• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am mostly an 'old gun' person, either way you want to read it. Most of my joy is buying old, unloved guns and putting the breath of life back in them.

But, I came across a new in the box Ruger Mini 30 at the LGS that just said, "Take me home and I will not disappoint you..."

I have read all the reviews for years about how they won't feed metallic casings, frailty and accuracy issues from magazines when they first hit the market to YouTube now. But I thought, what the heck, and traded for it.

It is the stainless with the synthetic stock, scope rings and two 20 round mags. The fit and finish isn't up to my expectations from my old 'Red Label' days, the stock looks 'toy' quality from the visual aspect but it really is quite sturdy and locks up the the receiver REAL snug. In other words it is a gun a blind man would love.

I brought it home with some steel cased Wolf ammo having decided I would force feed it if necessary. To my delight, it ate that ammo like peanuts. To my dismay the trigger was a gritty as a Gulf oyster just after a hurricane. Opening it up the trigger group looked like the sharpest tool used to mill it was a rusty piece of rebar. But on the bright side, I had used my buddy's Leopold bore sight and the very first shot landed right in the bulls eye as did the second, third and fourth. At 100 yards the four shot group could easily be covered with one of those Birchwood Casey Shoot-N-See stickers and 3 of the four were touching.

I let each of the other 3 shooters with me have a chance to pull the trigger with similar results. So I packed it up and brought it in the house for a cleaning and a trigger job. Even the machined edges of the 'mated' surfaces weren't straight or flat. Using a small flat file and then a medium stone I had it to where the take up was predictable and a very distinct break was felt. I retained the factory spring and now this thing is a honey.

I was shooting the 123gr hollow points all day and it did get to where the target patches would no longer have enough surface area to stick in the point of impact. It almost felt like I had a TV crew determining where they landed because they all hit in the same spot, even the ones my 13yo grandson shot hit in the same hole.

Talk about a confidence builder! Everyone wants to use my new yote rifle now.

Now, the MSRP on these guns are plain ridiculous. I would never had paid anything close to MSRP for one, but, if you can find one for a good price and expect to put in a little work (even on a new gun) they can shoot. My findings with the cheapest ammo available is just over 1/2 inch low at 50 yards, spot on at 100 yards but starts to peter out after 200 yards. Don't get me wrong, you can hit at 300 as long as you get the optional mortar sight, but the Kentucky windage is difficult to split second transfer past 200.

The whole rifle is literally as long as my arm so transportation isn't an issue, and the fact there are no aesthetic attributes worth protecting makes me more comfortable dragging it through the woods. It is still early in the dance, but from what I have experienced so far I don't think this gun was lying to me back in the LGS...

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Love my Mini-30 as well. Also Stainless, but with the Laminated Stock. (will post a pic, next time I get it outta the Safe) I'll have to Try the Trigger work suggested. Thanks for Sharing.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I've always admired these rifles because is their similarity to the M1 Rifle and M1 Carbine. But, I always shied away because of all the bad press they get. I'll be anxious to hear your impressions when you are well into the dance!

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've always admired these rifles because is their similarity to the M1 Rifle and M1 Carbine. But, I always shied away because of all the bad press they get. I'll be anxious to hear your impressions when you are well into the dance!

Don't believe it. The newer ones are supposedly more accurate than the older ones, and it sounds like the OP's rifle is proving that out, which is awesome. I have an older Mini-14 ranch rifle from the 80s, and while it's not exceedingly accurate, if you think of it as an alternative to an M1 Carbine rather than a Garand or M14, it's plenty accurate for the job...and more reliable than the carbine. It's light and handy and easy to carry around, and quick to shoulder and fire from a standing position. Off the bench, though, my Garand will eat it's lunch (best I've done is 4" at 100yds with my mini).

They are expensive, and have gotten worse in recent years, but if you can find one at a reasonable price, as a Garand afficionado I think you'd enjoy it. It's not a true Garand action, or even a scaled down M1A...the roots of the design are clearly visible, but it's definitely it's own thing. Ruger took the design and simplified it, as well as scaling it down. It works well, though. I've only ever had one failure with it, and it was because the neck of a reloaded cartridge broke off in the chamber. It shot that one just fine, but the next one wouldn't feed because of the obstruction. I cleared the chamber and it was back up and running.

It's nice that it eats cheap .223 ammo....and speaking as a reloader, it's good that it's cheap because it throws the brass about 50 feet, so you're not gonna find most of it. I was shooting off my buddy's deck one day, and it was putting cases onto the roof of the house.

I paid $500 for mine and feel like it was money well spent. No, it's not an AR-15, and I don't think I'd take it over one on duty or into battle, but as a cool M1-esque rifle in a fun shooting, affordable cartridge, it's a great little gun.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    One rifle that is on my list to have! I haven’t tried to hard to find one but congratulations on the swap and it sounds like you’re happy! Thanks for sharing and a picture or two would be appreciated

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I have a buddy that's a diehard Mini fan, has several from ranch carbines to Mini-30s.
    Exactly the same experience as OP.

He has beat the crap out of his 'Truck Rifle' and it keeps on ticking,
    The 30 does OK (much better than an AK),
    Had some mag feed issues which were solved by finding mags that actually fit the rifle.

Trigger work is pretty well mandatory, but not too difficult or expensive, and the factory trigger has meat on it to work.

I find it 'Clunky' when operating, tolerance fitting could have been better,
    all of his have been functional, reliable, fairly accurate, forgiving in what ammo they consume...

Too many youngsters don't remember when there were 3 distinct camps,
    AR/clones, AK clones & Mini...
    Since the M1 Garand/M14 trained shooters are thinning out due to age (RIP and thanks guys), I don't see a come back anytime soon...

If I hadn't been trained on ARs, I would have gone Mini, was never a fan of AK clones, talk about rattling junkyards...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Being a Marine trained in the 70's the AR platform is quite familiar to me. But I have never hidden the fact that I have never been in love with it. I am also not living out my A-Team lust from my childhood.

The 5.56 always 'underwhelmed' me. Thirty cal has always been my friend. If I was judging from all the info posted out there I would not have made the jump to this weapon. But it's performance (despite it's faults) have left me, overall, quite happy.

I am not abandoning all my other weapons but this one deserves a place on the farm as a 'go to' for most of the needs I have. Mind you I live down south in unglaciated country, if I was further north in the flat land it would not be as suited for the same tasks.

Yotes, whistle pigs and feral animals need to take note, there is a new marshal in town and he can hit what he sees and not just see what he hits...

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Being a Marine trained in the 70's the AR platform is quite familiar to me. But I have never hidden the fact that I have never been in love with it. I am also not living out my A-Team lust from my childhood.

The 5.56 always 'underwhelmed' me. Thirty cal has always been my friend. If I was judging from all the info posted out there I would not have made the jump to this weapon. But it's performance (despite it's faults) have left me, overall, quite happy.

I am not abandoning all my other weapons but this one deserves a place on the farm as a 'go to' for most of the needs I have. Mind you I live down south in unglaciated country, if I was further north in the flat land it would not be as suited for the same tasks.

Yotes, whistle pigs and feral animals need to take note, there is a new marshal in town and he can hit what he sees and not just see what he hits...

I thought my dad & grandpa were the only people to call them 'Whistle Pigs'! :)

When you aren't living out Rambo fantasies,
    You come back around to the correct tool for the job, and there is more than one manufacturer and one type of hammers, saws, etc.

I grew up making extra money trapping, eliminating ground hogs and other pests.
    I started like every other farm kid, with a .22LR.

Ground hogs got smarter, so I needed to reach farther, .22WMR.
    Then .223...

Made it easy when I joined the military since I had an idea of what a .223 could (and couldn't) do.

My early AR from the farm wasn't my favorite by a long shot (bad pun), but I did know how an AR/M16 shot, so I did well in military record fire.

I was introduced to the M14, AR-10, and later the SR-25, and I'm a fan of the SR-25.
    Since 7.62x51 ballistics are forever etched into my mind, the SR-25 is my go to rifle, simply because it shoots well and I'm familiar with it like an appendage.
    (About 14 years with it)

I have nothing against the M14/M1A, just heavy and not what I spent the most time with.

The coyotes around here are often 300-500 yards out, they have been shot at plenty...
    The fact that we have 300-500 yards is a factor in what tool you choose if you aren't married to some specific firearm because it's "Tacti-Cool".

I'm not sure a 7.62x39 would do the job as well as .308/7.62x51 does.
    If it was an accurate build with premium ammo, but that's not what most guys do with 7.62x39.

Lots of .243 & .22-250 up here used by the guys that actually aim and hit something...
    They think my .308 is 'Overkill' but the pests/varmints don't seem to complain. ;)

You run what works for you, and if that's a Mini 30, more power to you!
    Its neither a 'Cheap' firearm, or a junky firearm, it's solid, reliable, reasonably accurate, and the varmints are just as dead, and that's what counts with a 'Tool' working firearm.

After all, I saw nothing about trying to shoot 1,000 yards for 'Bragging Rights', just varmint control...
    Right tool for the job,100% dead on the money!

Footnote,
    I haven't seen an off the shelf rifle in 45 years that couldn't benefit from a trip to a gunsmith for a tune up.
    The 'Lawyer' triggers starting in the 80s is almost mandatory on any make...

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Somebody asked for pictures...

41130973472_b22eed0f20_z.jpg

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I put a military M1 Garand web sling on it yesterday. I was surprised to find out it needed modification to make fit!

I had to file the sides of the butt clip and also cut off the end tab to fit in the loops provided. Of course I used a lighter to sear the end and remove all Irish pennants. It looks good but my fingers are sore...

DSC05896.JPG
    DSC05897.JPG
    DSC05898.JPG

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Before anyone comments on the improper rear sling loop, I marked the web for a shooting position but returned it to max length to prevent the front clasp from digging into my shoulder. I will have it at 'sling arms' more than walking around the farm with a shooting glove on...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I tell people that someday I will be able to hide my own Easter eggs. It will be good to get some of this crap out of my head...

Top Bottom