• ...and so much more!
  • marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    You're kidding right?!?!?!

Don't get me wrong RIA's are great for the money but getting rid of a colt and replacing it with an RIA? Would you replace your Vette with a Cruise? I didn't think so.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Bah-humbug.

If you've not handled a RIA 1911, I suggest you try it for yourself before making assumptions.

Don't get me wrong, Your Colt/SA/Kimber/EdB's, etc have their role...
    But picking up a Rock Island Armory 1911 means you've got a lot of interchangeable parts.

Just make sure if you're stepping down from a world class Colt 1911 to a RIA, that you're doing it for the right reasons.
    If you plan to buy it as a starting point into a 1911 to modify, Game on.
    If you're buying it JUST with the intentions of getting a full size 1911, understand you're going Cadillac to Chevy.

Still a great firearm, regardless.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I am fairly certain that full size slides/barrels do not fit the commanders, and vice versa, correct?

If you have the 1991 3.5" compact than you have the officers model frame which is both shorter in the front and the grip length than both the full-size govt and commander. The commander has the same length grip as the government only shorter up front for the 4.25" barrel and slide. A full size slide and barrel would not work on a commander with the shorter dust cover. A popular compromise is to use officers frames and commander slides.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    If you have the 1991 3.5" compact than you have the officers model frame which is both shorter in the front and the grip length than both the full-size govt and commander. The commander has the same length grip as the government only shorter up front for the 4.25" barrel and slide. A full size slide and barrel would not work on a commander with the shorter dust cover. A popular compromise is to use officers frames and commander slides.

very interesting....

geno2k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    I have that same colt and I love it. It eats any ammo I put in it and goes bang every damn time. I have owned it for close to 15 years and have only had one ftf in that time. It was caused by reloaded ammo that was barely crimped if at all. I switched to a g23 as an edc a couple years ago and it has so far performed as well as the colt without a single failure. My motivation was for greater capacity and to preserve the value of the colt. However, as far as getting rid of the colt is concerned the next owner will likely have to pry it from my cold, dead hands !:draw:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    This is the best decision you could ever possibly make.

I even have a RIA Tactical I might possibly be convinced to let go. It's a good pistol, and I have no complaints whatsoever about it. But I want something a little more compact.

<runs to the classifieds to see if there's a Colt for trade, for a RIA>

In all seriousness, if I was you and wanted to make that trade, I'd insist on at least an additional $300 - $400, or TWO Rock Islands, or a Rock Island and some other gun too. You'd be taking a big bath on that trade straight across.

Last edited:

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I once traded a gun I loved to buy one I really REALLY wanted, it has been 9 years and I am STILL trying to replace the gun I regretted trading off.

Femme Assise

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Don't do it! The colt is a fantastic firearm, you won't regret keeping it. If you do want an RIA, I would save your cash until you can afford one.

Top Bottom