• Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The open gun gave him a mean streak.

I can see it now.....
    "What the **** do you mean I get a penalty for moving while reloading? That's bull****!"

Rule 5 AND rule 8 DQ. He's an over-achiever like that.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I've shot one IDPA match and three USPSA matches so far; I really didn't enjoy the IDPA match for the following reasons: the RO was an idiot (try to tell me IDPA was real life, get you ready for a real self defense situation, yada, yada, yada .. pure Mall Ninja), the stage descriptions .. had to bite my tongue a few times to keep from laughing. I really don't have any issues with USPSA except for most matches being on Sunday bunch of sinners.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Is it a common consensus that IDPA is the "junior" circuit?

They took it out of the latest rulebook, I assume because they don't like the perception that you point out, but the IDPA rulebook used to say something like the game is "geared towards the new or average shooter." I guess they think if they take that out of the book, then it will no longer be true....

-rvb

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    They took it out of the latest rulebook, I assume because they don't like the perception that you point out, but the IDPA rulebook used to say something like the game is "geared towards the new or average shooter." I guess they think if they take that out of the book, then it will no longer be true....

-rvb

Thanks.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Here's something that ought to get things jumping:
    A chart that shows the relative skill levels. It's Bob Vogel approved, I've been told.

Kinda goes to the "junior league" question.

Skills_zps102fc8f7.jpg

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    "Back in 1997 there were just over 1,000 members.
    Well, today the International Defensive Pistol Association is in all 50 states, as well as active in 54 foreign countries. There are 422 affiliated clubs. And as as of the end of March, the total membership stands at more than 22,800."

Don't know if the more established sport versus newer sport thing is part of the equation. Locally I see a lot of the same folks at both types of events & when you read how the hot dogs did at the big matches there seem to be a lot of the same names, so stuff sorta looks the same at the top and the bottom. Could probably get more of the better mid level shooters interested in IDPA if they opened up a class for the orthopedic guns with the recoil helpers & such
    :gaychase:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    OUCH!! Thats going to hurt some feelings!

Some folks have had their feelings hurt over the chart over the interwebz, but I don't understand why.

I shoot IDPA primarily but I've shot some USPSA as well. I'm an ESR/MA and have no classification in USPSA. I figured a classifier once and if I shot six classifiers at the same % I think I came out to a C class or something. But, here's the thing. The IDPA classification system was formulated off the performance of top shooters once many years ago. Part of the classication system is paring a set of skills in the classifier to common field courses. As I understand USPSA classification, you are looking for a high hit factor on classifier stages compared the best in the world right now. IDPA field courses are low round count and generally shorter shots compared to USPSA which, in the matches I've shot (Owensboro, Welborn courses) the shots are longer and round counts nearly double. Then there's the whole issue of figuring out how to run a course. IDPA answers that for you during the walk through.

All this is just a long way of saying that you don't have to shoot 95% of Vogel in IDPA to have a place at higher class levels in IDPA matches. USPSA determines class in a whole different way, judging all by the best of the best right now. It's more fluid and, naturally, harder to class high in USPSA.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    "Back in 1997 there were just over 1,000 members.
    Well, today the International Defensive Pistol Association is in all 50 states, as well as active in 54 foreign countries. There are 422 affiliated clubs. And as as of the end of March, the total membership stands at more than 22,800."

Don't know if the more established sport versus newer sport thing is part of the equation. Locally I see a lot of the same folks at both types of events & when you read how the hot dogs did at the big matches there seem to be a lot of the same names, so stuff sorta looks the same at the top and the bottom. Could probably get more of the better mid level shooters interested in IDPA if they opened up a class for the orthopedic guns with the recoil helpers & such
    :gaychase:

You don't have to be a member of USPSA to shooot club level matches.
    If you want to shoot a second match in IDPA,you have to join.
    A whole bunch of people shoot USPSA every weekend and never join.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Honestly, let's name names. Who among our shooting buddies would be DQ'ed before we even start?
    You
    Me
    Jake
    Chaney

I would barely make it inside the gate. If the windows are down, it maybe the road outside the club.

I keep thinking I want to try IDPA. Then Silly Rules Keep Showing Up On The Interweb. I guess I'll keep my tactics to defensive classes and practice.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I've shot one IDPA match and three USPSA matches so far; I really didn't enjoy the IDPA match for the following reasons: the RO was an idiot (try to tell me IDPA was real life, get you ready for a real self defense situation, yada, yada, yada .. pure Mall Ninja), the stage descriptions .. had to bite my tongue a few times to keep from laughing. I really don't have any issues with USPSA except for most matches being on Sunday bunch of sinners.

Yep, you've definitely shot USPSA since you've branded us all sinners. We are. By IDPA rules, we are probably classified as heathens and demons.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    If it werent necessary they would not have to have you sign such a document. I have witnessed some unbelieveable actions of disregard for other shooters at different IDPA and USPSA matches. Unfortunately not everyboby has respect for the sport and the other shooters. That being said 99% of the shooters are great folks. It's the 1% that cause the issues.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    You don't have to be a member of USPSA to shooot club level matches.
    If you want to shoot a second match in IDPA,you have to join.
    A whole bunch of people shoot USPSA every weekend and never join.

:whistle:

Will be interesting to see how well IDPA does with the force them to join thing, very likely there are clubs that would try to enforce it to it but I haven't shot at one yet. Personally I think it is a way bad decision and a rule best gleefully ignored :shady:.
    The level 2 match and beyond USPSA thing makes a lot more sense to me.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    :whistle:

Will be interesting to see how well IDPA does with the force them to join thing, very likely there are clubs that would try to enforce it to it but I haven't shot at one yet. Personally I think it is a way bad decision and a rule best gleefully ignored :shady:.
    The level 2 match and beyond USPSA thing makes a lot more sense to me.

Atlanta enforces it.

And I'm reporting you to HQ for criticizing. :):

Top Bottom