• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I agree that it is unlikely, however, I know someone who popped a primer while trying to decap a live one.

The eye and ear pro didn't do a whole lot for his hand.

The trip to the hospital to remove fragments from his hand wasn't life threatening but still kind of a big deal.
    I don't understand what you're describing. These injuries were from a popped primer or a live round detonating? The decapping step is after the bullet is pulled and the powder is dumped out. I have set a primer off while decapping and it was just like a cap from a cap gun going off. Where did the fragments come from?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I don't understand what you're describing. These injuries were from a popped primer or a live round detonating? The decapping step is after the bullet is pulled and the powder is dumped out. I have set a primer off while decapping and it was just like a cap from a cap gun going off. Where did the fragments come from?
    Yeah, unless it was a .50bmg primer I have a hard time believing this on its own. I’ve seen mass detonation of primer tubes during priming, but a single primer just does not contain significant explosive and the decapping process drops the primer through the shellholder, directing energy in that direction.

Given that I am a scientist and like empirical data, many years ago I tried very hard to detonate a primer by depriming and I managed to get one to go off by partially blocking the drop hole. It took several tries and the resulting pop sent no particles anywhere but down and there was no damage to anything.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    A live primer that popped while depriming as was clearly stated. The fragment came from the primer itself. I'm not sure what equipment was being used but I suspect the primer was either mostly or almost fully clear of the pocket before it detonated and his hand was right next to it.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Federal primers and a Dillion auto press. Primer feed tube went flying. Guys cat who slept around the table was not seen for two days
    I forgot until today, here is a picture of the original 450 primer magazine tubes with the brass ends. It's impossible to over tighten them unlike the newer plastic ends.
    20231227_145723.jpg

Top Bottom