• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    I know a couple of competition bench rest shooters that won't clean the barrel of their rifle more than 3 times a year.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    For me... Clean=peace of mind

... And for as much as I spend on firearms and ammo, why wouldn't I protect my investments?

I don't view guns as an investments, nor particularly expensive. Nor is normal dirt from operation particularly damaging to modern guns. If it's a wear item, it gets replaced. Yeah, gunk can build up and hamper the gun's operation but it takes a whole lot more than that last box of 50 you shot. If you shoot guns like they are intended then the cost of the gun is a tiny fraction of the cost of ownership, and they aren't so fragile as to REQUIRE cleaning every few rounds.

The only times I've had guns start to malfunction due to lack of cleaning were .22lr target guns that had tens of thousands of rounds through them with nothing more than an occasional hosing down with clp. A half hour thorough cleaning and replacement of springs that should have been replaced at 5000 rounds and they were running reliably again. Oh, I HAVE had the occasional gun that wouldn't run properly unless it was squeaky clean, but I consider that poor gun design, and I don't own them any more.

5000 rounds through a gun that was cleaned after every box of 50 will show the same amount of wear as one that had 5000 rounds but was only cleaned every 500 rounds.

You want to clean them more to make you happy more power to you.

Last edited:

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    Clean after every shooting. Better safe than sorry. I do not use much more than CPL unless it is really dirty I will use Brake Cleaner as a worst case scenario.

My CC weapon I clean bi-weekly. Just to get lent out and a quick lube job.

Top Bottom