How many times would this guy have been shot here in Indy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Legally, he doesn't have to pose a threat to YOU. It is legal to use deadly force to prevent someone from using deadly force against another (illegally) if I'm not mistaken.

Legality has nothing to do with whether its right or not.

Would anyone here change their answer if the person was being stabbed with a large knife rather than being strangled by a cord? Serious question.

Would I shoot him if he was "being stabbed" yes.. about to be stabbed, probably.

dfranks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    I agree, very dangerous game to play. I hope the guy taking the picture got his 'good side' , jk

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Would anyone here change their answer if the person was being stabbed with a large knife rather than being strangled by a cord? Serious question.

Someone being stabbed is a game changer. An artery getting severed is more of a certain death type of situation for the victim than choking is. There's less time to consider the proper course of action. At this point, any action is better than none at all.

Gut instincts would be pulling out the gun, ordering the BG to stop and to put the knife down or being forced to shoot him if he tries to plunge the knife in the victim again.

It would be a play stupid games kind of moment for the BG.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Devil's advocate here, for those who would pull a gun and/or shoot...

What if the guy being strangled had attacked the strangler, and the tables got turned on him? (i.e., the victim became the aggressor.) Not to justify what the original victim was doing to the original attacker in this scenario, but what if the person you shot was originally the victim?

Unless you know the details (or the victim is a loved one or friend), it's probably not wise to shoot. Call 911, be a good witness, and be ready if he comes after you.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What if the guy being strangled had attacked the strangler, and the tables got turned on him? (i.e., the victim became the aggressor.) Not to justify what the original victim was doing to the original attacker in this scenario, but what if the person you shot was originally the victim?

And there's the rub. :yesway:

I realize the "what if" game could go on forever, but this is something that must at least be considered when folks start talking about how they would react in a situation where they don't have all the information.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Devil's advocate here, for those who would pull a gun and/or shoot...

Unless you know the details (or the victim is a loved one or friend), it's probably not wise to shoot. Call 911, be a good witness, and be ready if he comes after you.

How many self-defense strangulations, with a cord/garrote, have you ever heard of, over the course of your entire life?

I've not heard of any. People don't use garottes in self-defense. They use them in murders.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How many self-defense strangulations, with a cord/garotte, have you ever heard of, over the course of your entire life?

I've not heard of any. People don't use garottes in self-defense. They use them in murders.

Counting both domestic and foreign? Let's see...uhh...none. Ever.

The only cord strangling I've personally ran across have all been self inflicted, either suicides or auto-erotic asphyxiation gone wrong.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    read the whole thread... This point already got brought up, and debunked.

Just because hes using it, doesnt mean its his.

If someone tried to choke me out with a wire, and I got the upperhand, and the wire. You bet your sweet ass, ima return the favor. Not to kill, but to give a good nights sleep.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    How many self-defense strangulations, with a cord/garotte, have you ever heard of, over the course of your entire life?

Please try re-reading the scenario I posed.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I've never in my life heard of a self-defense strangling. I would have shot him in the head.

I hope you have the best lawyer in the world if you'd do what you said. And honestly, you're not competent enough to carry a firearm considering that's what you would have done first.

The guy that got choked up could have been the assailant but failed and ended but beingon the other end. Like I said, if you don't know how it escalated, don't intervene but be a witness or at least have it stop but not get involve.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Again, I will say this. In situations like that, you can not physically assault any person IF you weren't there from the START on the incident or have NO idea HOW it escalated. You could be charge of battery to the person that you assaulted.

The BEST approach to this situation is to try to call 911 FIRST, break up the incident without getting physical and be a WITNESS.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Please try re-reading the scenario I posed.

I don't need to. There's no way someone on someone else's back, garotting him, is defending himself. Even if it started out that way, once he's got the garrote around the other guy's neck he's no longer defending himself - he's crossed the line over to "I'm gonna murder this guy."

I hope you have the best lawyer in the world if you'd do what you said. And honestly, you're not competent enough to carry a firearm considering that's what you would have done first.

The guy that got choked up could have been the assailant but failed and ended but beingon the other end. Like I said, if you don't know how it escalated, don't intervene but be a witness or at least have it stop but not get involve.

Again, I will say this. In situations like that, you can not physically assault any person IF you weren't there from the START on the incident or have NO idea HOW it escalated. You could be charge of battery to the person that you assaulted.

The BEST approach to this situation is to try to call 911 FIRST, break up the incident without getting physical and be a WITNESS.

:rolleyes:

If I walk up on somebody garroting somebody else, I'm shooting him. There's no way in the world any of you are going to convince me that someone is garroting someone else in self defense. Period. And I highly doubt I'll be charged with ANYTHING for shooting someone who made a point of making me think he was murdering a third person with a garrote. And keep in mind, that was the whole point of the video - to make people think the guy was murdering somebody in order to see how they'd react. Well, that's how I'd react to a murder happening right in front of me.

And you'd just stand there and watch? You'd not physically interfere? You remind me of all those people in the video who did nothing.

Good for you.

Last edited:

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I don't need to. There's no way someone on someone else's back, garotting him, is defending himself. Even if it started out that way, once he's got the garrote around the other guy's neck he's no longer defending himself - he's crossed the line over to "I'm gonna murder this guy."

:rolleyes:
    Good for you.

This makes no sense. So your saying if you disarm your attacker and turn around and use his own weapon on him your crossing the line? But yet you think you being an innocent bystander has the right to shoot the guy in the head?

Top Bottom