If new caliber laws pass for Deer Season, what will you use next year?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Would probably use my 300BLK in a rifle configuration instead of in a pistol configuration. Might also give dad's 30-30 a try for nostalgia. Where I hunt there typically aren't many shots over 100yds, so some of the larger full power rifle rounds won't really provide any advantage for me personally.

The one thing that worries me about changes is that it could further embolden the "orange army" to be sloppy with technique since they can further rely on quantity vs. quality. We already hear it every opening day of season as it is...guys that unload their 12ga on a running deer just before daylight. Can't wait for that to be a bunch of .30 cal bullets flying through the woods. I would bet a cup of coffee that if .308 comes back into play in rifles, there will be some mouth breather out there with an M1a and 20rd box that decides to unload all 20 rounds in rapid succession on a pack of deer as they run by.

I don't like the current burdensome restrictions on caliber and type of weapon, but also wish that more hunters practiced safe and ethical techniques. To an extent I think current regulations do help prevent some folks from doing even more dumb stuff in the woods. Not that the current guidelines prevent a guy from unloading all the rounds from his .458 Socom AR, or .300BLK AR pistol, but it seems that generally the guys that decide to build one of those rifles and hunt with it are usually decent shots and experienced hunters that only need one shot to kill their target.

Last edited:

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I can't decide between .270 and 30-06. I am really wanting to have one bolt action rifle that can do it all. If I want to use it for deer season, to bang out some coyotes etc...

I read that the 30-06 can take anything in North America but doubt I would ever shoot a bear, moose. I might want to go out west one day for an elk hunt...I would think .270 would work for that. I am leaning .270 as the online reviews seem to give it an edge in accuracy and long range hunting.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    Might build a 6.8 upper for the AR just because, but in all reality will probably stick with the mathews, the Mossberg 500, and the TC muzzle loader.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Where i hunt I have some decent size fields bordered by woods where a 450+ yard shot would just be about the max. It would be nice to sit in one corner and be able to cover everything and not have to play the guessing game of which trail are the deer going to use today. With that being said maybe a nice bolt action .300 win mag or even a .308 upper for my AR would be nice. Another choice would be a Remington 7mm ultra mag. My friend has one he used in PA to hunt with and its a tack driver out to 500 yards. But in reality Ill probably just stick with my Hoyt and my CVA Accura

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    If the regulations are expanded to allow for it, never mind a Mosin-Nagant. I'd love being able to put my CMP service grade Springfield Armory U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30 M1, to work on something other than punching holes in paper.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If the regulations are expanded to allow for it, never mind a Mosin-Nagant. I'd love being able to put my CMP service grade Springfield Armory U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30 M1, to work on something other than punching holes in paper.

But, but, but! A Mosin with the bayonet attached can be used to spear the deer clear across rivers! And if there's no river handy to stab them across, one shot and the concussion should knock several out cold. After all, isn't the Mosin-Nagant the :chuck: of guns???

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    But, but, but! A Mosin with the bayonet attached can be used to spear the deer clear across rivers! And if there's no river handy to stab them across, one shot and the concussion should knock several out cold. After all, isn't the Mosin-Nagant the :chuck: of guns???

Your poor hunting partner, I can see it now- "The first man in line gets a rifle, the second, ammunition. When the first hunter is gored by a rut crazed buck, the second man picks up the rifle, and shoots." By the way, Chuck Norris is a bad a**, but wouldn't the ideal b.a. for a Mosin be the legendary Simo Hayha or "The End" from the Metal Gear Solid franchise?

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I had 3 shotguns that were legal. When they went to pistol caliber I had 11 guns that were legal. With the next change I will have 42 legal firearms.

Whooo Hooo!

don

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Your poor hunting partner, I can see it now- "The first man in line gets a rifle, the second, ammunition. When the first hunter is gored by a rut crazed buck, the second man picks up the rifle, and shoots." By the way, Chuck Norris is a bad a**, but wouldn't the ideal b.a. for a Mosin be the legendary Simo Hayha or "The End" from the Metal Gear Solid franchise?

Actually, comparing a Mosin to Chuck Norris is underwhelming in the extreme. Chuck Norris doesn't use guns to hunt...he just walks up to a critter and tells it to "Die, or else." To date, he hasn't missed a kill.

:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Top Bottom