• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Alright, I have owned my 1991A1 Compact for the better part of 12 years. I love this gun. But I am wanting a fullsize, 5" 1911. Spare cash is not readily available due to my other hobby (1988 corvette getting rebuilt).

So... how insane would I be to trade my beloved Colt for a RIA Tactical fullsize?

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I hate having more hobbies than income..... or to be more succinct, I hate being responsible and not borrowing to the hilt for hobbies and make myself prioritize hobbies/expenses.

The Colt has seen over 2000 rounds down the pipe from me... and I bought it used. I'd love to get some decent sites on it. I put Hogue grips on it a year after I bought it.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Dont do it!!! The Colt is way better regardless of its age ,at least trade to a more established brand & pay a little more if anything .There is really nothing wrong with a RIA but its more of a 1911 to get you started out, or get a nice build going although I do know several people who love them ,carry & trust them . Why the sudden itch for a full size ?

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Alright, I have owned my 1991A1 Compact for the better part of 12 years. I love this gun. But I am wanting a fullsize, 5" 1911. Spare cash is not readily available due to my other hobby (1988 corvette getting rebuilt).

So... how insane would I be to trade my beloved Colt for a RIA Tactical fullsize?

I would never trade a Colt for an RIA anything. The RIA 1911 I shot was a piece of crap. The feel was lousy, accuracy was lousy. Just my opinion.

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I would never trade a Colt for an RIA anything. The RIA 1911 I shot was a piece of crap. The feel was lousy, accuracy was lousy. Just my opinion.

The one I shot was just as good (if not better) than my Colt. I know the slide didn't rattle as much as mine!

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I would suggest not getting rid of the Colt. But your choice. I would get rid of the Vette first. :)

That's not happening either. If anything, I sell the bike. But the wife has talked me off that ledge a couple times already. Too many expensive hobbies, not enough disposable income.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I don't have anything against RIA's, I have had two of them. But I wouldn't trade a Colt for one, if you're dead set on trading you could trade for a variety of full size 1911's I am sure. :twocents:

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I would love a Springfield, or Colt fullsize. I just know that after a couple thousand rounds, and years of being a carry gun it's not "collector material". It's a great gun, and to be honest I have a knot in my stomach just considering this idea. It's one of the last purchases of my "single days" before the wife and has really become part of me. Just like the bike.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I own and am very happy with an RIA Compact and don't own a Colt, yet I would not make that trade. With the value the Colt should have, you might be able to find a decent Springfield full size that could be close to the same value for a trade. If you are seriously thinking of making that trade, see if you can find anyone you know well who will buy the Colt with the agreement that you can buy it back for the purchase price within 12 months.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Why don't you just put it up in the classifieds and put that money towards a full-size of your choice. You can get a better return selling to an individual than trading to a dealer. You should be able to get close at least to a springfield mil-spec. The 1500's also coming up.

jurassicnarc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    How many of us old guys remember one we never should have traded off! If what you have works, reliably 1st time every time, with reasonable accuracy, don't kick it out. You could spend over $3,000 and get one that doesn't work as well. Commander size and compacts tend to ride higher, tighter, and are more comfortable at the end of the day (unless you're heading for Afganistan.......

bobzilla

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Yeah... no plans on heading to Afghanistan. As for accuracy, I can hit 5 of 5 shots in a man sized target (torso) from 50 yards with the 3.5" barrel off-handed. I've had maybe 2 or 3 misfeeds in 12 years, all magazine related. Never had a FTE, FTF, always goes bang. I think the only thing I am unhappy with as a EDC (which I also carry the Rossi .38 at times) is it's weight.

What would be perfect for me would be able to run the 5" bbl and slide on the commander frame! Wait... can that be done?

Top Bottom