• ...and so much more!
  • JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    I have an XD9 sc and I really like it.

My Colt 1911 will last the rest on my life.

How long will my Springfield last?

How long do plastic guns last?

Thanks Jimmy

Edit: Just hit 500 posts, do I get a 6 pack or something?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Since "plastic" firearms haven't been around really that long, only time will tell how long they will last. Like everything else, most of it is how well you take care of it, but with some of the polymers, sometimes taking care of it isn't good enough.

That said, I honestly believe it will be several generations before we find out that they will last a really long time!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Any one particular gun might last forever, another might fail much earlier.

There can at times be some variation in mold quality from piece to piece that will affect how long each gun can go before fatigue sets in. Minute variations in wall thickness in key places might be the difference between lasting 15k rounds and 500k rounds.

On Edit: here's a link to a BASF article on the fatigue performance of PA66 and PA6, which are are the most common resins use for a fiber-reinforced polymers. Most plastic gumns are going to behave somewhat similarly: http://www2.basf.us//PLASTICSWEB/displayanyfile?id=0901a5e18000488e

h

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    In 1988 I bought a G17. Had no idea how long this gun would last. 25 years and 40k rounds later, this gun still functions and feels like a new pistol. Probably why I have puchased more Glocks.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Unless there's a defect in the polymer, or it's a poor design it really should last a long time. The stress parts of the frames on every polymer gun I've handled are metal [i.e. the actual slide rails etc].

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    The "plastic" guns will last as long as their counterparts. The question is, how many people do you know that can afford to shoot a firearm enough to wear it out?

IMO, nothing lasts if it isn't properly maintained and; all machines can/will eventually fail.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The polymer will harden with age. It will get brittle, making cracks more likely. As spoken above, it is highly likely that the structural integrity will be sufficient for your lifetime. Just like a metal frame firearm, spring life is likely to become an issue, as we have springs decay even in normal service life. Of course any metal parts need to be protected against rust and corrosion.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The Greenies (environmental movement) constantly tells us that plastic lasts forever—part of that "save the planet" stuff. Should be awhile before that plastic gun deteriorates—unless you bought a Glock cause those things always blow up in your hand after a couple hundred rounds.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Any one particular gun might last forever, another might fail much earlier.

There can at times be some variation in mold quality from piece to piece that will affect how long each gun can go before fatigue sets in. Minute variations in wall thickness in key places might be the difference between lasting 15k rounds and 500k rounds.

On Edit: here's a link to a BASF article on the fatigue performance of PA66 and PA6, which are are the most common resins use for a fiber-reinforced polymers. Most plastic gumns are going to behave somewhat similarly: http://www2.basf.us//PLASTICSWEB/displayanyfile?id=0901a5e18000488e

h
    Thanks for posting this. My dad has been in molded plastics for like 40 years now and he would love to read this.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    The Greenies (environmental movement) constantly tells us that plastic lasts forever—part of that "save the planet" stuff. Should be awhile before that plastic gun deteriorates—unless you bought a Glock cause those things always blow up in your hand after a couple hundred rounds.

Everything is biodegradable! Just give it enough time...

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    :D :yesway:
    Ultraviolet radiation breaks down the plastics as I believe oils and petroleum distillates will too.

With some plastics this is true. With others, not at all.

For example, many engines are now equipped with plastic oil pans. Clearly, oil does NOT break down these kinds of polymers (typically PA66 or PA66/6).

UV sensitivity is a similar story. There are some plastics that can handle most parts of the UV spectrum with little difficulty. UV sensitivity is more of a problem for elastomers and synthetic rubbers, not so much a nylon, PEEK, or most industrial resins.

I've been diving into this more recently at work as I have had to develop several engine parts made from plastic where previously an aluminum casting was used. (various parts of the lubrication and cooling systems of an engine).

The plastic I'm using for a current project has a strength/weight ratio about 30% better than the aluminum that it was replacing.

h

Top Bottom