How many deer would you need to harvest a year to feed a family?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    About 20 years ago I counted the leagal deer you could take. We had more open bonus numbers then. It was 13 if you hit luck of the draw in the 2 state drawings. More if you have crop depridation tags, (# determined by area game biologists).

The largest deer in Indiana are along the Ohio river (check state records) in more ag areas they avg. ~ 150 lbs. live weight. 60% cut out. That’s the weight of meat, bone in.

After hunting for a couple years you and one other person can Easley process a deer in a daylight hours of one winter day. Cut up and wrapped. Excluding grinding burger and sausage. If you can some of it add another day. This is with 3 knives and 1 hand saw.

If you eat venison at my house I’ll bet you a cup of coffee you can’t tell the difference between my venison from one of my beeves unless your experienced at eating each.

This is a learned skill set. Not to be expected from a novice, but it is an easily learned skill with an experienced teacher.

If you live an agrarian life style, 4 people can make do with 2 venison per yr. 3 is better. This is in addition to upland game and self caught fish, (not sport fishing). My 2 cents.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    My wife and I go through three of four deer per year on average. That feeds the two of us and a lot of meals for kids, grandkids, and friends. It also includes jerky for gifts and chili for pitch ins.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    About 20 years ago I counted the leagal deer you could take. We had more open bonus numbers then. It was 13 if you hit luck of the draw in the 2 state drawings. More if you have crop depridation tags, (# determined by area game biologists).

The largest deer in Indiana are along the Ohio river (check state records) in more ag areas they avg. ~ 150 lbs. live weight. 60% cut out. That’s the weight of meat, bone in.

After hunting for a couple years you and one other person can Easley process a deer in a daylight hours of one winter day. Cut up and wrapped. Excluding grinding burger and sausage. If you can some of it add another day. This is with 3 knives and 1 hand saw.

If you eat venison at my house I’ll bet you a cup of coffee you can’t tell the difference between my venison from one of my beeves unless your experienced at eating each.

This is a learned skill set. Not to be expected from a novice, but it is an easily learned skill with an experienced teacher.

If you live an agrarian life style, 4 people can make do with 2 venison per yr. 3 is better. This is in addition to upland game and self caught fish, (not sport fishing). My 2 cents.
    I'm not eating your beeve.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When you get to the SHTF scenario you want to be careful about hunting. Before you get to that point, figure your expenses involved in hunting as opposed to other pursuits. I live in the outland, and hunting is not a primary part of my plan unless the animals are literally in my yard, which they often are.

Processing is important, clean is number one if you want meat to taste OK and last. You can get a fair amount out of a deer if you are willing to invest the time. I don't when I hunt, but I know folks who literally keep everything but the grunt.

Salting meat was done for years on sailing ships, you just need to soak it in fresh water before cooking. Salt meat, peas and ship's biscuit kept the royal navy going for centuries. Grog helped you forget the taste. ;)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...it's what I do with this deadass animal after I do. I'd have to hang and clean it in the field and take it straight to a processor, because I don't have chest freezers and meat processing tools or everything freezer packaging for a whole animal right

Correct.

Forgetting that hunting isn't nearly as simple just dropping a deer that you have randomly seen when doing other stuff in the woods, there are many critically important things to be learned only by doing.

What if you didn't take into consideration where your deer might run, even after a good vitals hit? Vitals hit deer often run for many yards, sometimes hundreds, into the worst areas for dragging out, sometimes not to be found at all in time to recover meat.

The point is that there is often a LOT more than "we'll just do this or that" because we've read it's possible. "Others have done this, so we will just do it too." :n00b: Nearly everything involved in a successful venison harvest can and will go sketchy, as you are learning as you go the first few times.

One really simple thing that often takes years to learn is that taking deer to be processed is a mixed bag. Putting the meat handing in other's hands is a risk. Even assuming that you have handled your meat perfectly, from on the hoof to 40 degrees, letting that harvest go out of your control can be a problem.

Even a solid dependable deer processor can have issues. From mixing meat, to staffing, to handling, to being overrun with work all at once, etc.

There is a big differerence between those who put venison in the freezer and those who depend on that meat to be the groceries that feed the family.

A lot of family members and even the hunters themselves dread having to eat "that freezer full of gamey venison."

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Those logistics are what stop me from deer hunting right now. It's not putting a shot on a deer, it's what I do with this deadass animal after I do. I'd have to hang and clean it in the field and take it straight to a processor, because I don't have chest freezers and meat processing tools or everything freezer packaging for a whole animal right now.

Logistics matter when you get into game animals too big to be stuffed in a backpack.
    You can break a deer down and bring home just the meat or even quarters, but it is a lot of work especially out in the weather. Having someplace out of the weather is nice, but not necessary. The biggest thing is to get it gutted as quick as possible, you do not have to hang it.

Reactions: Mij

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Well since we are talking survival let’s not forget the “gut pile” everyone throws out is actually the most nutrient packed portion of the whole carcass.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    You can break a deer down and bring home just the meat or even quarters, but it is a lot of work especially out in the weather. Having someplace out of the weather is nice, but not necessary. The biggest thing is to get it gutted as quick as possible, you do not have to hang it.
    That's true. If I wanted it bad enough I suppose I could gut it, drag it back to the car, quarter it, wash it out with a couple gallon jugs of water, then wrap it in trash bags and chuck it in the hatchback for the drive home.

Apartment neighbors: "Whatcha got there?"

Me covered in blood with a flintlock rifle and trash bags: "A smoothie."

Top Bottom