I want to obtain the legal right to own a suppressor...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    I have looked and searched this site, but have not found an answer to this question. If this has been answered somewhere else, I apologize.

How do I go about paying for the federal tax to obtain permission to legally own a suppressor? If I am a LTCH holder already does that help?

Please, if someone could just give me a little Suppressors 101, that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    What he said...
    But basically, go somewhere where they sell suppressors, pay for the suppressor, fill out the paperwork, get CLEO to sign it, send out the paperwork with check, wait, wait some more, wait even longer, receive approval back from BATFE, take stamp to shop where you bought your suppressor, show stamp, pick up suppressor, leave happy, install and shoot, repeat.

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    What he said...
    But basically, go somewhere where they sell suppressors, pay for the suppressor, fill out the paperwork, get CLEO to sign it, send out the paperwork with check, wait, wait some more, wait even longer, receive approval back from BATFE, take stamp to shop where you bought your suppressor, show stamp, pick up suppressor, leave happy, install and shoot, repeat.

Thanks, this was much quicker and easier to understand. I also appreciate you not immediately hinting that, "if I would have only read the FAQ's, I would know all there is to know about INGO".

The FAQ's are extremely thorough and the Mod's did a great job on them... but, they are lengthy and every once in a while it's nice to get JUST the info you're looking for and not have to search and read for 20 minutes to find my answer... AND every so often there's also a good ol' guy who just shoots it straight, and for that, I THANK YOU!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Thanks, this was much quicker and easier to understand. I also appreciate you not immediately hinting that, "if I would have only read the FAQ's, I would know all there is to know about INGO".

I'm sorry that I didn't spoon-feed you the information you asked for. Maybe I'll just stop bothering keeping the FAQ up to date since it's such a chore to read, especially this part right here:

How do I acquire NFA items?
    There is no blanket "license" to own NFA items for non-dealer individuals. For each item that you want to purchase, you must pay the Federal Government a one-time $200 transfer tax. This happens when you go to transfer a machine gun or suppressor or any other NFA item from a dealer, or if in-state, an individual. You submit the application for transfer (in duplicate) along with $200 to the NFA division of the BATFE and upon approval, you can take possession of your item. Along with your submission of the appropriate transfer form, you must also submit a Citizenship Certification, a set of your fingerprints (taken by a qualifying agency, and in duplicate) and the transfer form must be signed by your Chief Local Law Enforcement Officer. It sounds complicated, but rest assured that it is not. In most jurisdictions in Indiana, obtaining the CLEO sign-off is as easy as walking into the police station and asking to see the Chief/Sheriff, however there is a more formalized process in Indianapolis that takes more on the order of a couple weeks to complete.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm sorry that I didn't spoon-feed you the information you asked for. Maybe I'll just stop bothering keeping the FAQ up to date since it's such a chore to read, especially this part right here:

Could you please dumb it down a bit, maybe go with me, and loan me the $200 to pay the tax, just 'til payday?

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana

How do I acquire NFA items?
    There is no blanket "license" to own NFA items for non-dealer individuals. For each item that you want to purchase, you must pay the Federal Government a one-time $200 transfer tax. This happens when you go to transfer a machine gun or suppressor or any other NFA item from a dealer, or if in-state, an individual. You submit the application for transfer (in duplicate) along with $200 to the NFA division of the BATFE and upon approval, you can take possession of your item. Along with your submission of the appropriate transfer form, you must also submit a Citizenship Certification, a set of your fingerprints (taken by a qualifying agency, and in duplicate) and the transfer form must be signed by your Chief Local Law Enforcement Officer. It sounds complicated, but rest assured that it is not. In most jurisdictions in Indiana, obtaining the CLEO sign-off is as easy as walking into the police station and asking to see the Chief/Sheriff, however there is a more formalized process in Indianapolis that takes more on the order of a couple weeks to complete.

I did not mean that toward you in the least bit. I was speaking to redneckmedic when I said:
    I also appreciate you not immediately hinting that, "if I would have only read the FAQ's, I would know all there is to know about INGO".
    I am just new here and new to forums in general. I have read most of the FAQ's you have and they are extremely detailed, thorough, and well-written. I joined last month and I try to read them a little bit at a time because they are so extensive. I probably have read 1/3 of the way down 'the Official INGO FAQ's' so that I CAN be a better INGO'er and not bug people with reposts or questions that are obvious.
    But, the fact that this was an honest case of inexperience, and lack of 'FORUM know how', I now feel like I am looked down upon for asking questions. Questions that I tried to find myself prior to posting this thread.

I searched for "supressor", "obtaining a suppressor", etc before I posted this... I even apologized in the OP, if this information was elsewhere. I now know that there is a separate area to search the FAQ's and I won't make this mistake again.

All I meant by my last post was, it doesn't take a genius to see that I am a newbie looking to expand my knowledge of firearms and self-defense, and I had a simple question... I appreciated you directing me to where a thorough answer was.. I read the entire section about NFA's. I just thought it was kind of rude to suggest that I didn't look for for this information before posting...

INGO has a FAQ :dunno:

when I actually did and was unfortunately unsuccessful. Also, I was pointing out that SOMETIMES it's nice to get a straight forward and simple answer.

I just want to point out that, not everyone is an expert INGO'er. That does not make us any less entitled to ask questions. But sometimes, I have noticed some people like to take shots at people who do not live and breathe INGO. I just think it drives away those of us who are fairly new to the 'firearm enthusiast community' who lack experience and get told about it by the 'Veterans' every chance they get. Newbies (at least myself) usually make up for there inexperience with enthusiasm to learn and excitement for all the new things to come.

I do not need you to 'spoon feed me' either, although, I do appreciate your help by sending me the link to the NFA FAQ's. It answered all questions I could ever have. I am on my lunch break now, and had time to read them... earlier, while on the clock, the cliff notes from JTgarner just hit the spot.

Last edited:

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    In my previous experiences it seems that when one complains about a negative rep it is perceived as whining and therefore many more people tend to negative rep them for it.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I just realized you (Scutter01) gave me negative feedback also? Really? For what? Saying I appreciate someone giving me the cliff notes version on how to buy a suppressor? I was at work and didn't have time to read the FAQ's that you wrote?

And your reason for giving me negative feedback was that my post was that it was "LAME"?
    Seems a bit childish for a person with authority on this site to try to punish someone for not reading EVERY last word of the FAQ's and then saying THANKS to someone who gave me a quick answer when I was busy at work.

THAT IS WRONG.

I gave you negative feedback because I didn't appreciate being called out for not giving you the information in the exact format in which you wanted:

I hardly think that's "punishment", but am I not allowed to express my opinion on someone badmouthing me, especially when I've given them what they were looking for? Being a moderator somehow enjoins me against giving out a negative rep? I take a LOT of garbage on INGO that I don't deserve because if I respond then I'm somehow "not being professional" or people "expect better of me". And now you're calling me out a second time (publicly, I might add) for responding. No, sir, I can't say that I appreciate it and I won't bother to pointing anyone to the information in the future as clearly it's bringing me nothing but pain.

The reason virtually all websites have FAQ's is because many of the same questions get asked over and over again and it becomes tedious to keep re-answering them each time. FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions.

How could I possibly think anything other than that you were directing your comment at me? I recommended that you could find the information in the INGO FAQ, and your next comment was that you didn't want to be directed to the FAQ.

ETA: I also notice that you've gone back and completely edited your previous post after I responded.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Facebook has "Like".

INGO has "rep".

These are simply ways of saying "I like your post" or "I don't like your post". Just because someone is a Moderator doesn't mean that they aren't allowed an opinion.

SHEEP I'm glad you've come to INGO to search out your needed information, but calling out someone who operates the site, especially after they've offered you answers, is not the best way to approach a forum.

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    Another newbie mistake... I should have quoted redneck instead of just assuming my comments were obviously directed at the person I was truly talking to when I made that comment. (Not directed at scutter01)

I think this is a good example of how things can get lost in translation over the web.

Also, I totally think everyone, including mods, are entitled to leave rep... I just thought I didn't deserve it, but, who does? I truly wasn't aiming that original comment at scutter though. I have only met one moderator so far (danielocean) and he was a really nice guy, so I assume they are all of similar standing.

I am over this, and I hope whoever else is involved is too... sorry guys... misunderstanding.:ingo:

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I searched for "supressor", "obtaining a suppressor", etc before I posted this... I even apologized in the OP, if this information was elsewhere. I now know that there is a separate area to search the FAQ's and I won't make this mistake again.

I feel like I say this a lot, but.....INGO's search sucks. Try using google with "ingunowners.com" followed by whatever words you are hoping to find. It will then do a site search and let you peruse the results a little easier than our native engine does.

For example:
    ingunowners.com suppressor license

....and boom, first result has Scutter directing you to the FAQ. :)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I feel like I say this a lot, but.....INGO's search sucks. Try using google with "ingunowners.com" followed by whatever words you are hoping to find. It will then do a site search and let you peruse the results a little easier than our native engine does.

For example:
    ingunowners.com suppressor license

At the risk of being chastised again, I'm going to suggest adding "site:" before "ingunowners.com", like this:

site:ingunowners.com suppressor license

That will narrow down the Google search to only return hits on INGO, rather than any hit that contains the phrase "ingunowners.com".

Top Bottom