• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    My weight is 175 and I completed 4 miles with a 35 lb backpack last week. As I get older I have been using walking sticks much more. They really help taking some of the load off my legs going up hills.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    A man can carry a fighting load of about 60 lbs and cover 20 miles a day Females Can carry about 35 lbs. melonsdad is completely correct most carry way too much. When it comes time to pick a rucksack look at the old Alice pack or the newer frameless one. Your tax money developed them and they work well. Also make sure you have day pack/assault pack in case you would have to drop your main one for whatever situation.
    If you can't carry it you don't need it.
    While I agree with much of what you said I would totally disagree with recommending a FRAMELESS pack and I would generally disagree with an Alice pack.

Internal frame pack or external frame, either one will transfer the weight to your hips and off your shoulder. You can carry far more weight a much longer distance when the weight is transferred off your shoulders. That is why the government designed the Alice pack to attach to a frame.

As for the Alice packs, they are very heavy for their capacity. Rugged as can be, but heavy. If you need to carry 30 or 40 pounds, do you want to add another 6 or 7 pounds of pack and frame weight? I'd prefer a modern backpack with articulating hip belt and lightweight internal frame what weighs in at half the weight of an Alice set up. No need for the extra pounds that add nothing to functionality.

My weight is 175 and I completed 4 miles with a 35 lb backpack last week. As I get older I have been using walking sticks much more. They really help taking some of the load off my legs going up hills.
    My 21 year old daughter uses trekking poles, I use trekking poles. Its not a matter of age, but of realizing how much they actually provide in terms of help and support for your body.

They take the stress off your knees, help provide balance, give support for downhills and aid for uphills.

Top Bottom