• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • beardedbrodel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    West of Indy
    I have have nothing but positive things to say about my Dillion. Their customer service is great and once you have the machine set up, you can knock out some serious ammo.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The dillon with case feed will run 784

The LNL with case feed will run 757 (from midway so Im sure it can be cheaper but 429 for the press and 329 for the case feed)

Obviously you get some free bullets, but the hornady LNL case feed is 130 bucks more than dillons (assuming Im reading right)

I think I paid less than $600 for my LNL and case feeder about 5 years ago. And it was 1000 bullets back then. Currently, they're very similarly priced. Where you want to compare next is caliber change. A Dillon 650 caliber conversion kit is $78. A Hornady shellplate is $33. Some of the bits and pieces of the Dillon conversion kits are interchangeable from one caliber to the next so you may not need to buy a complete conversion kit for each caliber. I'm sure Dillon is counting on most of their customers buying a complete kit for each caliber.

Ease of caliber conversion adds up in costs quickly. If you want to use the powder through expanders and not have to change and set them up each time you change over, that adds up. You can buy extra quick change case activated powder drop lowers for $25 so you don't have to reset it every time you change.

If I'm going to load something on my AP, I'm going to run at least 1000 through it before I'm going to change so quick change isn't that important to me.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Also, Dillon case feeder plates are about $10 more per. That's $40 for small, large pistol and small, large rifle.

skimmer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2012
    Ease of caliber conversion adds up in costs quickly. If you want to use the powder through expanders and not have to change and set them up each time you change over, that adds up. You can buy extra quick change case activated powder drop lowers for $25 so you don't have to reset it every time you change.

+1 on the caliber conversion. I reload 300 wsm and 6.8 spc and the quick change collets make it a snap.

Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    Time is money, life time no BS warranty... Just ordered 650XL with case feeder from Brian Enos website, easy to order format, free shipping was the final kicker to commit. It's back ordered about 4 weeks .40 cal longer if looking for AR dies

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I just got my 2nd complete LNL-AP complete with case feed thanks to a fellow INGO. Also worth noting, Hornady also has a no BS warranty.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    A little preface. Ive been precision loading for years on a forster coax. Its slow and precise and on certain rounds I couldn't care less about speed all I care about is prefection.

About 2 years ago I decided to try progressive reloading. I bought a dillon 650 with case feed. I had owned it for a year or so and only loaded a few hundred rounds. I had issues with the press and spent alot of time on the phone with dillon (they were more than helpfull and sent me all the fix parts for free every time I have absolutly no complaints). By the time I got it working right I was already flusterated with the whole progressive reloading and had pretty much decided progressive reloading was not for me and decided since I only shoot a 5000ish bulk rounds a year I could buy them easier than make them and sold the press before I really got a chance to learn it well.

Now with ammo hard to find recently I have decided to re visit the issue. I believe the ability to make my own bulk ammo in a hurry is a option I would like to have in the future. When I tried progressive reloading it was very rare that I had a full hour to sit down and make ammo wich is not very fruitful. Now I have a little more time to sit down and get it right.

So on to my question. First of all im not looking for "red is the best because thats what I have and like" or "blue is the best because thats what I have and like" What I am looking for is "I have used both options, I like x about this and y about that but my favorite is ___"

I will say even though I never fully got the swing of my Dillon im kind of leaning that dirrection because Im a stickler for customer service and Dillon was outstanding. Another reason Im leaning towards Dillon is I kept my press for a couple years and really didnt lose alot on the resale.

I believe Profire arms is a dealer of both and they will get my business, Im just trying to figure out wich check to write.
    I think you will find componets as high and hard to find as ammo. At least it is in my area.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Where did you end up finding it and for how much?

I buy all my reloading stuff from profire arms. I just called him and said set me one back. I dont know if he had them in stock or on order (I cant get with him for a couple weeks so it really doesnt matter). I didnt even ask price as Ive always done this with andrew and never once has he done me wrong.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Word of caution. If you buy shellplates, make sure they're for ez eject. I bought my press long before the ez eject came out. I recently bought the ez eject conversion kit and just now got around to sending my shellplates into Hornady to convert them. Just got a phone call that it'll take 5-7 weeks.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Word of caution. If you buy shellplates, make sure they're for ez eject. I bought my press long before the ez eject came out. I recently bought the ez eject conversion kit and just now got around to sending my shellplates into Hornady to convert them. Just got a phone call that it'll take 5-7 weeks.

What plates do you need? I have some extra ones from my last purchase. Be glad to loan you some if I have what you need.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I am the proud owner of 6 different Dillon presses. 3 Square Deal Bs, an RL450B that is partially converted to a 550, and 2 XL650s and should I buy another press, believe it or not, it is going to be the Hornady LNL AP.

You will not go wrong with that press. I know lots of folks that have them and they are really tickled they do. If you are going all out though, they have a bullet feeder for them too! ;)

NOW THAT would be high speed production!

Personally, I believe if you are going to go into real progressive loading, you need that 5th station. As good as we are, we are not able to catch things as well as we think we can. That station needs to have a powder sensor in it of some kind. I use the Dillon one and it can see, depending on the powder, +/-.2gr. There are others that will actually lock up the press when they detect a powder problem. Either way, you need to have an automated system of some kind for that. Yes, looking into each case before you set a bullet is STILL paramount and consistent with good reloading priniciples BUT, things can be missed.

Good for you. Have fun, be safe.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What plates do you need? I have some extra ones from my last purchase. Be glad to loan you some if I have what you need.

I appreciate the offer but I'm still waiting on the powder my brother ordered anyway. Once everything is in, I'm going to do a run of 3000 40's. if you have duplicate shellplates, you might want to consider selling them on eBay. Even the non ez eject plates are bringing $60+ for popular calibers. There was a buy it now auction for a new 223 plate that went for $170.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I am the proud owner of 6 different Dillon presses. 3 Square Deal Bs, an RL450B that is partially converted to a 550, and 2 XL650s and should I buy another press, believe it or not, it is going to be the Hornady LNL AP.

You will not go wrong with that press. I know lots of folks that have them and they are really tickled they do. If you are going all out though, they have a bullet feeder for them too! ;)

NOW THAT would be high speed production!

Personally, I believe if you are going to go into real progressive loading, you need that 5th station. As good as we are, we are not able to catch things as well as we think we can. That station needs to have a powder sensor in it of some kind. I use the Dillon one and it can see, depending on the powder, +/-.2gr. There are others that will actually lock up the press when they detect a powder problem. Either way, you need to have an automated system of some kind for that. Yes, looking into each case before you set a bullet is STILL paramount and consistent with good reloading priniciples BUT, things can be missed.

Good for you. Have fun, be safe.

I have the hornady powder cop die and quit using it. I went back to my eyeball. When I'm not crimping, I get 2 stations to eyeball each case. When crimping, I get one. The powder cop stem is too large to work reliably on small case mouths on 223. I also don't think it's going to be that accurate on flake powders. Anymore, I stick to ball powders whenever possible.

Top Bottom