• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Booshie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Wow, that looks great. The white definitely makes the lettering pop out at you.
    As far as other colors go, I'd say a cherry or firetruck red would look great, maybe even mixed with some white?

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Looks good.

An interesting option that I tried was a white china marker. It's extremely durable and hardly needs to be touched up though it is easily and quickly removed with an old toothbrush. I was take-it-or-leave-it about lettering the gun but really wanted it on the magazines.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Looks good.

An interesting option that I tried was a white china marker. It's extremely durable and hardly needs to be touched up though it is easily and quickly removed with an old toothbrush. I was take-it-or-leave-it about lettering the gun but really wanted it on the magazines.

Is the ink water soluble?

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Basically, I just globbed it on there the first 2 coats. Only cover the areas you want filled in, don't just paint the entire side of the slide with the finger nail polish. After I had done the second coat, I put the brush in a vertical orientation and pushed color into the stamping (so yes, like grout work). Do you like it Sir?

Yes i think it looks really good. I was just wondering how you go about doing it. Thanks

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Is the ink water soluble?
    It's not ink. It's very much like a crayon ... waxy (come to think of it, I wonder if a crayon might work?). Went to the Walmart craft section and picked up a white china marker. Cleaned the slide. Dried it. Went back and forth over the lettering with the marker and wiped off the excess with a dry napkin. Done. It stays in there pretty good. I have had the gun out in the rain and have dropped the mags in muddy puddles without effect. I am sure that immersion would start to degrade the wax. If it needs to be touched up, it literally takes a second or two. It holds up pretty good during cleaning too.

To remove it, a simple spray of Outer's Nitro Solvent and 30 seconds of scrubbing with a toothbrush gets it out.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    It's not ink. It's very much like a crayon ... waxy (come to think of it, I wonder if a crayon might work?). Went to the Walmart craft section and picked up a white china marker. Cleaned the slide. Dried it. Went back and forth over the lettering with the marker and wiped off the excess with a dry napkin. Done. It stays in there pretty good. I have had the gun out in the rain and have dropped the mags in muddy puddles without effect. I am sure that immersion would start to degrade the wax. If it needs to be touched up, it literally takes a second or two. It holds up pretty good during cleaning too.

To remove it, a simple spray of Outer's Nitro Solvent and 30 seconds of scrubbing with a toothbrush gets it out.

Thought of doing this, but wax will melt when heated (obviously). I wanted something I didn't have to keep re-applying.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Thought of doing this, but wax will melt when heated (obviously). I wanted something I didn't have to keep re-applying.

Hmmm, never thought of that. However, before I threw paint on the whole thing, it was an EDC as well as a match gun. It would spend endless days in a holster throughout the summer. Took it to many a match ... including many hot days with round counts over a hundred. Never had an issue with the lettering.

All I would say to anyone contemplating doing the lettering, give the china marker a try. It will let you see what the gun will look like with less than three minutes of your time. If you want to make it permanent, you can go ahead with the nail polish. However, if you wait until the china marker starts to wear off before you do the polish, you might find yourself waiting for quite a while.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Hmmm, never thought of that. However, before I threw paint on the whole thing, it was an EDC as well as a match gun. It would spend endless days in a holster throughout the summer. Took it to many a match ... including many hot days with round counts over a hundred. Never had an issue with the lettering.

All I would say to anyone contemplating doing the lettering, give the china marker a try. It will let you see what the gun will look like with less than three minutes of your time. If you want to make it permanent, you can go ahead with the nail polish. However, if you wait until the china marker starts to wear off before you do the polish, you might find yourself waiting for quite a while.

One coat of polish only took 5 minutes, it's not taxing at all. You really can't mess it up. I say take the plunge like I did and do it right.

Top Bottom