• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I know this is the classic "gun guy" mantra of the hyper-aware civilian operator, but can you explain why? I've heard this so many times (usually at gun shops right before or after "the lifetime carry permit is going away"), but no one can ever provide any sound reasoning as to why they choose to have their back against a wall.

I think this goes back to Wild Bill Hickok. He was shot in the back while playing poker. He normally wouldn't sit with his back to the door, but that was the only seat available on the day he was killed.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Ever been attacked by a wall?

Nope. Never been attacked by anyone. However, if something should "go down" while I'm eating in a restaurant, my primary concern is getting my family and myself out of danger as quickly as possible. Back to a wall severely limits my options.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Nope. Never been attacked by anyone...

Just checking. Actually, I have been attacked by a wall...conrete block wall, no less. Honestly, I guess I was the aggressor. I came at it with a cold chisel and a mini sledge. It partially "collapsed" in my direction.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm going to Denny this one a bit- sitting with your back to the wall is not the same as sitting with your back to the door.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Where I sit in a public place changes dependent on situations. My wife always ask which side I want at a table or booth I want to sit at to give me my best position to protect her.

Most of the time I sit with my strong side towards the wall or windows of a booth. This allows me the opportunity to unholster and have my firearm ready if needed (Hopefully undetected).

There are times that there are only one table left and you have to choose the best of a not so good position.

Chez now has me thinking that maybe a booth (the wifes fav) might not be the best choice for mobility in a bad situation.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I'm going to Denny this one a bit- sitting with your back to the wall is not the same as sitting with your back to the door.

I think what most people mean is that one should sit so they can see the entrance.

Getting back to Wild Bill: If I remember the story correctly, he had been having some vision problems. He normally made it a point to sit where he could see who was coming in to the saloon.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The idea is to be able to see people coming in and watching their actions. Hell, I even look at people getting out of their cars in the parking lot. If 3 carloads of "gangstas" pull into the lot you want to have that information before they enter the building. And you need to know where that exit is.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Finished with the pics and headed to Golden Corral for lunch. We sat down and then headed up to get our food. As I was headed up, a lady sitting down said "excuse me sir." I turned around and said yes mam'. She said thanks for carrying, we've all got your back.

I thought maybe my shirt had come untucked but it hadn't and I figured she had just noticed the right time when I had printed.

A little bit later, she was standing next to me atbthe buffet line. She said her husband noticed the metal clips of my holster on my belt. She said if anything happens, her whole table was ready.

I said good to know and thanks.
    This is the first time someone has said something when I've been trying to conceal.

By chance was her table filled with old ladies waving dollar bills?
    She just thought you were the entertainment.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Why is this more important when eating? Most of your life you deal with those 360°. Sitting with your back to a wall also eliminates an entire 180° of potential egress travel.
    That's why you don't sit with your back into a corner... no egress.

I try to always be facing the most people... usually the door area if possible.

If in a booth I prefer being at the aisle... unless it is a buffet, then I don't like a booth because all the moving throws off my eating if I am sitting with another person in the same seat.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The vast majority of the general public can't tell you what color truck they followed to Golden Corral, much less if someone around them may be carrying. Your story is another good reason to sit with your back to the wall if at all possible.

...ok it's late and I've sworn off nicotine for going on five days now so my brain isn't working...what exactly is this supposed to mean?

Ok, just to clarify, I know what sitting with your back to the wall is about and I do it every chance I'm afforded. What I meant was how was this particular story a "good reason?"

The main take-aways that I got were that OP was spotted and a lady thanked him for carrying and said that everyone at her table was "ready," which seems like a dorky-operator way of putting it.

I guess I can see two possible answers here:

1) If you have a table of "operators" who are all "ready," you need to see trouble coming before they do so you can make sure their taticality (C) doesn't get them killed.

2) Since you've been spotted, you need to be more alert because "they always kill the guy with the gun first."

Last edited:

Nate@TeamAB

Plinker
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Lafayette
    Sorry to hijack the thread apparently. The OP mentioned being made, type of holster, thought he was concealed, etc. Sitting back to the wall, like most of us do anyways, would have likely prevented the encounter all together.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Ahh Golden Corral. Last time I went to one was the Bedford location this past fall. While there, I noticed a large fellow (I say this because I am a big guy and he easily had 3" and 70# on me) carrying a 1911 in a shoulder holster and a revolver (SP101? It's been a while) on a leather belt with spare rounds in loops on the belt (think cowboy action shooting) and a Crocodile Dundee type of black hat. He was a sight (no offense if it was you) and I was really surprised that nobody seemed to be staring or freaking out because I'm not sure that the word "concealment" was in his vocabulary.

That really sounds like a guy that lives just outside of Fairmount.. If it's him, he is a very interesting ( odd ) fellow.. Very nice but odd.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Sorry to hijack the thread apparently. The OP mentioned being made, type of holster, thought he was concealed, etc. Sitting back to the wall, like most of us do anyways, would have likely prevented the encounter all together.

They could have only seen my holster clips as I walked by. We sat at a table where the lady who I refered to could not see us.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I know this is the classic "gun guy" mantra of the hyper-aware civilian operator, but can you explain why? I've heard this so many times (usually at gun shops right before or after "the lifetime carry permit is going away"), but no one can ever provide any sound reasoning as to why they choose to have their back against a wall.

:runaway:

Top Bottom