• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Well, take it from a life long Texas loving and permanently self implanted/replanted and hopefully honorary Hoosier, there is a lot to love about being forced to carry in the open, but there is even more to love about the possibilities of CC.

This statement concerns me. Where have you been forced to carry in the open? Surely not in Indiana. Perhaps this is another law you'd like to have deciphered.

Last edited:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    As I stated earlier, I have often relied upon friends to help me know the straight scoop. Trying this site was a logical modern step in that same direction.

I can tell you that in the mid 70s, I was a member of a fairly advanced gun club in south Texas. About one fifth of our permanent membership was involved in law enforcement to one degree or another, such as: city police from several surrounding cities, THE elected sheriff of the county along with more than a dozen of his deputies and a few other deputies from surrounding counties. One of the members was a Texas State Police officer.

When I inquired of these educated and well trained men, who I called my friends, I was advised to acquire and maintain a Federal Firearms License "to do all the things I needed to do," including ordering prepared ammunition, firearms of all sorts (less of a concern, since about twenty members held proper FFLs), powder, primers, fresh or reclaimed military brass, etc.
    If this was wrong or outdated information, then I regret sharing it here.
    To me, at the time, I accepted this as good advice and I followed it.

Now, honestly, to accuse someone of NOT being who they say they are is a bit of a stretch in either case and if that was a gauntlet being thrown down, then we will surely talk again.
    I have not misrepresented "who I say I am," dude.

People around these parts are mighty suspicious of those who open a thread with something like I'm an FFL, so I know what I'm talking about along with a demonstration that he does not, to whit, "When I lived in Texas, this was not true. For twenty years I maintained an FFL."

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    People around these parts are mighty suspicious of those who open a thread with something like I'm an FFL, so I know what I'm talking about along with a demonstration that he does not, to whit, "When I lived in Texas, this was not true. For twenty years I maintained an FFL."

Nah, it is quite a bit more simple than all that.
    I was much younger when I held an FFL and I really only used it to keep me and my friends well stocked with legal "things that were somewhat restricted." I never said I was a know it all, as some know it all types have assumed I was trying to be.

The very premise should have clued most of you guys that I was mostly clueless and that I was in dire need of guidance and again, not any supreme knowledge that I was trying to portray, just trying to get a few things straightened out, such as just what was commonly accepted as a way to stay out of trouble and how to actually know the right stuff.

I need the real scoop, here. Maybe, instead of questioning my premise you could offer me something useful?

I knew I was very far out of date in these areas and I was simply asking for guidance from what seemed to be a conglomeration of respectable local residents with way more up to date insight than I had.
    Never claimed to know it all, but it seems as if some have assumed that I was attempting to act like one. Not so!

I humbly ask that I be allowed to continue with no further questions as to my motives, etc. My motive for this thread is simple; I want to be more in the know about what I CAN do and what I can NOT do. (Third time stating this, charmed?)

I do know how most people interpreted our local statutes where I grew up. There was no such thing as a concealed carry permit for an average citizen in Texas in the sixties and seventies, when I was most active in gun trading and such. Carrying an exposed weapon was not well defined either. Most people just kept a rifle and a shotgun in a rack in their pick up trucks and no one asked any questions. If you carried a handgun, it was usually hung on the rack in a holster, until you got back on your own land or a friend's land where you might need it again. Not that complicated.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Well, take it from a life long Texas loving and permanently self implanted/replanted and hopefully honorary Hoosier, there is a lot to love about being forced to carry in the open, but there is even more to love about the possibilities of CC.

I thank all of you guys.

I never expected a response in so short a time.

Forgive me if I spend the next few hours ordering stuff, instead of socializing, but it is great to be here!.

This statement concerns me. Where have you been forced to carry in the open? Surely not in Indiana. Perhaps this is another law you'd like to have deciphered.

I agree. Where in Indiana are you forced to open carry? Unlike Texas, you have the option to either conceal or open carry in Indiana.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Nah, it is quite a bit more simple than all that.
    I was much younger when I held an FFL and I really only used it to keep me and my friends well stocked with legal "things that were somewhat restricted." I never said I was a know it all, as some know it all types have assumed I was trying to be.

The very premise should have clued most of you guys that I was mostly clueless and that I was in dire need of guidance and again, not any supreme knowledge that I was trying to portray, just trying to get a few things straightened out, such as just what was commonly accepted as a way to stay out of trouble and how to actually know the right stuff.

I need the real scoop, here. Maybe, instead of questioning my premise you could offer me something useful?

I knew I was very far out of date in these areas and I was simply asking for guidance from what seemed to be a conglomeration of respectable local residents with way more up to date insight than I had.
    Never claimed to know it all, but it seems as if some have assumed that I was attempting to act like one. Not so!

I humbly ask that I be allowed to continue with no further questions as to my motives, etc. My motive for this thread is simple; I want to be more in the know about what I CAN do and what I can NOT do. (Third time stating this, charmed?)

I do know how most people interpreted our local statutes where I grew up. There was no such thing as a concealed carry permit for an average citizen in Texas in the sixties and seventies, when I was most active in gun trading and such. Carrying an exposed weapon was not well defined either. Most people just kept a rifle and a shotgun in a rack in their pick up trucks and no one asked any questions. If you carried a handgun, it was usually hung on the rack in a holster, until you got back on your own land or a friend's land where you might need it again. Not that complicated.

Here you go:

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/laws/2014/ic/titles/035/

Read chapter 47.

Not that complicated.

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I agree. Where in Indiana are you forced to open carry? Unlike Texas, you have the option to either conceal or open carry in Indiana.

Please, guys, FFS, I was never making that statement in regards to Indiana.

I was kind of making fun of NOT having the option of carrying concealed, while neglecting to make specific carry instructions for everyone's own clarity. (where I grew up) Kind of like leaving it up to the police officer to determine on a case by case basis if some "intent" to break a law was evident. Not very gun friendly in my book, despite the reputation for being gun friendly down there.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Please, guys, FFS, I was never making that statement in regards to Indiana.

I was kind of making fun of NOT having the option of carrying concealed, while neglecting to make specific carry instructions for everyone's own clarity. (where I grew up) Kind of like leaving it up to the police officer to determine on a case by case basis if some "intent" to break a law was evident. Not very gun friendly in my book, despite the reputation for being gun friendly down there.

If you don't have the option to carry concealed in Indiana, then you don't have the option to carry openly, either. FWIW.

A few people believe that Indiana Code distinguishes between open carry and concealed carry and that one is legal (or illegal) while the other one can be licensed, but that's not true.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    BeDome, don't worry about the naysayers. They were abused children. If you are who you say, it'll all work out. If not, see ya in the classifieds.

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    A lot of folks, me included, here buy their ammo online. Unless someone is having a sale, it's hard to beat the online prices.

Thank you. I appreciate your input.

Sorry to say this topic seems to have drifted far from my original plans for just a bit of quick info.

I did use this info to my own benefit.
    I have four bricks of .22LR headed my way from one vendor and a few boxes of primers from another vendor.

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    BeDome, don't worry about the naysayers. They were abused children. If you are who you say, it'll all work out. If not, see ya in the classifieds.

Classifieds?

As if I would ever again sell one of my guns?

psyko

Kidding!

Honestly, the only bad memories I have from parting with some of my gear (usually, I was upgrading, BUT ...) was when I was in a horrid transitional period that did not go as planned and I used some of my treasured investments to trade for rent receipts and car payments. Bad times, those.

Hey, do not worry about me. I have a fairly thick skin.

BeDome

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    If you don't have the option to carry concealed in Indiana, then you don't have the option to carry openly, either. FWIW.

A few people believe that Indiana Code distinguishes between open carry and concealed carry and that one is legal (or illegal) while the other one can be licensed, but that's not true.

:attempts to make the most MANLY sigh possible:

:fails:

I think I am going to like you, once I get past the fact that you seem to post before understanding what you have read.

:):

Clearly, you misunderstood me. I am letting it drop.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    :attempts to make the most MANLY sigh possible:

:fails:

I think I am going to like you, once I get past the fact that you seem to post before understanding what you have read.

:):

Clearly, you misunderstood me. I am letting it drop.

Yup, I sure did.

It was a poor attempt at deciphering your post.

Have a great day!

If anybody has an inkling what he said, throw me a bone, please.

Top Bottom