• ...and so much more!
  • jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    BOR letter

I just sent a similar letter to my representative, Matt Lehman. I believe he cosponsored the three pro-gun bills that were passed last session. This sounds like something he just might get behind and push.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    There are efforts underway to change this law and a couple others. There's a process that has to be followed.

Senate and representative sponsors have been identified. Discussions are underway. Next steps are draft language, lobbying Chairmen, gathering statistics from states that permit the possession of short barrel shotguns, a lot of research into the federal lawws, and getting a sense of the roadblocks and hazards that will prevent passage. There will be stong opposition from the Sheriff's Asociation, the Police Chief's Association, the Prosecutors, the Judges; in other words the entire state criminal justice system. Then there is the Brady Bunch, numerous victim groups, street agitators, etc. These groups all have personal contact with every one of the reps and senators in the assembly. They have access that the typical citizen doesn't.

Blindly emailing your rep or senator will accomplish nothing. Telling them it's your Constitutional right will accomplish nothing. What it will do is inform the forces that will oppose this legislation to begin to make their PERSONAL contacts to ensure it never sees the light of day.

There will be a time to engage the masses. But that time is not today. Let the groundwork get laid before stirring the pot.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    There are efforts underway to change this law and a couple others. There's a process that has to be followed.

Senate and representative sponsors have been identified. Discussions are underway. Next steps are draft language, ...

...There will be a time to engage the masses. But that time is not today. Let the groundwork get laid before stirring the pot.

Quite right, Semper, in that focused email or letter-writing seems to be much more effective after a suitable bill has been filed, heard in committee and especially - if it makes it that far - when it comes to the floor for a vote. Don't want to put the cart in front of the horse.

If nothing else, members here can read over and familiarize themselves with the code as it exists today, and if they haven't already done so, use the links provided elsewhere on this site for State rep contact info on this or any other matter.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    Let's get automatic knives on that list too. So silly. My pistol and 35 rounds of ammo...no problem. My assisted opening knives...no problem.

But an auto? Oh no, can't trust me with that. I'll put someones eye out. ;)

gunduffer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    SE INDY
    I'm all for carry in schools without prejudice against students from colleges. Its legal to carry in schools isn't it but schools can kick you out for it.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The real crapper is that the actual change itself would be stone simple; just make the language in the IC read exactly the way it already does for machine guns - illegal unless registered in accordance with federal law (paraphrasing). Couch it in terms of "streamlining" the IC or something, and find a pro-gun state rep to ram it through. If we can get lifetime LTCH, the parking lot bill and transporting to the range w/o a permit done, this should be easy by comparison!
    Someone forgot how long it took to get daylight savings.

Tie it to less regulation and job creation!

If you really want SBS's in Indiana, find a way to tie it to the Dairy Farmer. He has the true power. I moved to Wisconsin. We have a major dairy industry here, we also have SBS's. Coincidence?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    No - I think the strategy with the best chance for success is to say that the federal regulations are FAR more comprehensive, and - like with machine guns - we should just track that language. Then, add the win-sauce and add legislation that if a SBS is used in a crime, there is some sort of additional penalty.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I met with three pro-gun senators in the last week and a half. They are already gearing up for this legislative session. One is in the process of drafting language to allow legal registered silencers to be used to take game in Indiana, another mentioned that he is looking into legislation making automatic knives legal as well as SBS's. And, another is looking into carry on campus. There will come a time for email, phone and letter campaigns, it just not time yet.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I met with three pro-gun senators in the last week and a half. They are already gearing up for this legislative session. One is in the process of drafting language to allow legal registered silencers to be used to take game in Indiana, another mentioned that he is looking into legislation making automatic knives legal as well as SBS's. And, another is looking into carry on campus. There will come a time for email, phone and letter campaigns, it just not time yet.

This is good news.

Top Bottom