• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    :poop: happens in a blink of a eye... I'm living proof of that. I cut a tendon in my shooting hand last year just cutting lub wrap from a bearing at work. I now have a 20% disability in my right thumb, but I can still shoot. :)

Hope you make a full recovery, and if they send you to a hand therapist make sure you do all the exercises that they tell you to do.

Good luck
    Dave.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I hope the goddaughter didn't take anything bad away from it, im sure it freaked her out, she may not want to shoot anymore after that, deff. not a good start for her.... Glad your ok .

Hopefully it won't steer her away from shooting, but teach her, in an unforgettable way, to always be safe and have a healthy respect for firearms. Maybe save her or others from an accident later on down the road...
    OP, hate to hear this, but glad you shared, and glad you're relatively ok!

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm glad your injuries are not more extensive. You could have lost a finger! Let this experience be a reminder that nobody is exempt from stupid mistakes. I wish you well and a fast recovery so that you may get back out on the range and teach your goddaughter how to shoot safely. Thank you for sharing your experience Doug!

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Doug, in retrospect what would you do differently to keep her safe and also cause no injury to yourself?

That is a darn good question. I believe I need more training first and foremost, but equally important was my failure to communicate with her what was going to happen and when to shoot. I think I may have jumped the gun without telling her what I was going to do.

I need to review things in my mind but that is my kneejerk response.

Thanks for asking. I want others to learn from my mistake(s) to avoid making them.

Doug

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Best to you on a quick recovery..

Doug,thanks for sharing with INGO this story on how these things CAN happen.
    All hopes here that you will regain full use of your finger.

Kind of reminds me of my "Accident" that I had around 35 or so years ago--TWO .358" 'Vent' holes in my left inner thigh??

The difference is, with ME, the cause was STUPID+Alcohol combined..

Keep us advised if there is anything we can do to help...Bill.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    That is a darn good question. I believe I need more training first and foremost, but equally important was my failure to communicate with her what was going to happen and when to shoot. I think I may have jumped the gun without telling her what I was going to do.

I need to review things in my mind but that is my kneejerk response.

Thanks for asking. I want others to learn from my mistake(s) to avoid making them.

Doug
    Whenever I take new shooters to the range (whether kids or grownups), I always position myself in a way that I can take control of the firearm without my hand contacting (or even coming near) the muzzle. Do you think since you said you had your hand over the top of the firearm that you were way to far forward on it? Or something else entirely?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    And for all else reading along... I'm really asking to find out what he thinks happened and what could have been done differently to prevent it. I've shot with Doug at Roush, and I know he's a safe shooter. I'm not backing him into a corner, I don't want him to step down as a member, and I don't want him banned. (I hope I covered all the bases there... :): )

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Hey Doug,

I'm glad to hear you're ok. Sometimes these little teachable moments can turn out to be a good thing, I just hope the young one (and mainly the young one's _mom_) are able to keep an open mind about this and not go crazy about future range visits.

I did want to clarify one thing - it sounds like the bullet was already away when the gun came up and got you. Did the bullet actually hit you, or was it powder burns? The powder burns can be way worse than the bullet at point blank, from what I've been given to understand. Either way, it's good to hear you came through OK and were prepared at the scene. I hope the doctors don't soak you too bad!

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Sorry to hear about your war wound. Here's to a speedy recovery, and your Goddaughter not being too freaked out to shoot again

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Only advice is don't wimp out on the P.T. for your finger if required. I broke my finger and have 80% range of motion because I wimped out on P.T. hurt like hell at the time but if I had push I would be 95 - 100.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Whenever I take new shooters to the range (whether kids or grownups), I always position myself in a way that I can take control of the firearm without my hand contacting (or even coming near) the muzzle. Do you think since you said you had your hand over the top of the firearm that you were way to far forward on it? Or something else entirely?

There is likely a height disparity and she either Zebco'd it or John Wayne'd it.

Jetgirl,

I do not think I will ever know exactly how it happened. It was sssooooo fast I am uncertain. The irony is rhat my priority WAS safety for her. I never imagined this could be the result.

Kirk,

Would you be so kind as to clarify your terms please? I am not familiar with those expressions.

Doug

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm very sad to hear of this news Doug. My prayers and best wishes for you and all involved. Sounds like you're in good spirits and in good hands.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Glad you're doing ok. Prayers fo a speedy and full recovery.

So the roumd that hit your bird switch was from a recoil double tap?

Top Bottom