• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Every now and then I go through GunBroker to see what is out there, mostly looking for parts and such as I have more projects that the law allows. Just happened to be searching the Winchester section, actually looking at Model 12 parts, and came across a Model 24 that the time was running out on and it looked like it had been dragged across concrete. I don't think any of the original blue is left on it, which is a feat in it's own.

There seems to be people out there who neglect their firearms and then think it would be a good idea to use "rust remover" on them, it could only help, right? I have had sympathy buys of these poor firearms in the past and some of them have turned out real nice. The secret is to find the neglected ones and not the abused ones which is harder to do online rather than in person.

To anyone new to the game: bluing is a chemical 'rust' that can and will come off like magic when rust remover is applied. When you find yourself in a position where your firearm looks like a wooly worm ONLY THE FIRST PERSON TO TOUCH THE GUN HAS A CHANCE TO RECOVER IT. This does not mean to scrub on it and see you are over your head and then take it to a gunsmith who can conserve it or to chemically remove the rust and then seek help. Some of the worst scaly rust can be converted back to blue and if there are no pits it can look amazing when done correctly but the secret is you have to be the first one on the scene.

Now, about the title. It isn't the first double barrel I have nor even the first Model 24 Winchester so don't think the MSM has mind controlled me to following Biden's advice. I may be going soft between the ears but not that soft. Like my brother says, "I may have fallen off the turnip truck, but it wasn't last night..."

Top Bottom