• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    Is over cleaning causing more wear to the gun than needed? Constant polishing and wiping will cause wear over time.

I clean mine when I can noticably see dirt and or grim in the barrel or action. If they are clean and sit in the safe there is no need to clean them and cause wear and possible damage from mishandling if they are well oiled and whiped down when put away.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I too used to be OCD about it, but I do believe that taking them down and cleaning them all the time does cause unnecessary wear on them. Now I clean them after 3 or 4 range trips, I found that they really aren't that much dirtier than when cleaned after every range trip. I used to enjoy it, now it is just a PITA. But for all you guys/gals that clean your guns on regular basis I never seem to buy your used guns, almost every time I go to buy a used gun, I open the action to look down the barrel and get the "it's a little dirty", and they are usually more than a little dirty. It's like they go out and shoot the **** out of them, and decide to sell it. When I sell a gun, you can bet it is clean and properly lubricated, I just wish I would get that in return.

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    I got a buddy that cleans his precision rifle about every 300 rounds or so (unless he sees pressure signs earlier). After a rifle is broke in, cleaning them too often isn't necessarily good on them (bolt rifle). Obviously this is different for a gasser in the sandbox. Another good friend has never, I mean never, cleaned his Glock 17 and it probably has 4000-5000 rounds thru it. It is disgusting.

I take a more middle of the road approach. Precision rifles get cleaned about every 200 rounds, ARs are at least looked over and cleaned about the same (using grease on all semi autos will help) and handguns--whenever I get around to it. I have never had problems.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    For my carry guns, my simply gorgeous model 19 revolver and my AR...every time they are shot. For the rest of guns, about every 500 rounds. I have a couple of guns I have not fired in a year or more - they were cleaned the last time they were fired and have not been cleaned since. I have functioned tested each of them a few times in the interim, but nothing more than that.

As for brass (or copper) brushes, your friend's advice makes little, if any sense. Brass and copper are much softer than steel and absent running them through fast enough to give off truly epic amounts of heat or with the barrel full of grit or sand, I cannot see any issue.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I clean them after every range trip. Maybe not an extensive detail strip, but at least a quick clean. As far as my EDC, pretty much the same, clean after every range trip or if for some very strange reason I don't shoot my EDC for a few months I would give it a quick cleaning.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I clean my carry guns any time its dirty or dusty. pocket carry pieces tend to pick up lots of pocket lint, and IWB carry causes rust to start when its warm out. Other than carry guns, I clean them after shooting, and when I get bored, it gives me something to pass the time on a rainy day.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Wait, we have to clean guns now? When did this start? Why didn't anyone tell me? :scratch:
    You're lucky you didn't get the memo. I've been cleaning the guns after every range trip for so long, that I feel guilty if I let it go till the next day.
    Why did they ever send that memo, anyway, dangit!? :):

Boiler1529

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I too clean after every time they are used. I'll have to do a search on cleaners and oils as I'm using a starter package deal and it sounds like some are better than others.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I clean mine after every time i go shooting, which is at LEAST every two weeks, but more commonly each week. I usually put between 100-200 rounds through it each time.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I clean mine after every range trip. My EDC and HD handguns cleaned more often. Just because they collect lent and such. The only guns I do not clean regularly are .22's.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I clean my EDC every time it's shot and every few weeks between shooting sessions to make sure I get out any lint buildup and to rotate my chamber round. This may seem overkill to some but it gives me peace of mind..

Top Bottom