2K for the L&L with everything. As far as customer service he has broken a few pins and cross threaded one bushing. He offered to pay for the bushing - they said NO - period, all parts are warranted regardless of why they failed - and sent him a new one. He couldn't ask for better customer service. The only issues he has had are that some Lee dies have to be shimmed as they are too short (guess that is really not a Hornady issue) and the ejector wire doesn't eject finished cartridges perfectly. Hornady has fixed this on the new presses, and can be retrofitted to his, but it does require a groove be added to his shell plates (they will rework for a reasonable fee but he didn't want to be without the plates while they rework them) so may add the groove at a friends tool shop. As he decided, either Dillon or Hornady are great presses - just that the L&L fitted our needs better.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Hornady customer service was great for me as well. I've had to adjust the pawls for a timing error only once at that was after resizing 600 dirty 30-06. Thought my arm was going to break but the press was fine. Read the manual on adjusting the pawls and 5 minutes later it was timing perfectly like brand new. They wore down just slightly...not a big deal. I've played around with a 650 and have spent lots of time with my LnL...but you're paying quite a bit less money for a machine that is equally good. Individual features may be slightly up and down each way, but overall the quality and usefullness of them are about equal. Go with the LnL is my suggestion. I chose that choice a couple years ago and have been very happy.

Others have as well who I have helped. I've had RCBS and Dillon guys come over and been very impressed with the bushing system and speed of caliber change if that means anything.

I sold my .30 caliber bullets (most expensive is why I chose them) for almost $100 making the cost of the press insanely cheap for a full featured progressive.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The dillon with case feed will run 784

The LNL with case feed will run 757 (from midway so Im sure it can be cheaper but 429 for the press and 329 for the case feed)

Obviously you get some free bullets, but the hornady LNL case feed is 130 bucks more than dillons (assuming Im reading right)

Top Bottom