• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jhaynes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I always said I would never buy "plastic" gun because they would fall apart. Well, now I own 3 glocks. Glocks have been around for 31 years now and I have never heard of one deteriorating. Also, I am in the auto repair industry and often see the polymer stuff outlast the steel stuff. Having said that, No I'm not giving up my 1911.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I was never a fan of poly guns based on my experience with the plastics used in the automotive industry. I've seen enough BMW radiators break due to plastic fatigue to make me wary of anything plastic. But, I've since come to think differently and now own Glocks. I still don't think a Glock will outlast a stainless 1911 but the life spans will be in generations, and the Glock will not degrade in my lifetime. If a Glock were subject to the environment of an engine with hot coolant flowing through it every day, I might see it fail in my lifetime, but they live a rather comfortable life in a holster instead. I do think my Glocks will outlast my aluminum framed 1911 though.

I have my 1911s to pass down to my heirs someday. I have my Glocks to carry today. I imagine some day, my great grandkids will take my 1911s out occasionally for a range day but they will probably be carrying some sort of plastic pulse gun. There's a good chance that future blaster will have a Glock logo on it.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I worked in the plastics industry a few years back and the biggest problem that the chemists had recently overcome was ultraviolet exposure. This was about 6-7 years ago. Would be interested to see what would happen to an older polymer frame that was left out in the sun for an extended period of time.
    On another note, recently there was a water tower installed near me that is entirely made from polymer.

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    From a lifetime of repairing all types of machinery I can tell you this.

All machines require maintainence, the more you use them the more they require.

All machines wear out, meaning at some time the machine will cost more to repair than to replace it.

Top Bottom