How long should you have to stay in prison for killing someone ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    i do. I think they are bull ****. Early release is bs.
    if you kill someone unjustly it should be death.
    We have punks shooting people that get out early then they kill cops or innocent civilians. The cops are bad enough, no excuse but they know they are targets and volunteer. But to see civilians be gunned down by someone early released or released by mistake is even worse because the system that we put in place to protect us all has failed. Civilians don't put on a uniform and head into danger daily.
    we keep putting the same politician judges and the politicians that appoint the others into office. Prosecutors too who plea bargain just to get that closed case in their folder or the "W" for their legacy.
    I hope this country gets a big overhaul with the next administration federally. But sadly that will do nothing for Indy because people elect the same poop every cycle.
    :rockwoot:Crap, this too!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I might as well be CNN/Fox/CBS/Brietbart...I'm so conflictingly biased to both sides of this one, I should make up a new story?
    It's like child molesters or violent sex offenders. I think it should be a death sentence. If we agree to lock someone up the rest of their life or multiple lives (that one is always funny), then it should be their duty to put them to death and save tax dollars!
    but I also believe that once someone has served all (ALL) of their sentence then they should be entitled to full restoration of citizenship and viewed as rehabilitated. If they aren't and need monitored or Parol then they shouldn't be free among normal people! How ****ing hard is this to get!
    our justice system and some of those that run it are seriously ****ed up!! And some are criminal and some are greedy. And some are good people who work in the jungle wearing the white hat every day and try their best but they are slowly getting eaten by the lions that pick them off from the back of the heard. We need to fix this

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Trigger - In large part I tend to agree with what you said above. However, where I disagree is in the monitoring/parole issue. Personally I think all people released from prison should be monitored for some time period. They have to be able to account for where they have been the last however many years when applying for a job. What was the old saying about idle hands? Convicted felons struggle to find work, which sometimes leads to going back into the system. Also, we need to realize to many people they have grown up in a lifestyle that has accepted certain crimes/doing time as a normal part of life. By watching family and friends doing the same stuff their whole lives. I beleive this has contributed to so many having such a lack of respect for others and why they don't seem to have the same value on life as we have.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    How long should a murderer stay in prison? Only as long as their victim is still dead.

Now whether you believe this case is murder or not is another story.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Trigger - In large part I tend to agree with what you said above. However, where I disagree is in the monitoring/parole issue. Personally I think all people released from prison should be monitored for some time period. They have to be able to account for where they have been the last however many years when applying for a job. What was the old saying about idle hands? Convicted felons struggle to find work, which sometimes leads to going back into the system. Also, we need to realize to many people they have grown up in a lifestyle that has accepted certain crimes/doing time as a normal part of life. By watching family and friends doing the same stuff their whole lives. I beleive this has contributed to so many having such a lack of respect for others and why they don't seem to have the same value on life as we have.

:yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's like child molesters or violent sex offenders. I think it should be a death sentence. If we agree to lock someone up the rest of their life or multiple lives (that one is always funny), then it should be their duty to put them to death and save tax dollars!
    but I also believe that once someone has served all (ALL) of their sentence then they should be entitled to full restoration of citizenship and viewed as rehabilitated. If they aren't and need monitored or Parol then they shouldn't be free among normal people! How ****ing hard is this to get!
    our justice system and some of those that run it are seriously ****ed up!! And some are criminal and some are greedy. And some are good people who work in the jungle wearing the white hat every day and try their best but they are slowly getting eaten by the lions that pick them off from the back of the heard. We need to fix this

Yes.
    Thing is there is no real rehab in prison. It is a concentrated pool of bad guys.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The old excuse about being a product of their environment is often an over used excuse. But I also tend to think there's some truth in that statement. A wise friend taught me that in any network or group of family and friends if you aren't the one doing the influencing then you are being influenced. Take myself as an example I grew yp with mom & dad both in the home and a very strong supportive hard working family. I grew up doing the same things my family shared with me. Hunting, fishing, racing, trap & traget shooting, etc etc and now at 38yo that's part of who I am and those are many of the same things I share with my kids. Now my wife grew up under profoundly different circumstances that to this day makes me question what some in her family are thinking. Again in large part it goes back to how we were influenced and what we were taught and what we now as adults accept as normal

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The justice system sometimes produces really strange results. I can't find it, but there was an article in the Star the other day about how the IPS counselor that had sex with 2 students was given home detention and wasn't required to register as a sex offender, but the basketball coach at Park Tudor got 14 years in prison for sexting. The article gave the details about how the quirks of the law produce odd results like that, but it happens. The only thing you can really deduce from comparing individual cases is that the system as a whole isn't perfect, but no one should be too surprised by that.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    The justice system sometimes produces really strange results. I can't find it, but there was an article in the Star the other day about how the IPS counselor that had sex with 2 students was given home detention and wasn't required to register as a sex offender, but the basketball coach at Park Tudor got 14 years in prison for sexting. The article gave the details about how the quirks of the law produce odd results like that, but it happens. The only thing you can really deduce from comparing individual cases is that the system as a whole isn't perfect, but no one should be too surprised by that.
    A good lawyer don't come cheap.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yes.
    Thing is there is no real rehab in prison. It is a concentrated pool of bad guys.
    i don't believe in rehab for prisoners. I think prison should be about making big rocks into small rocks. Not club fed. Not tv or movie night. They are the ultimate **** ups in our society and they are there to pay for actions.period.

we let them out now after they serve a sentence and then we tell them, you can't go get a normal job. You need to check in daily. You can't be a real person again but you Can have a taste of it and see everyone else doing normal stuff.
    come on. That's like a 90% guarantee that dude is gonna reoffend.

The relaity is, jail and law enforcement and court enforcement has become a MONEY MAKER! If they truly rehabilitate people and crime is truly reduced then profit margins go down! And powerful people don't want that

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    i don't believe in rehab for prisoners. I think prison should be about making big rocks into small rocks. Not club fed. Not tv or movie night. They are the ultimate **** ups in our society and they are there to pay for actions.period.

we let them out now after they serve a sentence and then we tell them, you can't go get a normal job. You need to check in daily. You can't be a real person again but you Can have a taste of it and see everyone else doing normal stuff.

The relaity is, jail and law enforcement and court enforcement has become a MONEY MAKER! If they truly rehabilitate people and crime is truly reduced then profit margins go down! And powerful people don't want that

Regardless of what offense someone is serving time for they are still spending 24/7 learning how to be better educated criminals. I would agree that they systrm and some of it's programs have gotten too comfortable. But having worked as a court deputy in the past believe me when I tell you those tv's and commisary actually can help curb trouble inside. When people have nothing to lose they become very unstable which leads to a number of bad issues. It only take one inmate in a cell or pod to stir up the rest and before long it becomes very volitile

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Lol at LE being a "money maker." Money is in private prisons, not state prisons or local jails. If LE was really a money maker IMPD would have a fleet that din't have 17-year old cars still being driven daily. And if you think courts make money, go sit in on a hearing sometime and see how many defendants actually have to pay fines or court costs.

Top Bottom