• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Started priming a bunch of 223 and after the first box of 100 I realized I'd grabbed the wrong primers and had installed cci no.500 pistol primers
    Segregated those and finished priming with the correct primer but I'd rather not de-prime these if I don't have to
    Anyone ever pulled this bone head move? And if so did you load em up and run them? These will be running through my ar15 .....kinda worry about potential slam fire or something .....

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Not sure what the post a couple above is saying, but just for 100% crystal clarity, whatever you do, don't decap them.

Your options are to 1) use them as primer-only noise-makers in their current state, or 2) if you have a bolt gun, load a couple all the way up to shoot and test, provided you're in the middle of the pressure range and aren't close to a min or max load. Change in primer could be dangerous if you're close to the extremes (ie, raises pressure or fails to envelop the charge).

If you see signs of high pressure (primers flowing or backing out), use the rest as New Years' noisemakers. We have all done this, it happens to the best and worst of us.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    If there's any truth to internet lore you should be able to use them.. Were it me I would just load a couple and see what happens. But as always and especially where reloading is concerned YMMV
    Not sure what the post a couple above is saying, but just for 100% crystal clarity, whatever you do, don't decap them.

Your options are to 1) use them as primer-only noise-makers in their current state, or 2) if you have a bolt gun, load a couple all the way up to shoot and test, provided you're in the middle of the pressure range and aren't close to a min or max load. Change in primer could be dangerous if you're close to the extremes (ie, raises pressure or fails to envelop the charge).

If you see signs of high pressure (primers flowing or backing out), use the rest as New Years' noisemakers. We have all done this, it happens to the best and worst of us.
    I've done it before, both ways. And I will add that my father bought two kinds of primers, large and small. I dont recall it ever being a problem with reloaders before the internet.

Engle086

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2021
    Eaton
    Personally, I wouldn't do it unless it was my last resource to defend or put food on the table.

Here are a couple of threads from a different forum. There are more links in them to even more info on the subject.

This one has an email from CCi stating their SPM and SRP are not the same or interchangeable.

IF you do decide to load and shoot. Obviously, start low and watch for pressure signs.

Engle086

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2021
    Eaton
    Because if they're in there tight, they can explode right in the press.

Very unlikely scenario when done properly.
    Nice and slow with proper eye and hearing protection.
    If they were tight enough to cause ignition when depriming, chances are they wouldn't have seated or been crushed when used the first time.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Because if they're in there tight, they can explode right in the press.
    Really, so with that.
    How do you think the commercial de-millers punch out live primers with the Mil crimped primers on a daily basis?
    I have a few bricks of 30 carbine punched primers that I bought from Talon Industries of West Virginia 30 years ago. When I bought them it was about 4 gallons of them in a 5 gallon bucket.
    Jeff Bartlett of GI Brass, acquired a bunch or them awhile back and still has some for sale on his site. Punched 30 Carbine Primers.

Its quite safe to push out seated live primers,

Lake City small rifle primers, removed and recovered from loaded 1972 Lake City .30 Carbine ammo.
    Two (2) types available. Nickel plated (standard small rifle) or brass (small rifle magnum).
    The brass primer is same as used in 5.56mm NATO ammo and is hotter than the nickel primer.
    Nickel primer made by Remington, and used in the .30 Carbine Ball M1 ammunition.
    Perfect for .223 ammo. Can be used to load pistol ammunition, but some pistols may not have a
    firing pin impact hard enough to reliably set them off (these are small RIFLE primers).
    Call for additional info.

Engle086

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2021
    Eaton
    Really, so with that.
    How do you think the commercial de-millers punch out live primers with the Mil crimped primers on a daily basis?
    I have a few bricks of 30 carbine punched primers that I bought from Talon Industries of West Virginia 30 years ago. When I bought them it was about 4 gallons of them in a 5 gallon bucket.
    Jeff Bartlett of GI Brass, acquired a bunch or them awhile back and still has some for sale on his site. Punched 30 Carbine Primers.

Lake City small rifle primers, removed and recovered from loaded 1972 Lake City .30 Carbine ammo.
    Two (2) types available. Nickel plated (standard small rifle) or brass (small rifle magnum).
    The brass primer is same as used in 5.56mm NATO ammo and is hotter than the nickel primer.
    Nickel primer made by Remington, and used in the .30 Carbine Ball M1 ammunition.
    Perfect for .223 ammo. Can be used to load pistol ammunition, but some pistols may not have a
    firing pin impact hard enough to reliably set them off (these are small RIFLE primers).

Interesting. I wonder what they use and how, to remove the crimp? Seems it would have to be removed to get a useable primer?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Really, so with that.

I'm not a commercial de-miller, so I don't know what they use (or how many they set off in the process of obtaining them), but my dies have a hardened, small-diameter pin. I don't want a primer going off in _my_ press, because I don't do it in my garage or business, I do it in my house. Certainly, as in the case of your dad lumping all primers together as "large" or "small," something negative won't happen every time, or even frequently. It is probably what you would call a "corner case." When I reload in my house, where I and my family live, I'm all about eliminating "corner cases." Pushing hardened pins into primers backwards under press force is simply not something I wish to engage in.

It is a free country, and everyone is free to "do you."

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've deprimed a few, slow and easy, shouldn't have any problems.
    I bought a bunch of the 30 carbine primers years ago at knob creek, about 95% work like they should

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I had one go off while decapping once. It really was no big deal. At that point, there is no powder or bullet in the equation. It was just a cap going off. Not even really that loud. :dunno:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm not a commercial de-miller, so I don't know what they use (or how many they set off in the process of obtaining them), but my dies have a hardened, small-diameter pin. I don't want a primer going off in _my_ press, because I don't do it in my garage or business, I do it in my house. Certainly, as in the case of your dad lumping all primers together as "large" or "small," something negative won't happen every time, or even frequently. It is probably what you would call a "corner case." When I reload in my house, where I and my family live, I'm all about eliminating "corner cases." Pushing hardened pins into primers backwards under press force is simply not something I wish to engage in.

It is a free country, and everyone is free to "do you."
    I have been in two de-millers businesses in my life, I also reload in my home or shop. Its quite safe my friend, you do you. But don't say its not safe because its just not true. The dies that all of those machines I've watched run were no different that whats available to us.

Do you feel safe seating primers with a raised anvil that when seating those primers get "armed" when they get seated?

One is much more likely to have a primer explosion when seating a primer than punching out a primer.

Ever reloaded using a Lee Classic Hand Loader? LOL

Top Bottom