• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • underwm4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    I clean mine after each range trip. I got in this habit after my time in the army and cleaning my weapon systems everyday after each mission.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Guns are dangerous, especially during cleaning season! I clean mine in the dishwasher, YEP :D

It occurs to me that if you reload you could put some gun bore cleaner in the final round instead of powder and then all you'd have to do is oil it. Saves on the electricity for the dishwasher and you don't have to worry about those annoying rinse spots!:D

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    It occurs to me that if you reload you could put some gun bore cleaner in the final round instead of powder and then all you'd have to do is oil it. Saves on the electricity for the dishwasher and you don't have to worry about those annoying rinse spots!:D

WHO ARE YOU AND WHY ARE YOU WATCHING ME?!

On a more serious note... My cleaning habits occur after shooting, the depth of which depend on the gun and the type of ammo. Revolver and rifles shooing cast lead get a patch or tow followed by oil. Semi autos and and rifles shooting jacketed get the full strip and clean.

The EDC gets cleaned monthly whether shot or not.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I clean the EDC after every range trip and every month, regardless. I clean the "important" ones every month, and the rest on a rotating 6 month schedule.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If using corrosive ammunition - after every shooting.

If using modern ammunition - enough to keep them 1) accurate, 2) reliable, and 3) corrosion free.

This will vary based on the gun, usage, and circumstances.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My EDC is a stainless steel revolver, I clean it after I shoot it, but other than that? A simple wipe down about every three months. I used to not do that but sweat will get under the grips and stainless will rust, so I have taken to removing the grips about every three months and I give the weapon a good wipe down. Especially under the grips.

So how many of you have bought a nearly mint Stainless Steel revolver and taken of the grips to find pitting??? I bet quite a few. The shop got some of the S&W model 65's that were police trade ins from SOG and all of them had pitting underneath the grips from sweat. Especially important if you carry IWB IMHO.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I clean mine after every time I shoot, I know of a glock 9mm compact that was never ever cleaned for thousands of rounds (this guy maintains guns for the army) and the only issue I noticed was that there was a metal sliding on metal sound when you pulled the slide back and forth, I put a few mags through it no issues at all. I'm not a fan of having dirty guns though.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I clean mine after every range trip. I have found that my 1911s "Need" it more than my M&Ps. At a training class last year I ran my M&P 9mm for two days and over 1500 rounds, no cleaning. ZERO failures. I used that session as my own test and it passed with flying colors.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    How often to clean a gun is like asking what to look for in a wife. It's a personal preference. Some argue that most wear is caused by cleaning and others argue that a dirty gun is the worse than a sharp stick in the eye. Pat Rodgers shows an AR that has not been cleaned in something like 40,000 rounds in his videos. I've always enjoyed cleaning my guns after a range trip, but have to admit that the 1911 on my hip right now has not been cleaned since the last range trip about a month ago. The conundrum with gun cleaning is that you disassemble the gun for cleaning and then put it back into service without a function check. In a perfect world, we would fire a round or two after reassembly to verify proper function, but that does not happen too often for most of us.

For me, I do what makes me comfortable and have been relaxing on the need to clean nature.

cranduit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Usually right after firing it, but my CCW once every month or so. Safe sitters get recoated every 6 months to a year if I haven't taken them out to play as lube does dry up.

Never bothered me to clean, I just pull the coffee table up and watch whatever happens to be on the dvr. I like summer cause it's usually F1 or motorcycle racing.

rustygunner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Columbus
    I clean my EDC after every trip to the range, or Monthly if it hasn't been fired for a month (rare). I detail strip it at least quarterly to get the lint and crud out.

No, I don't need to clean after every range trip, but I can't help myself.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    Every time I shoot them. Or whenever I want to burn some time and have a nice relaxing afternoon.

Except my wasr. When I clean my other guns I pour dirt in that.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I find that guys that shoot 100-1000k rounds a year, clean after every range trip. If you shoot 3-4 times a month, you probably won't.

My pistols get cleaned every 1k or so, with a 1 min lubing every 250 rounds or so. (prob 12+k rounds/year)
    Carbines get wiped down every 500rds, and relubed each session. (prob 6k rounds/year)

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    When I was in the Marine Corps, we cleaned our weapons immediately after firing them, and once a month if they were fired or not. I have continued with that regimen ever since.

:yesway: I got in this habit many, many years ago, but as life goes on, and it gets busier................now I make sure the gun(s) are placed so I know they need to be cleaned soon. They get fully back in the rack until they are spotless.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Heres my thing, if it has not already been said, we know our guns work 'clean' but how does it work if I don't have the time to clean it(too busy using it). Can I still trust my life to it going BANG when needed? I test the waters, and I clean my weapons as needed!

Top Bottom