How to delete hard drive and dispose of a lap top?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    There are a few ways to get your old photos off the HD if you're inclined... As a guy who has precious few printed photos, I suggest that you make the attempt to transfer them to another device.

You've even been offered a little bit of help doing it.

You could even attempt temporarily mounting the old HD as a "slave" on your current computer and transferring them that way...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Reformat it.

It's a very simple matter to recover data from a drive that's been deleted, reformatted, re-partitioned, etc. I've demo'ed that for people before. Easy peasy. So, definitely don't do that.

I'd download a copy of DBAN [1], boot from something other than the hard drive, and wipe from there. Since the OP mentioned that the CD-ROM isn't functional and it won't boot form a thumb drive, he might be dead in the water. OP, can you boot from an external, USB hard drive (if you have one)?

If you can't boot from an alternate device, then physical destruction may be the way to go (although it's a bit more of a pain in the neck).

[1] - https://dban.org/

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks guys. My wife is going to see if we have print outs of the pictures first. It takes forever to even boot up the computer. And the pictures are stored on a program called Kodak Easy Share. I haven't even been able to find the pictures outside of the program.

Just want to see if it will even be worth the trouble of saving the pictures first.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks guys. My wife is going to see if we have print outs of the pictures first. It takes forever to even boot up the computer. And the pictures are stored on a program called Kodak Easy Share. I haven't even been able to find the pictures outside of the program.

Just want to see if it will even be worth the trouble of saving the pictures first.

Having lost the 1st 29 years of my life in pictures (Divorce) I am one to say get them if you can.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have a huge stack of hard driver platters and a row of hard drive magnets. The magnets are super useful, the disks are good only if you want to make a plate armor tunic or have a nerdie Xmas tree. The rest of the metal goes to recycling.

Theoretically, someone might be able to recover Commander Keen from that stack of platters...

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    If you want to be sure...

[video=youtube;LAPo1dgrHms]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAPo1dgrHms[/video]

MikeBrennan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Indiana
    I have an old Dell laptop. It has Windows XP, and I think I bought it 2005? Not sure, but it doesn't have wifi capability.
    I am wanting to get rid of it, but don't know how. I would also like to wipe out the hard drive.

I do have pictures on it, but Internet Explorer is so out dated and slow on this computer, I'm unable to do anything to upload the pictures. And the CD burner is fried, plus it won't use a thumb drive.
    So, I'm not going to bother and try to keep the pictures. I may have print outs somewhere though.

So how do I wipe out the hard drive? And how do I dispose of the lap top?

Diesel fuel and a torch.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Now that I think about it, take a hammer to it. The platters on some laptop drives are made out of some tempered material. One hit with a hammer and the platters shatter and when you shake it it sounds like it is full of sand.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Just factory reset the computer. That will erase everything on the computer, and restore it back to factory default. As for disposing of said laptop, maybe give it to goodwill? I also know there are places that recycle old electronics, and they may pay you to have it shipped to them. Those would be the two routes I would take.

For good measure, here's a directional. Restore Dell Laptop to Factory Settings

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    a) There is software that will open/convert your easy share files. I did it a few years back, and think maybe it was picasa?
    b) Dismantle the hardrive if you are selling it... there are some cool magnets to be found inside.
    3) I just like putting 3 instead of C

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just factory reset the computer. That will erase everything on the computer, and restore it back to factory default. As for disposing of said laptop, maybe give it to goodwill? I also know there are places that recycle old electronics, and they may pay you to have it shipped to them. Those would be the two routes I would take.

For good measure, here's a directional. Restore Dell Laptop to Factory Settings

do not do this. This will not guarantee your files are gone beyond recovery. It might be ok if you are giving it to a close family member but not to give it away.

Top Bottom