• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    My last year playing in the pit was 1980. I near flipped my 4WD truck in the mud. I had it up on 1 wheel (Right front) for a bit but got it stopped before I ran through the fence. My then Girl friend now spouse was not aware of that side of me.....:):

If I was around, I would have been encouraging you...lol. It's always fun when it's someone else's husband/boyfriend!

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I attended my first and only 500 in 1989 at the age of 14. I had fun and saw my first pair of...... um.... ta tas in between turns 3 and 4. Lady in a tube top turned around and flashed the guys in the bleachers.

Good times.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Rough work...

MTM4OTY2NTE4NDUxOTM4ODA3.jpg

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I think I'm going to follow the tradition me and dad came up with years ago, get up early and go fishing, come home, clean fish and grill them, then watch the race on tv. I don't handle crowds well.

Pretty much my tradition as well (fishing on race day), minus the watching it on TV. I'm not originally from here, and it just doesn't have any appeal for me. I've been to the 500, Brickyard, the Moto, practices, etc each at least once. but typically when I was able get some kind of invite to a suite or some other perk. That is kind of nice, but the actual watching of the race, not so much.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Pretty much my tradition as well (fishing on race day), minus the watching it on TV. I'm not originally from here, and it just doesn't have any appeal for me. I've been to the 500, Brickyard, the Moto, practices, etc each at least once. but typically when I was able get some kind of invite to a suite or some other perk. That is kind of nice, but the actual watching of the race, not so much.
    I've never been there. I actually got a quick tour last Memorial Day. The company I work for hauls all the trash out of there, I got to drive all over that place. I'm not a big race fan, maybe rally or something very technical like that but not ovals.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Watched two guys funnel beers at Carb Day. As we started to head out before the concert, the number of drunk people and the amount of four-letter words just got more and more and more.

I had my fun doing EMS during the concerts in years gone by and knew it was no place for kids to be.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    interesting how as society decays the infield gets normalized. Perhaps liability concerns and lawsuit worry does have some benefit

Or perhaps, since people aren't able to blow off steam, they act stupid all year long... or possibly all the liability concerns have caused the gene pool to become shallow by overprotecting everyone from their own stupidity a bit too much.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    I volunteered one year to help clean up after the race one year and I felt pretty buzzed from all the alcohol bottles I picked up. I and find it pretty ridiculous that people pay good money just to black out after an hour.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I volunteered at a food sales building for a NASCAR race in medschool. It was insanely hot and we were cooking all day. When it was time to leave I wasn't thinking and just filled my large plastic cup from the water bath the drinks were floating in and drank the 30oz or so down quickly. About 45 minutes later I'm in my car stuck in traffic and the gurgling starts. I spent the next two days exploding from below. Ugh.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Both that parade they call "the race" and the partying are mere shadows of their former selves!

Not this one. Besides, the last 4 races have had by far the most lead changes of any 4 Indy 500's, ever. How is that a parade?

A buddy of mine is a cop who worked the track area last night. He said it was as crowded as he's ever seen. Ever. Bobby Unser said this year's race has had more hype than he's ever experienced, as well.

The hundredth running is a big deal, and is as big as it ever was. Maybe not for qualifying day crowd, but Carb day appeared as large as ever, and they haven't cut off infield ticket purchases before, at least in my lifetime.

I can also say that the last 4 or so years, the empty bleachers between the short chutes have become less and less so. Last year was the best in many years for those seats.

I'll let you know how it looks today. Btw, I've not seen scalping prices like this before, either. Not even at the peak of the race's popularity, before the split.

Top Bottom