• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    While I understand the sentiment, sometimes that might not be a smart option. At the very least, if reasonably healthy, you should be able to crack out 20 minute miles, which is more than reasonable for most people in not that great of shape.

Kuts right...Most phones now have pedometers on them and I like to see how well I am doing....I know in my backpacking days I planned on 2.5 miles per hour with the pack on and that is what I averaged depending on terrain...

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    About two feet, since I'm crippled in my right leg (not fixable). I have, however, made a two wheeled cart that will carry 720 pounds (tested) and has fat run flat (filled)tires and is narrow enough to fit through tight spaces. My plan "A" is to "Bug In"; but one never knows. If push comes to shove my wife can even haul me in it. It just goes to show, with the right prepping, even a handy capped person might survive.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    About two feet, since I'm crippled in my right leg (not fixable). I have, however, made a two wheeled cart that will carry 720 pounds (tested) and has fat run flat (filled)tires and is narrow enough to fit through tight spaces. My plan "A" is to "Bug In"; but one never knows. If push comes to shove my wife can even haul me in it. It just goes to show, with the right prepping, even a handy capped person might survive.

Can you ride a bicycle? That works too. Drive, until you have to bike, bike until you have to walk.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Furthest I've gone on foot with weapons and gear is 60 klicks. Why? Because the Army made me.

Now, I've got too much stuff here to think about going anywhere else. I could, I've got the stuff and it's packed, but by the time the really bad gets to where I am the prospect of finding better elsewhere is probably pretty slim. The prospect of setting up a good perimeter and making taking my stuff really hard is pretty good.

The family that shoots together has interlocking fields of fire.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Furthest I've gone on foot with weapons and gear is 60 klicks. Why? Because the Army made me.

Now, I've got too much stuff here to think about going anywhere else. I could, I've got the stuff and it's packed, but by the time the really bad gets to where I am the prospect of finding better elsewhere is probably pretty slim. The prospect of setting up a good perimeter and making taking my stuff really hard is pretty good.

The family that shoots together has interlocking fields of fire.

history is full of instances where people couldn't stay put in their homes. One should at least plan for the possibility to have the option. When the aliens invade, I doubt you'll last long holed up in you home against their death rays.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Can you ride a bicycle? That works too. Drive, until you have to bike, bike until you have to walk.

No. Sorry, but I can't bend one leg at all. And I don't know if the cart would fit in the car i have now. I'm in the situation as far as having way too much stuff to realistically "Bug Out". I'll probably just hunker down with my family and try to take as many bad guys with me as possible. Thank you for your suggestion and concern.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    When the aliens invade, I doubt you'll last long holed up in you home against their death rays.

Feel free to run, if you want to die sweaty and tired. I have a plan for bugging out, it's not A or B, maybe somewhere the far side of Q. If we're up against an alien mother ship I guess we need Jeff Goldblum with a computer on a stolen pod from Area 51.

If we're beyond shooting helping (large caliber with plenty of ammo) then running may be a past option anyway.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I find it interesting that so few people prep for fires, floods, tornadoes, etc... I'm sure most folks at Fort McMurry had "bug in" plans, but not "bug out". At least until the last road out of town was nearly closed. Would suck to have no road, but a clear path, and still not make it.

Sadly, I'm sure I can't carry my bag as far as I would like. Neither can my wife, or our little girl. We do still have a hoof-it plan of sorts, that includes the BOB stroller. Not great cross-country, but will get us down the road a bit. If the house unsafe/uninhabitable, and the roads blocked, we can make it into town or to a pick-up location for other family, with our 3-day packs.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Longest forced march I did was 60 klicks. I can not express how much that suc%*d. I've carried a 70lb pack at 14k' before, that was more fun because I wanted to do it...hunting.

I can understand doing it if I have to do it...though I liked the phrase 'Death before Dismount', I prefer the Mechanized Infantry...actually I prefer Armor. I like to work out in ways that don't cripple me now.

I'm too old (or stubborn) to take an ass whooping or run all day, I'll just have to kill them where I stand. Now if it's to rescue family members I'll die trying to get there if I can't.

AMEN, to that !!!!!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Longest forced march I did was 60 klicks. I can not express how much that suc%*d. I've carried a 70lb pack at 14k' before, that was more fun because I wanted to do it...hunting.

I can understand doing it if I have to do it...though I liked the phrase 'Death before Dismount', I prefer the Mechanized Infantry...actually I prefer Armor. I like to work out in ways that don't cripple me now.

I'm too old (or stubborn) to take an ass whooping or run all day, I'll just have to kill them where I stand. Now if it's to rescue family members I'll die trying to get there if I can't.

That settles it! rhino needs a TANK.

A tank with a really big hatch.

Side benefit: my poor driving skills will no longer affect me as much as they do others.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have a BUG out house...It's fifty miles away by road and about 70 miles away by Ohio river (all downstream) and a 9 mile overland after that.....

The problem is my canoe...I can't carry much beyond the family in that....

Praying we will be able to get there by road rather than river.....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a BUG out house...It's fifty miles away by road and about 70 miles away by Ohio river (all downstream) and a 9 mile overland after that.....

The problem is my canoe...I can't carry much beyond the family in that....

Praying we will be able to get there by road rather than river.....

Have you considered towing another boat or raft to carry more supplies? You could probably build a decent raft with empty 2L bottles for floatation.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I have wheels on my bag. I can't go very far compared to most, but on a reasonable surface I can go a lot farther pulling it on wheels than I can carrying it. If I had to take a bigger load, I'd go with a cart.

Well, yeah.

Plan A is stay home.

Plan B is stay home.

Plan C is use the truck.

Plan D is stay home.

same here on both posts. my "bag" is a pelican case w/ wheels. it's loaded too heavy, but it can be wheeled a long way, should plans A-D fail. haha.

good reminder, I need to go through it, replace batteries, water packs, etc ....

-rvb

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    You guys with hard wheeled carts and dollies kind of blow my mind. I agree with Kut about the bicycle idea. Big tires, pretty narrow, the Chinese moved armies over mountainous jungle terrain pushing stuff piled on top of bicycles. You can push hundreds of lbs of stuff if it is balanced on a bike. Plus, if you decide you do not need all your gear, dump it and ride the bike. That all takes for granted your physical condition allows for riding a bicycle.

As a person who worked as a furniture mover through college and worked in a warehouse forever after, I have pushed and pulled dollies and carts for miles and miles and I just cannot imagine that pushing or pulling something with hard wheels (like a dolly, luggage, etc) would not be a horrible pain in the ass if the terrain involved less than a perfectly flat, hard surface with not even sand or little pieces of gravel.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Feel free to run, if you want to die sweaty and tired. I have a plan for bugging out, it's not A or B, maybe somewhere the far side of Q. If we're up against an alien mother ship I guess we need Jeff Goldblum with a computer on a stolen pod from Area 51.

If we're beyond shooting helping (large caliber with plenty of ammo) then running may be a past option anyway.

I'm with you. Bug in is first priority, and working to make my place closer to self-sufficient makes up most of my "training". I don't know how many miles I can walk with a pack, but I know how much dirt I can turn over with a spading fork, or how much fire wood I can split and carry. Bugging out is an every day possibility, but one with a very, very low probability for us.

I do remember a job I had one summer after college, where myself and a partner lived in a tent for nine weeks near the top rim of a very deep river gorge (not in Indiana). Our camp was a little over a half-mile from the road pull-off, and the trail was up and down. Once camp was set up, water was the hardest thing, and I remember loading an aluminum pack frame with as many gallon jugs as I could tie on.

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I once had a friend in Vegas, a big prepper, showed me his stash, and told me we could meet up on Mt. Charleston if the SHTF. I was impressed at all his stuff and honestly told him I would meet him there with my family, shoot him and take his stuff in that type of emergency. He never again brought up the subject.

Top Bottom