• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So sorry Kirk. Sounds terrible. What a tragedy. I can't imagine.

When friends/family want the "talk" I give them an hour and a half with 35 slides. Yes, they're the "safety" rules, but I try to portray them as more than "safety rules," as larger and more significant comprehensive concepts describing how we competently, responsibly, and professionally life with and handle firearms in all situations. No exceptions.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    IMHO this was not a training error.

Simply disregarded what was taught.
    And that may be the breakdown. People will always do stupid things. However, did he “learn” the 4 rules? Learn to a point that would keep this from happening? Learn to instinctively, intrinsically, religiously and consistently exercise the four rules?

Sorry but I see the failure to bridge this path to real education almost everyday by gun owners. Noobs and trainers alike.

Yes, this is on the student but are the trainers committed to following up with their students?

We can reduce these tragedies as an industry. We did it with seatbelts, tobacco etc. Maybe a few less golf courses, roundabouts and Starbucks and many more professional shooting ranges and Finland type gun education would help as well. Follow up, responsibility and students with skin in the game may turn the “taught” into learnt.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    And that may be the breakdown. People will always do stupid things. However, did he “learn” the 4 rules? Learn to a point that would keep this from happening? Learn to instinctively, intrinsically, religiously and consistently exercise the four rules?

Sorry but I see the failure to bridge this path to real education almost everyday by gun owners. Noobs and trainers alike.

Yes, this is on the student but are the trainers committed to following up with their students?

We can reduce these tragedies as an industry. We did it with seatbelts, tobacco etc. Maybe a few less golf courses, roundabouts and Starbucks and many more professional shooting ranges and Finland type gun education would help as well. Follow up, responsibility and students with skin in the game may turn the “taught” into learnt.
    Some people do not think in absolutes.
    IMHO they tend to be the younger folks.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Kirk, sorry to hear of this tragedy endured by those of you who knew him. Unfortunately, his wife will never forget that moment in time and that's very unfortunate that she will carry that with her.

I've said it several times, that pretty much anyone who has handled a gun with any regularity has been guilty of at least sweeping or covering someone or something. But, I agree we all need to do better in how we teach and receive gun safety training.

Top Bottom