• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    That picture says it all. Muzzle not in a safe direction and finger on trigger. With a magazine in and the action closed.

And all likelihood, this person is exhibiting this behavior, because they “don’t think the gun is loaded“.

It doesn’t matter. It’s a gun for Christ’s sake!

Technically, this gun is probably inert with the firing pin removed, but it doesn’t matter if I can’t see that and confirm it for myself I’m treating it like a gun and following the rules.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That picture says it all. Muzzle not in a safe direction and finger on trigger. With a magazine in and the action closed.

And all likelihood, this person is exhibiting this behavior, because they “don’t think the gun is loaded“.

It doesn’t matter. It’s a gun for Christ’s sake!

Technically, this gun is probably inert with the firing pin removed, but it doesn’t matter if I can’t see that and confirm it for myself I’m treating it like a gun and following the rules.
    How does one get beyond, it is safe, it isn't loaded.

IME, once it because "unloaded" or "jammed" people believe that the gun transforms into a bag of marshmallows or something.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I don’t think this is as possible with existing shooters. But I do think if we teach our children from the time they know what a gun is how to safely handle it by observing muzzle and trigger discipline first and foremost, we can ingrain that behavior, and hopefully prevent tragedies like this.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Just received word that a friend's son had a fatal ND with his duty weapon in Georgia.
    Came home, withdrew magazine, left round in chamber, pointed gun at his own head and pulled trigger to show wife it was "clear".
    Why people feel the necessity to point guns at themselves (coonfingering or deliberately) is beyond me. I do not understand why some fight the Four Rules so vigorously. The gun is always loaded and never clear. Why this is hard, I do not understand.
    Guns only got one job. I grieve for my friend. USF vet, firefighter, always helped me with medical certs/training with service. I am ill for him.
    Kirk...so sorry for your loss! I can't imagine the disbelief, shock, sense of loss, etc.
    Horrible situation...unfathomable! Prayers for wife and kids!!!

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    With the type of people you're talking about (those that bristle at being coached/educated), that tack may be pointless.
    It may be better to ask them to not sweep you or your companions with their firearm. That clearly expresses to them that their acts make you feel uncomfortable. That leads the interaction away from a teaching session, directly into an interaction about respecting someone.
    If they continue on with the "don't worry, it's not loaded" stance, walk away from them, no matter how good their deals are.
    Your time on this planet is limited. You can't educate those that aren't ready or open.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    With the type of people you're talking about (those that bristle at being coached/educated), that tack may be pointless.
    It may be better to ask them to not sweep you or your companions with their firearm. That clearly expresses to them that their acts make you feel uncomfortable. That leads the interaction away from a teaching session, directly into an interaction about respecting someone.
    If they continue on with the "don't worry, it's not loaded" stance, walk away from them, no matter how good their deals are.
    Your time on this planet is limited. You can't educate those that aren't ready or open.
    Got to be a reason for this kind of pain. Somehow this recklessness and disregard for life must be stopped.

Lpherr

Occupied
    My heart goes out to his wife first and foremost.
    She will never forget that exact moment.

My condolences to his family and you, Kirk.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think it was Kirk up thread, who said a gun only has one job. This is absolutely true. A guns job is to launch a projectile. Without regard for what is in front of the muzzle. Without remorse.

It’s up to us, those who handle firearms, to teach everyone this fact. As long as a gun remains a gun by being intact and operational, it will do this job without regard to what lies in the path of its projectile.

I know this might sound silly to some, but this is what we must teach our children: not that guns are bad, of course, but guns do not have a brain. We do.

Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and most tragedies are avoided. Take this one step further by keeping fingers off triggers until ready to shoot at a chosen safe target further increases the safety margin, and finally keeping guns which are not staged for defensive use (on or off ones person) unloaded is yet another failsafe.

Follow these three simple rules, and most tragic accidents are avoided. Go forth and teach the children. This is how to honor the memories of those who die tragically in firearms accidents.

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Sorry to hear and prayers for all.

Blue gun transference and improper training may have played a role here.

One can’t just READ the diet book to loose weight…the industry needs to do better.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...You can explain the Four Rules, but people will fight you for teaching them.

Lotta folks "just too smart" :rolleyes: for the Four Rules.

Sadly, your friend's son was one of them.

Hopefully, the word gets around about foolish tragedies such as this? Others might be able to get over themselves long enough to listen? The good news is that the deceased didn't shoot the wife or kids to prove "wasn't loaded."

:ugh:

Top Bottom